Sunshine

Printable View

• 08-02-2007, 12:40 PM
    Gerald Cooperberg
    Sunshine
    I went and saw this sci-fi flick from writer/director Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, Millions) yesterday afternoon. It was ridiculous plotwise (something about having to fly a bomb into the sun in order to "reignite" it... I watched the whole film and it never got clearer than that) but also ridiculously beautiful in parts. Boyle sure has a visual imagination and this wasn't a letdown in that regard. He knows how to dazzle with vivid colors and fancifully epic images. I'm not going to go right out and advocate the purchase of illegal substances, but say you just happen to have ingested some hallucinogenic mushrooms... you could find much worse ways to spend yr afternoon. The cast is led by Cillian Murphy's cheekbones, with a supporting ensemble that includes Rose Byrne, Cillian Murphy's impossibly blue eyes, Chris Evans, Michelle Yeoh, Cillian Murphy, Cliff Curtis, and Benedict Wong. Some of the acting is a little overwrought but it fits the tone of the film pretty well, which basically takes the stock crew of an interplanetary spacecraft and bounces them from one eye-popping disaster to another. Terrific popcorn entertainment, if you are willing to leave all skepticism at the door.

-Coop