Recent Rentals and Viewings...

Hey folks it's been awhile, back from the bowels of heck (college visits) and into the bright sunshine of film.

The Black Swan - C Plus - I don't quite have my mind made up on this one yet. Friends who were in that world say that the film is spot on. It's a nasty, filthy, cut-throat business, but I'm not sure it made for a compelling film. It had it's moments.

Planet Hulk - B - This is superior animation and a superor tale. The Hulk is what he's always been more monster than hero. So dangerous that his "friends" banished him into space to a planet where he wouldn't hurt other human beings. However something goes awry and he winds up on a planet ruled by a fanatical despot that puts greenie into the arena. Think "Gladiator" with a happier ending and you'll get this one. I enjoyed it immensely.

Salt - C Plus - I rented this film primarily because a good bunch of it was filmed, down the hill from where I work in Albany, New York. In the highway over-pass secene there are several instances where I can see my building go whizzing by, and when they finally leave the highway she drives right by where I used to park my car. Small world. Actually this is a better than average super-spy flick and I enjoyed it's non-happy ending a lot. You could do worse.

Splice - B Minus - Adrien Brody's at it again in this Sci-Fi thriller about a genetic experiment gone-awry. This Frankenstienian tale is well acted, plausible and oddly sexy. Delphine Chanieac as the "monster" is amazing she's other worldly, childlike and sexy all at the same time. This movie will have you cringing, squrming and shrieking all at the same time and for a monster movie, what more can you ask for?

Hachi A Dog's Tale - C-Minus - Pheh, alright I supposed. Based on a true story but, in the end, strangely uncompelling. Man loves dog, man dies, dog waits... Yawn.

Battle Royale - B - This movie is a 10 year old tale from Japan about a dystopic future wherin Japanese society is so scared, fed-up and pissed with it's youth that every year they take a one High School class, put them on an island, arm them to the the teeth and then force them to kill each other. If you can wrap your mind around that basic concept then you'll enjoy the ride. A true cult classic that spawned at least one crappy sequel, this movie will grab you, shake you and stir you.

Grandma's Boy - D - Yawn another delayed adolescent fantasy full of sex, drugs, funny older women and nerds. Sigh folks either love or hate this movie. I tolerated very little of it.

Despicable Me - A - That's right I'm giving this film an "A" mebbe the first one I've ever given a film here that's not already a classic. As good as last years "Up" if not better. Bright, funny, heartwarming, sweet, and cute without being cloying or stupid. Almost enough to make me question my "man-card". I loved this film so much, I went out and bought it so I could see the extra's. Rent it you won't regret it!!

The Girl That Played With Fire - C - While I enjoyed the first film of this trilogy "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", I was really, really, REALLY disappointed with this sequel. Lost, meandering, and downright boring in spots I was ready to turn it off several times. I'll see the third installment but just to see how it ends.

Fish Tank - B Plus - This Britsh film focuses on a family of a mother and 2 daughters living in the "Council Estates" (what we called Public Housing Projects) in England and what happens when the mother gets a new boyfriend. At first we're hopefull that things will turn out "okay" for em all but this ain't no Hollywood movie. Tough, gritty, raw and dis-heartening a human train-wreck you just can't stop watching.

The Town - B-Plus - I must admit it, this film surprised the hell out of me. This film, starring AND DIRECTED by Ben Affleck is nothing short of a revelation. Quick, smart, well acted and held together by a crackling good script, this is the first film the ole lady has stayed awakef for in a long long time. In a world over-flowing with "crime drama's" this is the first to feel "right" in a long, long time. Far superior to me than Scorsese's "The Departed", in fact this one blows that one all to hell. Rent it, you'll be riveted.

Worf

You're my hero, Worfster, for all the viewing you get in.

Of these I've only seen Black Swan and The Town. Like you, I was a little underwhelmed by Black Swan; I felt it was rather one dimensional but still gave it 3.5/5 (say B-). The Town was better for what it was, but dang! another crime flick, so I gave it too 3.5/5.

Suspended
    Glad you liked Splice, it was the first Blu I watched on my OPPO93 and the pic was amazing. Your assessment is way better than mine was.

I was underwhelmed with Salt when Sir T raved about it, I thought Night and Day was much more fun. I'm not a big fan of AJ anyway.

Black Swan was one dark movie. I'm glad I watched it but still not too sure what was going on. I like Mila tho and she did a great job.

I have yet to see the rest on your list but recently watched Cats & Dogs-Kittie Galore which had a roll on the floor scene with Mr Tinkles as Hanibal Lector. When the pidgeon gets close to him, as he is strapped to the table with the leather mask on, he says "The last time a bird got this close, I ate it with some Fancy Feast and a nice Bowl of Milk" lots of other funny parody of humans in it also.

The new Tron Legacy was also much better than I expected and kept my attention thru the whole 2 hours.

Forum Regular
    thanks worf, but why a B- for Splice?
    Have you seen "Sucker Punch" yet; A reviewer, who happens to be a client, told me to wait for the DVD and save my money; calling it a "Glorious mess". Of course I didn't listen and checked it out at my local theater, I won't go into a long drawn out review but I'd love to read what others think

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    The Town - B-Plus - I must admit it, this film surprised the hell out of me. This film, starring AND DIRECTED by Ben Affleck is nothing short of a revelation. Quick, smart, well acted and held together by a crackling good script
    I think Affleck gets a bum rap. Is he really that worse than any of his peers? Certainly, he hasn't shown very good decision making with regards to movie choices. He didn't seem comfortable in the Hollywood glam leading man type roles. Dude knows a good script when he sees one though, and when he plays it close to the vest, within his element, he usually nails it. I'll be lookin for this'in.

Thanx again Worf.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Hey AV

Quote Originally Posted by AVMASTER
    thanks worf, but why a B- for Splice?
    Have you seen "Sucker Punch" yet; A reviewer, who happens to be a client, told me to wait for the DVD and save my money; calling it a "Glorious mess". Of course I didn't listen and checked it out at my local theater, I won't go into a long drawn out review but I'd love to read what others think
    A B-minus for a movie is not a bad rating for me. That means it's well above average and a winner that deserves recommendation. I've rated maybe 1 to 3 films "A"'s in my years here. A few more "B's but not a lot of those either. For "Splice" to get a B of any kind from me means it was pretty damn good but not up there with say "Star Wars" or "CE3K" or "The Thing From Another World" which are all "A"'s in my book. "Splice" is good, real good just not world class like say "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and alike.

Worf

Thread Information