Space film Marooned

Printable View

• 02-25-2012, 07:50 PM
    Smokey
    Space film Marooned
    Has anybody seen this 1969 space film Marooned starring Gregory Peck, Richard Crenna, David Janssen, James Franciscus, and Gene Hackman.

It won an Academy Award for Visual Effects, and the story is edge of your seat type that doesn't let up untill the last moment. Unlike the space movie 2001: A Space Odyssey which came out a year before, there is virtually no music in this film to fill the void.

Richard Crenna, James Franciscus and Gene Hackman are astronats stranded in space with oxygen supply runnnig out, and it is job of Gregory Peck as mission control commander to bring them home. Peck does an excellent job as he keep a cool head amist all the chaos around him juggling between the astronats, US president, military commanders and the media.

It is interesting to note that four months later, in April 1970, the film's situation was echoed almost directly by the real-life saga of Apollo 13, whose three-man crew was almost stranded permanently in space when one of their oxygen tanks exploded on their way to the Moon.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/2/Ope...er=allrovi.com
  • 02-26-2012, 05:07 AM
    blackraven
    I remember that movie. Can's seem to remember if I liked it or not.
  • 02-27-2012, 06:33 AM
    Worf101
    I remember it well..
    I saw this film in the theatre when it first came out. It played at the aging Loewes movie theatre on Jamaica Avenue. The Loewes was one of those ancient vaudeville/movie theatres that are all but gone now. "Marooned" was a great flick that had me rivited. The screen on the Loewes was HUGE this film blew my mind. I also saw "2001" on the same screen. It was amazing and Peck was good if not great in it it. Worth renting if not buying.

Worf
  • 02-27-2012, 04:34 PM
    Smokey
    Thanks Hyfi and Worf
    As popular as the movie 2001 was and everybody seem to know about it, was surprise that Marooned had little publicity as I never heard of that movie let alone seen it. Glad ran cross it as DVD have excellent picture quality.