Recent Viewings Blu Ray

Printable View

• 01-12-2011, 05:56 PM
    recoveryone
    Recent Viewings Blu Ray
    Green Zone: Interesting plot and from the books that have been written by high ranking officials could be viewed as a true story. As for the Blu Ray itself, I would say inconsistent. In many of the scenes you go from the gritty grain (as if looking through night vision goggles) to razor sharp image all in the same location. Aerial shots where over the top jerky and fast ( did not see what effect the director was going for???) Glad I did not pay the $24 in the stores, picked mine up off Amazon $13

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,314_.jpg

Peacemaker: I have this on VHS and found it on Blu Ray on Amazon for $10.00 new The story line is still relevant today as it was in 1997 when this was first released. The Blu Ray transfer is out (hold on) OUT STANDING the colors are rich and deep audio is top notch (DTS-HD MASTER) In the opening scenes you hear the echo of the Generals boots walking in the train depot and the echo effect when he shoots the other officer in the tunnel. Not a lot of LEF (but I did not have my up at my normal listening level) but the depth of the other channels was :eek6: spot on.

Patriot Games: In one word I can only come up with this WARM, nothing jumped out or looked bad but just down the middle. Another old favorite of mine or should I say I like the whole series of movies. Sound track is good, especially during the foot chase into the subway very spacious

Clear and Present Danger: A much more detail picture than Patriot Games, Colors are rich and deep The sound track is good on both (DD True HD)

I will be adding to this list by the end of the week as I also picked up, Hunt for Red October and Toy Story 3. Al were under $15 on Amazon.
  • 01-12-2011, 07:55 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I finally saw Iron Man 2, I didn't think it was as bad as every one told me, no matter how bad one thinks the movie is the sound track is dynamite. I watched it with the family but later had to watch by myself so I could bump the volume up. Some of the LFE quakes the room. I also received Inception as a gift. My viewing is lagging. Part of the reason was the number of $5.00 BD I picked up on Black Friday.
  • 01-13-2011, 09:39 PM
    recoveryone
    Hunt For Red October: The First of the Tom Clancy series and I have always been a fan of this movie. I never brought it on VHS and shy away from the DVD release due to poor reviews of the transfer. This Blu Ray release is average over all on PQ the opening scenes struggle, but once you get inside of the sub the PQ is much better. The scene in the shipyard (sub dry dock) is very sharp looking and detailed (reminded me of my own days in the Marine Corps stationed at a sub base providing security in the dry docks). The sound is great (DD trueHD) and makes for an enjoyable viewing, But I feel that this blu ray is at the level that the DVD should have been. one quick side note, I notice that for blu ray movies my BDP loaded them (older titles) very fast compared to newer releases.
    http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,317_.jpg
  • 01-14-2011, 07:43 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Have you ever seen U-571? That was a great DVD soundtrack, can you imagine that bass on Blu-ray?
  • 01-14-2011, 07:47 PM
    recoveryone
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Have you ever seen U-571? That was a great DVD soundtrack, can you imagine that bass on Blu-ray?

YES! always will be a reference level DVD
  • 01-14-2011, 07:50 PM
    Smokey
    Mmmm..., non of your images are showing up in your post recoveryone. It just show up as an "X".

Thanks for reviews, especially about picture and sound quality. I rented Hunt For Red October DVD while back and really did not like that movie too much. It was way over the top.
  • 01-14-2011, 07:52 PM
    recoveryone
    that just happen when I made that last post, I noticed it too.
  • 01-14-2011, 08:37 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by recoveryone
    that just happen when I made that last post, I noticed it too.

It is not too late. You still have Toy Story 3 review and photo to do.
  • 01-15-2011, 01:15 PM
    recoveryone
    lol, I like your attitude

Pixar/Disney knocked it out the park again and can add another one to it list of classic animation films. On this third go around of the Woody and Buzz Light Year
    you would think we all grow tired of these simple dimension characters, but we are not. It just goes to show how good hearted values are timeless and Good will triumph over Evil in the end. Now onto the Blu Ray itself, I am not a big animation fan, because I feel animation can give a false sense of detail and clarity due to heavy saturated colors. So as far as PQ its there in all the Blu Ray glory you can muster, 1080p I say is a must to see a real difference from the DVD version. Sound is what makes you what to sit down and watch as it brings you into the story.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,317_.jpg

Was out at Costco this morning and picked up Princess Bride (blu ray) for $9.00 one of my kids all time favorite even the 19yr smiled as I showed it to her, anybody up for a battle of wits lol, They had the Social Network for $18.00, (blu ray) but did not have any in stock, so I took the DVD version (I had plan on getting the DVD anyway) $12.00.
  • 01-17-2011, 11:20 AM
    recoveryone
    The Social Network: Have you ever watched a movie and hated a character so much that you wish you could meet them on the street, just to kick them in the nuts! I had seen the 60 minute interview with the real Mark Zuckerberg before I saw this movie and there is a 180 degree difference, It may be due to all the lawsuits that he went through to pay off the people that he screwed over. But in the movie this Character gives off the vibe that he is the second coming of Christ.

As stated above this was only the DVD version and I would not recommend buying the Blu ray unless it is price under $20 there is nothing in this film that warrant a purchased above $20. Most of the film is shot in doors in dim lighted rooms and night clubs. Not to kill the story line, but this is a classic socially awkward boy gets dumped by girl and he spends every waking moment finding a way to win her back.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...V1._SY317_.jpg
  • 01-18-2011, 05:37 AM
    Worf101
    Choke... SPEW!!!!
    Have you ever watched a movie and hated a character so much that you wish you could meet them on the street, just to kick them in the nuts!

That sir is the THIRD cup of coffee you owe me!!!!! That's about the funniest thing I've read on here in months. BRAVO!!!!! I'm dyin' here!!!
    That comment is so good it's almost, dare I say it? Worftacular!!!!!

Thanks for the laff.

Worf