• 04-19-2005, 06:24 AM
    Worf101
    Second Poll Best Male Actor Working Today.
    Alright my pretties, which guy is currently "bringin' it" out there. Who would you personally pay money to see irregardless of the movies rating? Who's work do you most admire?

Da Worfster :confused:
  • 04-19-2005, 06:51 AM
    kexodusc
    I gots to go with Mr. Denzel Washington...this guy rarely puts out a complete bomb, and tends to make movies better than they'd otherwise be. Not to mention he's got great range as an actor. IMO, a very underrated actor.
    Tom Hanks is good, but he's had a few duds, and let's face it, he gets first crack at all the great movies.

Brad Pitt might be up there on my list with Denzel Washington, but he is notoriously absent from the poll.

Some good guys up there, who've been in great movies, and while Denzel may not have as huge a resume as the others, he gets my vote for Hollywood's "Iron Man"...always a pleasure to watch.

A good actor also knows when to turn down a role...
  • 04-19-2005, 08:31 AM
    Defshep
    I was really stuck between Depp & Denzel! Washington has picked some great, intense films that were even better with him involved in the project. An actor with a certain earnestness about him. Had to go with Johnny, though. He's made some fine movies to be sure. But any actor that can make you sit through the marginal to downright bad films, and still be stunned by just how incredible a performer he is, that's greatness.
  • 04-19-2005, 10:16 AM
    Glen B
    On your list I would pick Denzel Washington. Not on your list but should be are Morgan Freeman and Samuel L. Jackson. Also, I would pick Freeman ahead of Washington and any of the above named three ahead of either of the runners up on the list.
  • 04-19-2005, 11:16 AM
    paul_pci
    Worf, why do you make these polls so tough? I had to go with Johnny Depp, because he's so convincing is radically different roles. The range is astounding, but as others have indicated, some names are missing that would have made the poll even tougher, like Mr. Freeman and Mr. Tim Robbins. Sean Penn of course comes to mind as one who is on par with Depp.
  • 04-19-2005, 11:29 AM
    risabet
    Brad Pitt???
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I gots to go with Mr. Denzel Washington...this guy rarely puts out a complete bomb, and tends to make movies better than they'd otherwise be. Not to mention he's got great range as an actor. IMO, a very underrated actor.
    Tom Hanks is good, but he's had a few duds, and let's face it, he gets first crack at all the great movies.

Brad Pitt might be up there on my list with Denzel Washington, but he is notoriously absent from the poll.

Some good guys up there, who've been in great movies, and while Denzel may not have as huge a resume as the others, he gets my vote for Hollywood's "Iron Man"...always a pleasure to watch.

A good actor also knows when to turn down a role...

Did you see Troy or Fight Club, IMO two of the worst movies made recently, though he was pretty good in Ocean's 11/12.
  • 04-19-2005, 12:28 PM
    paul_pci
    Quote:

Originally Posted by risabet
    Did you see Troy or Fight Club, IMO two of the worst movies made recently, though he was pretty good in Ocean's 11/12.

He was also very good in Kalifornia, I thought.
  • 04-19-2005, 03:00 PM
    kexodusc
    Troy was so-so...Fight Club was spectacular, and Pitt did an amazing job in Joe Black too...a role I would have expected Hugh Grant in or something...Besides, he's pretty :)
  • 04-19-2005, 04:27 PM
    RGA
    Well I will take different view here -- sometimes the leads are leads due to looks and star power than ability. I agree with some of the selections most notably Morgan Freeman and Washington.

Kevin Spacey (L.A. Confidential, American Beauty, Seven, The Usual Suspects)

Ralph Fiennes (Schindler's List, English Patient, Strange Days, Oscar and Lucinda, Quiz Show, Spider, Red Dragon, Sunshine)

Ben Kingsley (Schindler's list, Gandhi, Sexy Beast, Dave, House of Sand and Fog).

I think Jamie Fox based off Ray and Collateral will soon be added.
  • 04-19-2005, 05:44 PM
    Smokey
    With an authoritive voice and posture, my vote go to Steven Segal :D
  • 04-19-2005, 05:45 PM
    dean_martin
    From this list I'll pick Depp. Heck, I've been a fan since 21 Jump Street. I also like his work with Tim Burton, particularly his role as Ed Wood. As long as everyone else is throwing in his .02 on actors not on the list, I'll add Edward Norton and Brad Pitt - Norton's performance in Fight Club was excellent, but he showed his range with another entertaining performance in Death to Smoochie. Pitt played the perfect Stoner in his bit role in True Romance. His psycho role in 12 Monkeys was great.

Aside from all these stars, I've been thinking of some favorite character actors lately and the one that I truly enjoy watching is Harry Dean Stanton. Check out his credits:

Paris, TX
    Repo Man
    Escape from New York
    Alien
    Wild at Heart
    Twin Peaks - Fire Walk with Me

I'm sure there's lots more. I saw a guy in a plaid shirt driving an old vw bug on the interstate with his windows down the other day. Everyone was flying by him and he had this serious, determined look on his face as he drove with both hands on the wheel. I swear I saw Stanton do the same thing in a movie.
  • 04-19-2005, 05:48 PM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paul_pci
    He was also very good in Kalifornia, I thought.

Yeah, living here in the sticks, I've seen that character many times. Pitt nailed it.
  • 04-19-2005, 06:22 PM
    Mike That Likes Music
    One more for my money
    From the list, yeah probably Johnny Depp. Hell of an acting range. Another one from the "current crop" not on the list is Benicio Del Toro. Del Toro is another guy with amazing range, and deserves to be on the list if for no other movie role than mumbling, fidgety Fenster in The Usual Suspects. Sadly, Marlon Brando passed away last summer, 'cause he'd be an easy instant #1 on my list.
    Oh, and I finally saw "The Missouri Breaks" the other night. Oddly intriguing film. Stars Marlon Brando, Jack Nicholson, Harry Dean Stanton, Randy Quaid (yes, you read that right), and a host of others. Definitely worth checking out. Brando plays the eccentric gunfighter to the hilt.
    Mike
  • 04-19-2005, 07:46 PM
    eisforelectronic
    I voted for Depp, however my personal favorite for quite a few years has been Gary Oldman. Gary Oldman has a real way of becoming the role. When any of our nominees are in a movie there is no mistaking who is playing that role. Oldman just blends in, which actually could be the greatest compliment you could pay an actor.
  • 04-20-2005, 05:24 AM
    shokhead
    Morgan Freedman
  • 04-20-2005, 07:16 AM
    Worf101
    Sorry guys....
    I always think of names AFTER the fact when I'm making one of these polls. I didn't put Morgan Freeman on because.... well I forgot, but also, how many times has he "starred" in a film? No offense to that fine actor, but H'wood has relegated him to the role of "earnest black, supporting actor". Look at it. Shawshank, Glory, etc... always the sidekick. I WISH they'd give him for lead roles, believe me. As for Mr. Pitt... LOL, you got's to be kiddin'!!!!! Pretty boy? Depp maybe pretty but his movies have MOVED me, and his range!!! He's never ever played the same character twice, unlike Mr. Hanks. I amazed that so far no one vote for Mr. Double Oscar Hanks. Interesting....

Da Worfster :cool:
  • 04-20-2005, 07:21 AM
    Worf101
    Oh boys....
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey
    With an authoritive voice and posture, my vote go to Steven Segal :D

Can someone make that call to Bellvue we were talking about???!!!! Somehow I knew... KNEW that if I put that piece of bait out there... Smoke would jump on it. LOL... Thanks man I needed a laugh today.

Da Worfster :D
  • 04-20-2005, 08:02 AM
    20to20K
    Hey Norrr-ton!
    Ed Norton is one of my personal favs. From Primal Fear, American History X, 25th Hour,
    The Italian Job, and The Score, Red Dragon, and yes...he too was in the awesome
    Fight Club.

Sean Penn is another one of my fav's along with Morgan Freeman, Don Cheadle, and yes he's still the master even though he's doing crap now...Robert Deniro.
  • 04-20-2005, 08:54 AM
    shokhead
    Steven Segal? Not even in the same class,B Movies. Don Cheadle,how many movies has he starred in or even been in?
  • 04-20-2005, 09:43 AM
    20to20K
    Uh......
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shokhead
    Don Cheadle,how many movies has he starred in or even been in?

Ocean's Twelve (2004) ....
    After the Sunset (2004)
    Hotel Rwanda (2004)
    Ocean's Eleven (2001)
    Rush Hour 2 (2001)
    Swordfish (2001)
    Manic (2001) ....
    Traffic (2000) ....
    The Family Man (2000)
    Mission to Mars (2000) ....
    Out of Sight (1998)
    Bulworth (1998)
    Boogie Nights (1997)
    Rosewood (1997)
    Devil in a Blue Dress (1995)
    Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead (1995)

Admittedly...not as many as Morgan "Freedman", but not too bad either...
  • 04-20-2005, 10:50 AM
    Worf101
    Unhhhh
    Quote:

Steven Segal? Not even in the same class,B Movies. Don Cheadle,how many movies has he starred in or even been in?

I put in one entry for fun, humor and s***'s and giggles. You're NOT supposed to take him seriously. Just like in the last poll. "Hot Shots Part Deux" was a joke entry. Believe me it was one funny movie but... it was fun.

• 04-20-2005, 01:28 PM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    I voted for Depp, however my personal favorite for quite a few years has been Gary Oldman. Gary Oldman has a real way of becoming the role. When any of our nominees are in a movie there is no mistaking who is playing that role. Oldman just blends in, which actually could be the greatest compliment you could pay an actor.

Oldman! Sid Vicious, bad cop in The Professional, megalomaniac with weird hairdo and voice in Fifth Element; and, from the "who-the-hell-is-that" file, the pimp in True Romance. Excellent performances.

"Is this white boy day?"
  • 04-20-2005, 02:37 PM
    shokhead
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    I put in one entry for fun, humor and s***'s and giggles. You're NOT supposed to take him seriously. Just like in the last poll. "Hot Shots Part Deux" was a joke entry. Believe me it was one funny movie but... it was fun.

OH! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    He was better with his pony tail.
  • 04-20-2005, 05:12 PM
    RGA
    Every actor in the cast of I, Claudius
  • 04-20-2005, 06:13 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

He was better with his pony tail.

Steven Segal only got Jackie Chan to blame. Jackie with his "physical" action movies did put stars like him, Claude Van Dam or Jet Li out of [martial art movie] business.