Thread: More remakes?

Question More remakes?

I just found out that TNT (Ted Frickin' Turner) intends to remake one of my fave films. Now Turner doesn't make the worst TV movies I've ever seen. I thought "Gettyburgh" was masterful. But now he's taken to remaking films. He plans to remake "Salem's Lot".

For those who might not know, Salem's Lot was done as a 4 hour mini series on CBS back in the late 70's. It was directed by George Romero of "Night of the Living Dead Fame". It was/is without a doubt the most frightening TV vampire movie ever made. It featured a vampire not seen since the original "Nosferatu", more bat/rat like than manlike. And most frightening of all, his first victims were children, who then went on to prey on other children.

Needless to say CBS heard from the public on this one. There were so many complaints the switch board fried and... so many parents complained about frightened children that they almost didn't air the last two hours of the series. I've always conisidered this mini-series a masterpiece, forget the bloated "Stand" this is the Stephen King story that rocks. How is Ted the Head gonna improve on this film?

Any thoughts?

Da Worfster

TV movies suck in general. They always feel emasculated. Wasn't the star David Soul from Starsky and Hutch fame? Yeesh.

I'd like to see it as a theatrical film. Obviously, it would be much more graphic and true to King's original perverted and twisted story.

"The Stand" is generally considered the best full length book he ever wrote. Another godawful TV movie that deserves a much better treatment. Imagine a more cerebral take on "28 Days Later". Break it into 3 instalments like the Matrix or Back to the Future flicks and you'd really have something . . .

Forum Regular
    I dont know about on the TV front, but on the motion picture coming-soon list are remakes for The Amityville Horror, Captain America (rememer the awful first attempt at this), Superman (an actual REMAKE of the original 1970's film with Chris Reeve---not a fifth part to the franchise), with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre which just left theaters being the catalyst for the idea for such remake mania----as a side note, Michael Bay, director of the Chainsaw Massacre remake, is signed on to do the Amityville Horror remake. I hope he doesn't f**k this one up as he did Chainsaw, this coming from a diehard Amityville case fan.

Thread Information