Suspended

Is it my imagination?

I really don't rent that many movies over a month and much of it depends on if there's anything out that really gets me into the store and given due to most of my movie viewing is with the family R movies are a minority but I think I've noticed that many of the recent movies I have watched don't seem to have as much rear channel material as those I've seen a few years back.

Anyone else notice this or agree now that I bring it up? If so, do you think it's the type of movie I've been getting or are the movie makers getting lazy on sound effect thrills?

Hmmmm

I hadn't noticed that trend but you gotta think that the whole "DD Surround" thing, like it's predecssor "Sensurround" is still in all a bit of a "gimmick". After you've heard umpteen noises behind you in umpteen flicks, what more can you accomplish with programming the sound back there. I think it was a big thing a while ago to have ambient sounds directed to the rear speakers but face it, most of the action takes place in-front of you and that's where 90% or more of the sound is going to emanate from L.C.R.

Da Worfster

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

We are using the rears more wisely these days...

When I did my first 5.1 soundtrack the director and producer wanted me to put alot of effects into the surrounds that were pretty loud and over the top. Their reasons was you have these split surrounds now we should use them. Nowadays subtlies are the norm. The rears are used alot more, but just in a more subtle way.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

eqm
    just pop in "Master and Commander"....in case you're in need of some "rear action".

If you read your post real quick like...

Quote Originally Posted by eqm
    just pop in "Master and Commander"....in case you're in need of some "rear action".
    it's enough to get you banned on this site!!!! If you read it real slow you're in real trouble too...

Da Worfster

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I really don't rent that many movies over a month and much of it depends on if there's anything out that really gets me into the store and given due to most of my movie viewing is with the family R movies are a minority but I think I've noticed that many of the recent movies I have watched don't seem to have as much rear channel material as those I've seen a few years back.

Anyone else notice this or agree now that I bring it up? If so, do you think it's the type of movie I've been getting or are the movie makers getting lazy on sound effect thrills?
    I had noticed that too actually. I just thought that the movies that we were renting just didn't have a lot of background noise (that could still be the case). We're not really into the big action flicks that have lots of sound effects. We rent more subtle films that just tell a good story or an interesting character study. So, if the rear speakers don't have much sound...it's not really missed.

We recently rented The Terminal. While I didn't think very much of the film, there were some neat effects with the airport loudspeakers coming out the rear.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    it's enough to get you banned on this site!!!! If you read it real slow you're in real trouble too...

Da Worfster
    Now, that's funny!
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Talking Well we do try....

Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    Now, that's funny!
    We don't take our movies THAT seriously..... LOL...

Thanks for the love...

Da Worfster

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Here's something for you to try, FA

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I had noticed that too actually. I just thought that the movies that we were renting just didn't have a lot of background noise (that could still be the case). We're not really into the big action flicks that have lots of sound effects. We rent more subtle films that just tell a good story or an interesting character study. So, if the rear speakers don't have much sound...it's not really missed.
    I dunno, FA, we did fine for years without surround sound, but put in your favorite drama/romantic comedy etc, where there's little action footage or special effects and mostly dialogue or whatever....then use your receiver to disable the rear speakers (or just disconnect them)...you might be surprised at how much the subtle ambient cues add to the experience.

I might be fussy, but when I was in the process of building my home theater speakers I was forced to go back to the old days of using 2-speakers for awhile while I tried finding the time to build the rest...losing the center sucked! Took care of that first. Not having a sub was kinda crappy on some movies soundtracks, but really aweful on action flicks - especially after I just got the new widescreen HDTV, but because of supplier issues I had to build that last. Then I absolutely hated the "empty sound" I got from only having 3 front speakers...I really missed the surrounds - and my fiancee agreed that the surround ambiance is sorely missed once you lose it.

Uggh...I'm in the process of refinishing the 6th and 7th speakers and I hate being down to 5.1. Kinda like power locks in your car...I swore I didn't care and would never pay for them, but now I don't know how I ever got by without....

eqm
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101

Da Worfster
    I just simply and plainly can't believe I'll get banned for bringing a little "smart-@$$" joy to the wonderful world of favorite films!

Thanks to all for having a sense of humor!

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I dunno, FA, we did fine for years without surround sound, but put in your favorite drama/romantic comedy etc, where there's little action footage or special effects and mostly dialogue or whatever....then use your receiver to disable the rear speakers (or just disconnect them)...you might be surprised at how much the subtle ambient cues add to the experience.
    Hey kex. I'm not saying that I don't enjoy the rear speakers, just the opposite in fact. I was agreeing with the original post that it doesn't seem like the rear speakers are utilized as much as they could be. But I see your point too. Maybe the rears are subtle, but just enough to set the mood. Being used as they should be in other words.

In fact, I've even taken to watching regular TV through our surround system. I don't get true surround sound, but the sound quality is just so much better than the TV speakers.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Hey kex. I'm not saying that I don't enjoy the rear speakers, just the opposite in fact. I was agreeing with the original post that it doesn't seem like the rear speakers are utilized as much as they could be. But I see your point too. Maybe the rears are subtle, but just enough to set the mood. Being used as they should be in other words.

In fact, I've even taken to watching regular TV through our surround system. I don't get true surround sound, but the sound quality is just so much better than the TV speakers.
    Ditto on that...I don't even have the tv speakers connected on my setup. I haven't really noticed a decrease in the surround effects, but then again, I haven't been focusing on that really.
    I tend to only watch movies with ninjas and lasers...maybe the odd sword fight or machine gun...Lots of surround effects goin' on there.

eqm
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I tend to only watch movies with ninjas and lasers...maybe the odd sword fight or machine gun...Lots of surround effects goin' on there.
    My wife says that's all I watch too...Must be the appreciation for Trogdor the Burninator.

BTW...anybody else watch "The Lance Krall Show"? They did a pretty funny skit with a ninja taking out a golfing foursome.

That and the Japanese samurai battle where the two guys had to stop their onward advance to drop deuces.

We aim to please....

Quote Originally Posted by eqm
    I just simply and plainly can't believe I'll get banned for bringing a little "smart-@$$" joy to the wonderful world of favorite films!

Thanks to all for having a sense of humor!
    You aim too please. I love humor particularly when it's shows skill and wit...

Da Worfster

Suspended
    C'mon! if I can't have some rear effect excitement what's the sense in having 5, 6 or 7.1?

I have a friend who watches movies in 2 channel and says it sounds just as good. Are you telling me he is right? Please give all of us who made the consumer electronics companies rich some justification here.

5.1 has the potential of 360 degree or diagnol sound effects, someone dazzle us.

Thread Information