• 02-23-2008, 09:14 PM
    Smokey
    Rock Hudson acting career.
    Was watching his ‘73 western movie Showdown with Dean Martin, and Hudson performance is truly astonishing. His facial expressions thru out the movie, especially in the last scene when his buddy Martin get shot shows an awesome talent.

Although his acting career started in the 1950s, IMO in the later years his acting is more refined starting with movies Second and Ice Station Zebra. The '70s TV series Macmillan and Wife probably found Hudson in his pinnacle performance. Think I start checking out that TV show :)

http://www.libertyfilmfestival.com/l.../images175.jpg
  • 02-24-2008, 06:57 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    I used to watch MacMillan and Wife religiously on Friday nights when I was growing up. Wasn't his wife played by Jill St. John?
  • 02-24-2008, 05:54 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I used to watch MacMillan and Wife religiously on Friday nights when I was growing up. Wasn't his wife played by Jill St. John?

Wikipedia list his wife played by Susan Saint James.

Also remember watching Mc and wife a part of NBC mystery movies weekly rotation with Columbo and McCloud. Latter two were my favorites as I usually skipped over Mcmillan and Wife. But now think I have a second look at that show.
  • 02-24-2008, 07:27 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Dammit! It was a toss-up between J St J, and S St J. Jill St. John played Robert Wagner's wife in some other TV show I think.

Yup I remember that series Smokey. Columbo was my favorite. Those were the good 'ole days when the Nielson ratings actually meant something. You could count on quality TV programming, but I guess those day are gone forever.

I just had a Melvin moment I think.
  • 03-05-2008, 02:34 PM
    kelsci
    Hi Smokey; I think very much of Rock Hudson as an actor He certainly did much of his fine work in his latter years. If you want to see a fun film, see the film BLINDFOLD. I think his best work was a sleeper called HORNETS NEST. I heard something to the effect that he himself thought it was his best film. Also nifty was PRETTY MAIDS ALL IN A ROW.
  • 03-05-2008, 06:55 PM
    Smokey
    Hi Kelsci, need to drop by more often.

Thanks for movie suggestions. He is very under rated actor and if hadn’t died in his prime, we probably would have seen couple of more film gems from him. I have seen PRETTY MAIDS ALL IN A ROW long time go (remember the breast grab), but not seen BLINDFOLD or HORNETS NEST.

His movie The Showdown which I discussed earlier is also a good one if you get a chance to see it (that is if they ever release it on DVD). It was on my Cable’s VOD channel in February, but Comcast took it off in March :incazzato:
  • 04-02-2008, 09:59 PM
    3-LockBox
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Yep, he was a good actor.

Sure had a lot of us fooled.

My mom had the uncanny ability to find on TV whatever movies he and Doris Day made together, at any given time, and she watched McMillan And Wife religiously. He never played the over-the-top macho guy and looking back, he had a great voice.

And I believe it was Stephanie Powers that played Robert Wagner's wife on TV...Jill Saint John plays Mrs Robert Wagner in real life (since '90).
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>