Kam

The Summer Movie Season Begins.

So now it begins... and what do we have in store for us? this.... seems very similar to last summer... remakes/ sequels/ comics/ and movies from books. anyone have anything that's a MUSTSEE this summer? I'd have to say the only ones i will not miss, will be the comics: X3 and Superman Returns. I'll prolly catch others, but i know those are the only two i'm actually planning on seeing.

May 12
    Goal! The Dream Begins
    Just My Luck
    Poseidon

May 19
    The Da Vinci Code
    Over the Hedge
    See No Evil

May 26
    X-Men: The Last Stand

Jun 2
    The Break-Up

Jun 6
    The Omen

Jun 9
    Cars
    A Prairie Home Companion

Jun 16
    The Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift
    The Lake House
    Nacho Libre

Jun 23
    Click
    Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties
    Waist Deep

Jun 30
    The Devil Wears Prada
    Superman Returns

July 7
    Pirates of teh Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest
    A Scanner Darkly

July 14
    My Super Ex-Girlfriend

July 21
    Lady in the Water
    Monster House

July 28
    Miami Vice

August 4
    Talladega Nights

August 11
    The Science of Sleep
    The Reaping
    Snakes on a Plane
    World Trade Center

August 18
    Clerks 2
    /create

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I'm kinda liking Jack Black these days - Nacho Libre just sounds funny.

To celebrate the release of Poseidon, I might try to find the original The Poseidon Adventure on dvd. I equate Poseidon with Borgnine. No Borgnine, no Poseidon.

Clerks 2? Could be interesting.

Miami Vice? Please! I thought this was behind us.

Too bad our printer friend isn't here to fill us in on the making of Fast & Furious part trois.

Slim pickin's for sure. X-men, Superman and maybe Garfield.

May just wait for the DVD's to come out.

I still believe that our little de-funked printer is up there somewhere watching over us.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

For me, the must see will only be Pirates 2, as I thoroughly enjoyed the first one. The trailer for Superman Returns was too messianic for me and turned me off of that. Will probably go see Da Vinci code out of curiosity, but I think Hanks is miscast in that movie. But we'll see.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    The trailer for Superman Returns was too messianic for me and turned me off of that.
    messianic

adj : of or relating to a messiah promising deliverance; "messianic cult"

Good word, Paul! (I had dictionary.com in another window - just messin' around before getting back to the task at hand.)

Man, seems like an underwhelming response so far considering that the amount of money budgeted into these summer movies has gone through the roof! I'm primarily curious about Superman Returns, but the buzz that I've read has been decidedly mixed. I also plan to see Pirates of the Caribbean, but I've gotten very leery of two-part sequels given how Back To The Future and The Matrix did.

With M:I:III not performing as well as expected, and predictions that Poseidon will bomb big time, it looks like The Da Vinci Code can't arrive soon enough for theater owners. But, in addition to Poseidon, movies like The Omen remake and Miami Vice have me scratching my head more than anything. Otherwise, I see a lot of opportunities for some lower budget/profile sleepers to sneak into the mix, much the same way that Wedding Crashers did to the tune of over $200 million at the box office last summer.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

I am wondering why anyone acts like the Summer is much different than any other time during the year when it comes to releases. First, we are plagued by remakes, sequals, etc etc all year round, but the summer just has a high concentration of fluff. Then again...I blame the idiots that go to see this garbage, not necessarily the studios..they only market crap because that's what people want to see. Don't believe me? I doubt a movie like LAWRENCE OF ARABIA would be nearly the spectacle nowaways as it was in 1962. People don't want to think, they don't want to engage, they want the movie to zone them out for 2 hours while they eat stale popcorn and watered down cola.

This list...

Is enough to give my hives. I thought they couldn't get much lower after "The Dukes of Hazzard" movie last year. Guess I was wrong. I don't know which industry is headed into the tank quicker, the movie biz or rhe music biz. Sad, sad, sad...

Da Worfster

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Pretty uninspiring bunch of films when I'm most excited for a movie I've already read the novel for, and a few superhero/pirate sequels...That said, last summer there were only 2 or 3 movies I saw in theater that I actually liked. The rest I caught on DVD...a few pleasant surprises. I think I'm going to hold back again this year.

Hadn't heard Poseidon is expected to bomb...I was kind of looking forward to an action/thriller flick...I know it's totally unoriginal, derivative, and over-the-top, but the previews don't look that bad...maybe a rental...It'll be tough to top "Deep Rising" though...one of my favorite disliked films.

Looks like comedies/romantic comedies could be the big draws this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Man, seems like an underwhelming response so far considering that the amount of money budgeted into these summer movies has gone through the roof! I'm primarily curious about Superman Returns, but the buzz that I've read has been decidedly mixed. I also plan to see Pirates of the Caribbean, but I've gotten very leery of two-part sequels given how Back To The Future and The Matrix did.

Are you talking smack about my beloved Back to the Future trilogy?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Are you talking smack about my beloved Back to the Future trilogy?
    Only parts 2 & 3!

Then again, with Pirates of the Caribbean I never thought I'd like a movie based on an amusement park ride, so maybe the sequels will also be a pleasant surprise.

But, please don't get me started on the Matrix sequels ...
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

I'll see Davinci, Over the Hedge (two young kids...umm...uh...they're forcing me to see it...YEAH, THAT'S the ticket), X3, Cars (duh), and Pirates. I'm on the fence about Posiedon and Supe.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Joel Siegal, one of ABC's movie critic's(and a pretty harsh one at that) says that Posiedon was actually quite good, so I am going to check it out. Superman, X-men, Pirates, Snake on a plane are all DVD'ers. I will get a chance to see an advance screening of Cars at Pixar's screening theater a week before it opens. There is nothing else I am remotely interested in seeing, DVD or theater!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    I am wondering why anyone acts like the Summer is much different than any other time during the year when it comes to releases. First, we are plagued by remakes, sequals, etc etc all year round, but the summer just has a high concentration of fluff. Then again...I blame the idiots that go to see this garbage, not necessarily the studios..they only market crap because that's what people want to see. Don't believe me? I doubt a movie like LAWRENCE OF ARABIA would be nearly the spectacle nowaways as it was in 1962. People don't want to think, they don't want to engage, they want the movie to zone them out for 2 hours while they eat stale popcorn and watered down cola.
    I think you nailed it. I am excited about the sequels, X-3, Pirates 2, but the remakes make me crazy. The Omen interests me because the original, to me, is a classic.
    I find myself waiting for dvd more and more these days. Going to the Summer "blockbuster" movies is less of an event to me than it used to be. Face it, we got excited about the Star Wars prequels because of the legacy of the name. The movies themselves, though, were kinda crap. DON'T KILL ME FOR SAYING THAT! It's just that when you have to pick out "parts" that were awesome, that's not saying much for the film as a whole. I own and enjoy the prequels, they just don't have the magic. Lucas made 'em because he's a brilliant businessman. If you make anything with a familiar name, they will come. The same way he decided to release the original, non-cgi versions of Episodes 4-6 in the fall. The same will probably be true about Indy 4.Dont get me wrong, Indiana Jones was my hero growing up. I even forgave Temple of Doom. But face it, Ford needs a hit, Lucas needs to head back to the Indy green machine because that's all he has left. Speilberg must be doing them both a favor...
    Rambling, incoherent rant over.

Thread Information