Smile In memory of Phil Hartman.

I see some of Phil’s movies on cable every now and then, and cant help thinking as what could have been (he died in 1998). He have a subtle comical quality about him that pit in the same league as Steve Martin and Bill Murry.

Hartman's filmography includes often secondary or supporting roles in such feature films as Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Houseguest, Coneheads, Sgt. Bilko, So I Married an Axe Murderer, Jingle All the Way and Small Soldiers, the last of which would become his final silver screen appearance

So for the occasion, it may be appropriate to pick his best movie. I pick Houseguest as his funnies move, as he play the role of strait man against Sinbad's wacky character.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Classic comic genius, and relatively family friendly too. A master of both hyperbole and subtlety, Hartman could take lines that would fall flat for just about anyone else and make you cry laughing through just his expressions. IMO, the News Radio disc sets are a must have for any well-rounded collection.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I haven't seen a lot of Hartman's movies, but News Radio was always a favourite of mine for Phil's humour. I'm also a Dave Foley fan and they played off each other beautifully.

What a brilliant comedic mind and a tragic loss.

It was truly a sad day when Hartman's wackjob of a wife took his genius from the world. News Radio was one of my faves and he was also brilliant in The Simpsons. His career was just starting to bloom when struck down.

Thanks to the writer's strike, they've been showing a lot of SNL "Best Of" shows and it's amazing how many careers have been started by that show...and how many of the cast members are no longer with us.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    it's amazing how many careers have been started by that show...and how many of the cast members are no longer with us.

That is especially creepy when you think about it. I wonder if the remaining cast members ever think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox

That is especially creepy when you think about it. I wonder if the remaining cast members ever think of that.
    IMO the worst loss was when Chris Farely died. He could have been another John Candy, but drugs and span out of control weight problem got the best of him.

Thread Information