0 0%
  • Jesus of Nazareth

1 25.00%
  • The Last Temptation of Christ

0 0%
  • The Passion of the Christ

1 25.00%

Movies Starring Jesus Christ

There seem to be alot of movies about time of Jesus such as Ben Hur or Life Of Brian, but Jesus is not the main charactor. So to make this poll easier, the selected movies are based on Jesus being the star and main charactor in the movie.

Ranked according to release date:

The King of Kings (1927): Cecil B. DeMille's movie about the last weeks of Jesus before his crucifixion.

The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964): A simple down to earth and probably the most authentic looking Jesus.

The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965): Star-studded cast includes Max Von Sydow as Jesus.

Godspell (1973): Godspell is the film adaptation of the Off-Broadway musical Godspell.

Jesus Christ Superstar (1973): Written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice and every word is sung, not spoken.

Jesus of Nazareth (1977): At six and a half hours, Franco Zeffirelli's mini-series gets to explore the Gospels at greater length.

The Last Temptation of Christ (1988): It debuted in 1988 by director Martin Scorsese and featured Willem Dafoe as Christ, who has many temptations during his life leading up to his crucifixion.

The Passion of the Christ (2004): Mel Gibson's highly controversial, and highly personal, meditation on the death of Christ.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I am a big Godspell fan along with Jesus Christ Superstar. I still have both original cast recordings. I saw JC Superstar on the stage but only saw the movie version of Godspell. I like my Jesus a little more human.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thanks John

if you like your Jesus more human, you might also enjoy the Italian film The Gospel According to St. Matthew (although hard to find). The director Pier Pasolini who is an atheist tried to present Jesus as human as possible with shaggy cloths, unwaven hair and humble looking.

I only wished they make film about life of Jesus as grand as Ten Commandments which was about Moses.
    Last edited by Smokey; 06-25-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Where was Life of Brian in the poll?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Bobsticks, please read the original post

I was tempted to vote for The Greatest Story Ever Told as the best film about life Christ, but the slow pace and scenery that resemble western epic (filmed in Arizona) than bilical one combined with cameos that was there just for the heck of it make (like John Wayne) me take a second look.

So may have to vote for Jesus of Nazareth as the best film. It have host of international stars such as Sir Lawrence Olivier, Rod Steiger, Anne Bancroft, Ernest Borgnine, James Earl Jones, Anthony Quinn (among others), it is everything The Greatest Story Ever Told tried to be.

Thread Information