Summer Movies!!!!

Printable View

• 04-29-2005, 06:26 AM
    Kam
    Summer Movies!!!!
    So summer "blockbuster" is about to start... the lineup... pretty impressive... what all are you guys looking forward to? kinda put my own anticipation rating next to 'em

Hitchhiker's Guide ++++
    Kingdom of Heaven ++
    Unleashed ++
    Ep III +++++
    Madagascar ++
    Lords of Dogtown ++
    Mr. & Mrs. Smith +
    Batman Begins ++++++++++++++++
    War of the Worlds +++++
    Fantastic Four ++
    Charlie and the Choc Factory ++
    The Island ++
    The Brother's Grimm +++
    2046 +++++
    Serenity +++

and i know Worfster, i am dissapointed as well, though i can't imagine how let down you must feel looking at the lineup... yes, i know, i know.... not a SINGLE vandamme release... what kind of summer have we come to when the muscles from brussels doesn't have a movie out??? we're stuck with the likes of lucas and spielberg battling it out... and NO vandamme? sign of the apocolypse i tell ya... well that and dubya..... (i keeeed i keeed, 'tis a joke, haha, funny, joking)

peace
    k2
  • 04-29-2005, 07:57 AM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam

Lords of Dogtown ++

Fantastic Four ++

I've seen the documentary called "Dogtown and Z-boys" narrarated by Sean Penn. I thought it was very interesting and it held my attention. They way it contrasted the Z-boys' skate style with the then prevailing style was humorous. I'm curious whether a fictional account of their story will be worthwhile after having seen the documentary. I do believe, however, that the movie is timely, if not a little late perhaps - one of the main reasons I watched the documentary is because my teenager is into the "skate punk culture." In fact, my son talked me into trying a pair of skate shoes and I have to admit they're the most comfortable and durable shoes I own. If anything, the new movie should have a hot-selling soundtrack.

I caught part of an episode of "Dinner for Five" last Friday night in which Michael Chiklis was talking about his costume for "Fantastic Four". Because I tuned in about half-way into the show, I really didn't know what he was talking about. Now I do. I thought the Silver Surfer used to team up with these guys, but this character doesn't appear in the credits. That would be a cool comic book character to see on the big screen.
  • 04-29-2005, 10:03 AM
    paul_pci
    I'm looking forward to Episode III, War of the Worlds, and Wonka, but the latter more because I like Depp and I'm curiious what bizarre things Burton will do to this basline story.
  • 04-29-2005, 10:29 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Hitchhiker's Guide

When I first saw the previews of this movie, I wet me self all up. Though Joe Segal from good morning america tore this movie up this morning(He is a Disney employee panning a Disney movie I think he is in trouble LOL) it hasn't waned my enthusiasm for this movie.

Ep III

This is another movie that I am excited about. Regardless to what people say about episode I and II(sorry Worf ducks and runs away) I like them both and can't wait for this one too.

Madagascar

When I saw the previews of this, I wasn't impressed at all. I then saw another preview cut differently and it got my interest piqued.

Batman Begins

All I can say is they better do a damn good job with this one. I have all but given up hope on this franchise after the last two movies were made(very bad)

War of the Worlds
    Fantastic Four
    Charlie and the Choc Factory

I didn't know they were doing remakes of these movies. I really like the Fantastic four cartoons when I was growing up. Charlie and the Chocolate factory was one of my favorite classic movies. I also like the old version of War of the Worlds. These ought to be a interesting view.
  • 04-29-2005, 01:00 PM
    Hawkeye
    I'm looking forward to 5-25-77 coming out next month. Check out a movie teaser at: http://www.5-25-77.com/teaser.html
    You'll need quicktime to view it.
  • 04-29-2005, 02:26 PM
    Woochifer
    The movie I'm most looking forward to is Batman Begins. Looks like a very cool concept of getting Batman back to the Dark Knight roots, and doing the back story of how Bruce Wayne transformed into a vigilante. After Joel Schumacher, Val Kilmer, the Guvernator, Alicia Silverstone, and (yikes) George Clooney grinded the last Batman series into a camped out mess, I'm looking forward to seeing a creative director/writer like Christopher Nolan (Memento, Insomnia) reinvent the series. This is his first big budget pic, and what I've seen from the trailers looks really interesting.

I'll most likely go see Episode III because I'm still breathing the fanboy fumes from the original trilogy. The first two installments have not been especially good, and in Lucas' effort to weave a more complex story, he drained the fun out of the movies. Episode II was an improvement over Episode I, but some of the dialog in that flick looked downright painful for the actors to recite because it sure as hell made me wince while hearing it.

One review of Episode II that I read had a rather amusing response for people who cringe at some of the bad scriptwonking in the Star Wars prequels. They suggested that to get through the painfully awful dialog with Anakin and Padme, the audience should insert the phrase "Because I'm on drugs!" after every line. I tried this approach while occupying time between battle scenes, and I was laughing uncontrollably. It actually fits!

"Anakin, I've always loved you ... BECAUSE I'M ON DRUGS"
    "It's not fair! Obi-Wan's holding me back ... BECAUSE I'M ON DRUGS"

Episode III looks like it will be interesting, then again, I held out hope for the first couple of prequels as well. So, if Lucas is really serious when he says that Episode III will be like Titanic (which had its own cringe-inducing lines), then I might need to deploy that gag once again.
  • 04-29-2005, 02:44 PM
    MomurdA
    Batman 3 and 4 were probably 2 of the worst movies i have ever seen. hopefully # 0 will be better, but there is no way it can compare to Burton's Batman. Episode 3 better be worth it. Hitchhikers had better be as funny as i remember the books and tv series. War of the Worlds will some cheese on the lvl of ID4 probably. What is 2046 and 5-25-77??
  • 04-29-2005, 02:49 PM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    I'm looking forward to 5-25-77 coming out next month. Check out a movie teaser at: http://www.5-25-77.com/teaser.html
    You'll need quicktime to view it.

Who the hell is Steven Spielberg??!!! Hah! Haven't heard that one in decades.
  • 04-29-2005, 09:00 PM
    RGA
    I hope the new batman is good because all of the ones they made would and still have me arguing that the hoakey 1960's film was the best of the lot.

Batman with Nicholson worked barely because of Jack Nicholson;s personality and when he was off screen the film was utter trash. **1/2 out of *****

Batman Returns well it was dark and gloomy but I had problems with the style --- I liked it a bit better on second view but it was still nothing riveting. **/****

Then we got the Riddler **/*****

Then we got stupid with Arnie. */*****

I liked the Star Wars movies -- well the original and Empire -- Return was about selling Ewoks to kids and the actors obviously were going through the motions...Harrison was disinterested from the get go.

Episode I was so horrendously bad I shut off after an hour -- whatever life Star Wars had was completely sucked out by the tone of the film. Taking that schlock and trying to make an audience take it seriously -- are you kidding me? Dreadful film. Jar Jar? Ughh.
  • 04-29-2005, 09:49 PM
    eisforelectronic
    My friend bought 55 Episode III advance tickets for us. The theater manager has promised us free drinks and waited to sell the first tickets to my friend. Our little group has been first in line at the local THX theaters for the past 2 episodes. This friend of mine has also built a lifesize remote control R2D2 replica that totally looks real. I think we might camp for near a week this time, we've already got permission from the theater mgmt, property owners and security. We normally camp in shifts so it's not too much of a bother...

STOP calling me a geek!!!!!
  • 04-30-2005, 10:42 AM
    paul_pci
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer
    The movie I'm most looking forward to is Batman Begins. Looks like a very cool concept of getting Batman back to the Dark Knight roots, and doing the back story of how Bruce Wayne transformed into a vigilante. After Joel Schumacher, Val Kilmer, the Guvernator, Alicia Silverstone, and (yikes) George Clooney grinded the last Batman series into a camped out mess, I'm looking forward to seeing a creative director/writer like Christopher Nolan (Memento, Insomnia) reinvent the series. This is his first big budget pic, and what I've seen from the trailers looks really interesting.

I'll most likely go see Episode III because I'm still breathing the fanboy fumes from the original trilogy. The first two installments have not been especially good, and in Lucas' effort to weave a more complex story, he drained the fun out of the movies. Episode II was an improvement over Episode I, but some of the dialog in that flick looked downright painful for the actors to recite because it sure as hell made me wince while hearing it.

One review of Episode II that I read had a rather amusing response for people who cringe at some of the bad scriptwonking in the Star Wars prequels. They suggested that to get through the painfully awful dialog with Anakin and Padme, the audience should insert the phrase "Because I'm on drugs!" after every line. I tried this approach while occupying time between battle scenes, and I was laughing uncontrollably. It actually fits!

"Anakin, I've always loved you ... BECAUSE I'M ON DRUGS"
    "It's not fair! Obi-Wan's holding me back ... BECAUSE I'M ON DRUGS"

Episode III looks like it will be interesting, then again, I held out hope for the first couple of prequels as well. So, if Lucas is really serious when he says that Episode III will be like Titanic (which had its own cringe-inducing lines), then I might need to deploy that gag once again.

What also works to hilarious ends is replacing key nouns with "pants."

"Anakin, I've always loved pants."
    "It's not fair! Obi-Wan' holding my pants."

I'm too lazy (and I don't own I or II) to provide my own examples.
  • 05-01-2005, 10:42 AM
    Worf101
    Pbbbst to you M' Laird!!!!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Hitchhiker's Guide

When I first saw the previews of this movie, I wet me self all up. Though Joe Segal from good morning america tore this movie up this morning(He is a Disney employee panning a Disney movie I think he is in trouble LOL) it hasn't waned my enthusiasm for this movie.

Ep III

This is another movie that I am excited about. Regardless to what people say about episode I and II(sorry Worf ducks and runs away) I like them both and can't wait for this one too.

Madagascar

When I saw the previews of this, I wasn't impressed at all. I then saw another preview cut differently and it got my interest piqued.

Batman Begins

All I can say is they better do a damn good job with this one. I have all but given up hope on this franchise after the last two movies were made(very bad)

War of the Worlds
    Fantastic Four
    Charlie and the Choc Factory

I didn't know they were doing remakes of these movies. I really like the Fantastic four cartoons when I was growing up. Charlie and the Chocolate factory was one of my favorite classic movies. I also like the old version of War of the Worlds. These ought to be a interesting view.

You better duck talkin' bout dem mobies. Does Jar Jar Binks die a horrible blood currdling death in Ep. II?? Please???!!!! I'm beggin here!!!!

Da Worfster
  • 05-01-2005, 10:46 AM
    Worf101
    Raspberry's to you to bud!!!!!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam
    So summer "blockbuster" is about to start... the lineup... pretty impressive... what all are you guys looking forward to? kinda put my own anticipation rating next to 'em

Hitchhiker's Guide ++++
    Kingdom of Heaven ++
    Unleashed ++
    Ep III +++++
    Madagascar ++
    Lords of Dogtown ++
    Mr. & Mrs. Smith +
    Batman Begins ++++++++++++++++
    War of the Worlds +++++
    Fantastic Four ++
    Charlie and the Choc Factory ++
    The Island ++
    The Brother's Grimm +++
    2046 +++++
    Serenity +++

and i know Worfster, i am dissapointed as well, though i can't imagine how let down you must feel looking at the lineup... yes, i know, i know.... not a SINGLE vandamme release... what kind of summer have we come to when the muscles from brussels doesn't have a movie out??? we're stuck with the likes of lucas and spielberg battling it out... and NO vandamme? sign of the apocolypse i tell ya... well that and dubya..... (i keeeed i keeed, 'tis a joke, haha, funny, joking)

peace
    k2

Or G*d**n Van Damme. Yeah you better telegraph dem jokes round here... fore the posse get formed. I'm stunned, stunned that you are pinning your summertime hopes "Batman Begins". I've learned, much to my eternal dismay NEVER to have high expectations from H'Wood they'll kill you every time. "Sky Captain" was a classic example. Hope BB doesn't burn ya.

Da Worfster :cool:
  • 05-01-2005, 10:54 AM
    Worf101
    Good lord man!!!!!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    My friend bought 55 Episode III advance tickets for us. The theater manager has promised us free drinks and waited to sell the first tickets to my friend. Our little group has been first in line at the local THX theaters for the past 2 episodes. This friend of mine has also built a lifesize remote control R2D2 replica that totally looks real. I think we might camp for near a week this time, we've already got permission from the theater mgmt, property owners and security. We normally camp in shifts so it's not too much of a bother...

STOP calling me a geek!!!!!

Have you no shame???!!! At long last have you noooo shame???!!! :D Hey, man I think the last two were excrement, but there's a style for every time. Long as you're you're havin' fun ain't hurtin' no one else.... dress up and let it all hang out!! Hell, grow hair and roar like a Wookie. for all I care just don't look for me till AFTER the reviews come out...

Da "Seriously thinkin' it's the end of time" Worfster

(geek) :D
  • 05-01-2005, 02:37 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    You better duck talkin' bout dem mobies. Does Jar Jar Binks die a horrible blood currdling death in Ep. II?? Please???!!!! I'm beggin here!!!!

Da Worfster

Worfster my esteemed buddy, back away from the hate-o-rade, back away man LOLOLOL

I cannot belive you hated Sky Captain. I absolutely loved this movie. I am too young to remember those old time serials, shoot I thought they were talkin about Cherrios! LOLOL
  • 05-01-2005, 06:01 PM
    Kam
    Quote:

Or G*d**n Van Damme. Yeah you better telegraph dem jokes round here... fore the posse get formed. I'm stunned, stunned that you are pinning your summertime hopes "Batman Begins". I've learned, much to my eternal dismay NEVER to have high expectations from H'Wood they'll kill you every time. "Sky Captain" was a classic example. Hope BB doesn't burn ya.

Da Worfster :cool:

i know... i know... have been trying not to get psyched about it, even skipped watching the HD trailer on apple... don't want to watch anything else about it.. but it's BATMAN! MY BATMAN! am such a huge fanatic fan of the caped crusader... ala our friend eis there with Ep3.... ok, well maybe not THAT crazy.. haha, (j/k eis).

but yeah, that's the problem with being hopelessly optimistic about hollywood movies, hoping beyond hope that the 'intelligent action movie' can yet be made with more regularity than once a decade. but i tell ya they'll come, even if i have to make 'em my own gall-darned self!

OH... and since you're a fellow eastsider worfster, i just got a gig that will be playing on the north east coast cable networks (so far, i've been told timewarner cable, but will check where else). can see my first commercial! but no more details... don't want to jinx it. keep your fingers crossed!!

peace
    k2
  • 05-01-2005, 07:25 PM
    eisforelectronic
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam
    i know... i know... have been trying not to get psyched about it, even skipped watching the HD trailer on apple... don't want to watch anything else about it.. but it's BATMAN! MY BATMAN! am such a huge fanatic fan of the caped crusader... ala our friend eis there with Ep3.... ok, well maybe not THAT crazy.. haha, (j/k eis).

peace
    k2

My friend just got back from Star Wars Celebration III in Indy. Those were some crazy pictures. A picture of a hundred asst stormtroopers may not be that unusual, except they weren't actors and they paid to be there.
  • 05-01-2005, 09:29 PM
    Kam
    just good fun.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    My friend just got back from Star Wars Celebration III in Indy. Those were some crazy pictures. A picture of a hundred asst stormtroopers may not be that unusual, except they weren't actors and they paid to be there.

check out the pic of the procession they caught.... hit the zoom button for a closeup and check out the guy in a jedi outfit behind the first stormtrooper... what the heck is Peter Jackson doing there?? hahaha.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NTERTAINMENT03
  • 05-02-2005, 12:49 AM
    eisforelectronic
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam
    check out the pic of the procession they caught.... hit the zoom button for a closeup and check out the guy in a jedi outfit behind the first stormtrooper... what the heck is Peter Jackson doing there?? hahaha.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NTERTAINMENT03

I think my friend said he spent like 12 hours waiting in lines.
  • 05-02-2005, 02:11 PM
    Defshep
    Excited about Episode 3 as well. I work for a radio station and I'm trying to work out a SW marathon at a beautifully restored historic theatre the saturday before SW3 opens. The first five SWs on the big screen! I wish they could play in order of the story. But since we can't include the latest installment, theatrical release order makes more sense. You guys think the marathon is a good idea?.
    By the way, Worfster. Fear not about a new VanDamme release. They don't count direct to video releases - so you may be in luck! (I kid, I kid!)
  • 05-03-2005, 09:35 AM
    eqm
    Quote:

Da Worfster

hate to ruin a man's hopes and dreams...

http://boards.theforce.net/Revenge_of_the_Sith_(Spoilers_Allowed)/b10331/19501984/?28

***in case anyone can't tell from the link, there are HEAVY spoilers about this movie here, so if you don't want em, don't click on the link! **