• 05-29-2010, 09:28 PM
    winston
    share your tribute memories of Dennis Hopper
    sad news for the fans of Dennis Hopper as he died Saturday of Prostate Cancer he will be remembered" as he portrayed some indelible Characters he was 74 yo
    Easy Rider... (Biker Billy) R.I.P Dennis
  • 05-29-2010, 11:52 PM
    Smokey
    He was a good actor. His most memorable role for me was his portray of drunk in the movie Hoosier with Gene Hackman.

http://content6.flixster.com/photo/1...842380_gal.jpg
  • 05-30-2010, 04:35 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    I loved him as Frank Booth in Blue Velvet. But he played a lot of great characters and made every one of them believable. What a fantastic actor.

RIP Dennis. :(
  • 05-30-2010, 11:44 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I dug his performance in Waterworld. It was funny as heck, and I am sure it was not meant to be.
  • 05-31-2010, 09:17 AM
    Troy
    Frank Booth in Blue Velvet was one of the top 5 bad guys in the history of film. I will always associate him with that role first.

Feck in Rivers Edge was great too, as was the photojournalist in Apocalypse Now. The was great in True Grit too.

Too bad about the crap he did that made fun of his weirdo badguy typcasting like Waterworld and Speed. He was involved with a lot of bad movies, but when he was good he was great.
  • 05-31-2010, 09:23 AM
    dean_martin
    another vote for Frank Booth in Blue Velvet. That film (mainly because of Hopper's performance) changed the way I look at movies.

his smaller role as Clarence Worley's father in True Romance is a favorite of mine too. Who could ask for more than a showdown between Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper?
  • 05-31-2010, 09:05 PM
    eisforelectronic
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_martin

his smaller role as Clarence Worley's father in True Romance is a favorite of mine too. Who could ask for more than a showdown between Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper?

My fave!
  • 05-31-2010, 10:26 PM
    Troy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_martin

How could I forget the eggplant scene!?!
  • 06-01-2010, 01:36 PM
    3LB
    the Director's Cut of Appocalyps Now really expands Hopper's role...a role that was pretty pivotal for setting up Brando's character IMO. Up until Hopper's appearence, Sheen's mechanical narration had become long-in-the-tooth.
  • 06-01-2010, 04:04 PM
    Troy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LB
    the Director's Cut of Appocalyps Now really expands Hopper's role...a role that was pretty pivotal for setting up Brando's character IMO. Up until Hopper's appearence, Sheen's mechanical narration had become long-in-the-tooth.

Understand that until Hopper appears all we know about Kurtz is what's in his military files. Sheen reading that dry way reflects that, and is in direct contrast to what Hopper tell us about Kurtz, both in content and manner in which the character says it.

Yes, Hopper's loony character gives Sheen (and us) a perspective that's very different from the army's dry dossier on Kurtz. Hopper's over the top performance gives us understanding of the Jim Jones-like magnetism Kurtz is supposed to possess. Too bad Brando blew the role, not giving us a reason to believe that anyone would follow him.
  • 06-02-2010, 07:51 AM
    Worf101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy
    Understand that until Hopper appears all we know about Kurtz is what's in his military files. Sheen reading that dry way reflects that, and is in direct contrast to what Hopper tell us about Kurtz, both in content and manner in which the character says it.

Yes, Hopper's loony character gives Sheen (and us) a perspective that's very different from the army's dry dossier on Kurtz. Hopper's over the top performance gives us understanding of the Jim Jones-like magnetism Kurtz is supposed to possess. Too bad Brando blew the role, not giving us a reason to believe that anyone would follow him.

To anything other than an all you could eat buffet.

sorry couldn't resist.

Worf