Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kam

the problem with picking a movie to watch....

so you're in that movie watching mode, you definitely want to sit down, maybe have a snack or three, sink into the couch and lose yourself in a good flick... so you walk over to the dvd collection and begin to peruse over the selection... you look over title after title after title.... after title after title... then its about 15 minutes later (or maybe 16 minutes, or 23 minutes) and you're still staring at box covers... you know you want to watch something, and heck, if ANY of these movies were on cable right now, you'd watch it, but for some reason you can't pick up the movie and actively start it yourself... and no choice seems to be what you're in the mood for because you're in the mood for all choices.... you pick one up, look it over... even turn towards the dvd player when... nope, its not JUST right... so you put it back on the shelf and continue to look over the collection. There may even be movies you havent seen yet, i know i have quite a few dvd's i've never seen from classics to new releases, but its just not quite the right time to start it up... although again, if you turned the tv on and that exact same movie was starting, you'd be perfectly happy sitting down and watching it. so... that's where i'm at, now i'm gonna put Memento in, i havent seen that in a while and i'd like to check it out again knowing that this guy will go on to do batman begins.... no, maybe i'll put Lawrence in, i havent seen that in a while... nah... too long... i know! reservoir dogs! i just saw City on Fire, the movie that inspired it, so would be a good comparison... but eh... not really in the tarantino mood... so i'll stick with the anniversary edition of Edwarrd Scissorhands... well, not really in a tim burton mood either... i know! Hero! beautiful movie, but... of course that's the ONE movie i let a friend borrow... ok Dog Soldiers, that's a great guilty pleasure... but eh... maybe true romance... give myself hope that tony scott wont screw up the Warrior's remake... but eh, still not in the tarantino mood... see what i mean!??!?
    anyone else have this problem?
    /create

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    That's the very reason so many of my DVD's go unwatched, it's just never the right time.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    anyone else have this problem?
    Dude,

I've put movies on, watched the first 5 minutes or up into an hour, then pop it out and throw something else on. I just did this a couple of days ago with Serenity. I started the first hour, then ended up watching the last hour and a half of FOTR which I had started about a week before. And yes, I stand in front of my collection and do that all the time.

Way too funny. I do this all the time. I have a dozen or so DVD's still in the plastic. What's up with that? I've seen most of my collection on cable at one point or another. I could be flipping channels and see a movie I like that's half over. Do you think I'd throw in the DVD and see the whole movie? Nope, just watch the second half instead.

What is wrong with us? Is there a special phobia for this? Is there a support group? How about a rehab?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I have a dozen or so DVD's still in the plastic.
    Funny you mentioned that. I had to count just to see how crazy I am. I have 38 DVD's still in plastic. I would have more than that, but I opened a few just for the heck of it.

I have about 20 DVD's sitting around of movies I never seen before, but I'll pass those up and throw on one I've seen plenty of times.

I NEED HELP

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    That's when I put on a good CD and read a book. Unless, of course, I can't decide on a CD.

Unhappy Unhhhhh this thread is REAL scary....

Uhm I don't like to point out the obvious but the response to this thread have me scared, really scared for the following reasons...

1. All you folks are displaying a similar range of symptoms...

2. Some of you have spent money on movies you don't open let alone watch...

3. You claim to LOVE film to the point of "owning" your faves but you can't pull the trigger to watch said movie...

4. It's easier for you to watch a movie if HBO, Showtime or TCM makes the choice for you than it is for you to make a choice yourself...

Man if this isn't evidence of a raging epidemic I don't know what is. Should I call the Center for Disease Control?

What do we call this new disease? "Dithering Digitas",, "Filmus Interuptus", "Da Widescreen Wobblies", "Film Hording Disease"? Sheesh, that's wild that all you guys... hey, I never noticed all those shrinkwrapped movies on the shelf... and I haven't watched a film I purchased in months.... ARRRGH ...... I'm infected!!!

Da Woe is me Worfster

OH NO! It's spreading.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Ok, now I see that this disease is more universal than I originally thought. I thought I had remedied this problem by getting a nice Pioneer Elite 5-disc changer. But which 5 do I load? Maybe 5 different genres like crooks and hoods, anime, comedy, something trippy and a drama like that Cinema Paradiso dvd I haven't watched yet. Or maybe I'll pick out 5 that have something in common, start one and if I'm not drawn in, skip to the next and so forth.

Then, if I ever get 5 loaded, I have to check the score of the game first or run through the Dish guide to make sure I'm not missing anything. (Any other time I would know that nothing's on.) A quick check on the score and trip through the guide turns into an hour or so then it's too late to start up a movie.

Is it fear of commitment?
    Maybe we don't know what we really want in life.
    Maybe I'm kidding myself by thinking that if I watch this movie then I'm giving up my freedom to channel surf, surf the web or listen to music.
    Maybe it's my mile-long lazy streak that keeps me from getting off the couch.

I do find similarities between this disease and the one where my wife and I are out shopping or something, it's meal time and we're both hungry, but neither one of us knows where we want to eat. When we finally do stop somewhere, we always wish we had gone some place else.

OH NO! It's spreading.
    Well I, dear Sir do NOT have a problem. I can stop at any time. I'M in complete control.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Well I, dear Sir do NOT have a problem. I can stop at any time. I'M in complete control.
    Yeah, uh huh. Me too.

Yeah, uh huh. Me too.
    In fact, just the other day the movie, The Day After Tomorrow was on. I didn't like how it sounded so I pulled out the DVD and popped it in. Much better sound.

See? I'm getting better.

mawahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...........

Yeah, uh huh. Me too.
    Why shouldn't I have my collection, it's MINE. It's all MINE. I will do what I like with it. It's MINE to look at, it's MINE to watch what I want..................it's my PRECIOUS!!!!

Why shouldn't I have my collection, it's MINE. It's all MINE. I will do what I like with it. It's MINE to look at, it's MINE to watch what I want..................it's my PRECIOUS!!!!
    Yes sir, it is yours. You should do whatever you like with it. Ooh look. There's a butterfly. Would you like to chase it? Go ahead if you like. It's OK.

Kam
    btw, i ended up watching the behind the scenes featurette to House of Flying Daggers.

and to clarify the disease, it doesn't happen ALL the time, but is extremely similar to writers block, when you have this insane desire to just watch something, but cant pick anything. i think the worst case (which i thankfully have not reached) is putting something you own on your netflix queue. if you ever reach that stage, throw in the towel.
    /create

In fact, just the other day the movie, The Day After Tomorrow was on. I didn't like how it sounded so I pulled out the DVD and popped it in. Much better sound.
    My wife's family was visiting from AZ about a year ago and we were all sitting around flipping through channels. We landed on Finding Nemo. It was starting at the beginning so I was like why don't I put the DVD on instead. While the men were like, heck yeah les her them speakers, the women were like, what, les just watch it on cable. To make a long story short, it somehow turned into this huge battle of the sexes type argument(friendly of course) that went on for about an hour. It has now become tradition, that someone screams out "hey why dont we watch the DVD instead" whenever we're all together.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    This used to happen to me all of the time. Now I have my meds and it doesn't happen anymore. Oh, by the way, greetings from Australia gang. I am going to spend New years with the aussie's!!! Then I am going to get back on my ship and go home with more meds.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Hey yer Lordship...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    This used to happen to me all of the time. Now I have my meds and it doesn't happen anymore. Oh, by the way, greetings from Australia gang. I am going to spend New years with the aussie's!!! Then I am going to get back on my ship and go home with more meds.
    I've been downunder twice. Last time in 1997. Been from Sydney to Perth and all inbetween. Whereabout you headed? Enjoy yourself, swim, bath but bring sunblock. Not a lot of ozone left down there. Only place I ever had to put sunblock on my black ass so trust me... you'll need it.

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I've been downunder twice. Last time in 1997. Been from Sydney to Perth and all inbetween. Whereabout you headed? Enjoy yourself, swim, bath but bring sunblock. Not a lot of ozone left down there. Only place I ever had to put sunblock on my black ass so trust me... you'll need it.

Da Worfster
    You were tanning your butt?

hahahahaha....dude you're toooo funny.....lol lol

Me? I'm not the one buttering up my butt to get it golden brown, or black, or bright red.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101

Da Worfster

Sir krispy brown Klingon,
    I am in Sydney now visiting some ex-Cavalier drum corps members who marched with me back in the ole days. Then off to Melbourne to do a soundtrack on a movie. I have been here just two days, and I have changes races twice(from light skin puerto rican to medium brown black). This is with sunblock(I thought this crap was supposed to block sun!). The people are great down here, strong film community, and really beautiful. I however need to get back to the foggy afternoons in the bay area. I now know how the Torch feels from the fantastic four!!!!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Sir krispy brown Klingon,
    I am in Sydney now visiting some ex-Cavalier drum corps members who marched with me back in the ole days. Then off to Melbourne to do a soundtrack on a movie. I have been here just two days, and I have changes races twice(from light skin puerto rican to medium brown black). This is with sunblock(I thought this crap was supposed to block sun!). The people are great down here, strong film community, and really beautiful. I however need to get back to the foggy afternoons in the bay area. I now know how the Torch feels from the fantastic four!!!!
    You're Tourch from F4? Dude, how's your sister? Does she still ask about me?

Red face Ahem....

Pbbbbst

Philistines!!!!

Now now....

Don't encourage him...

Da "What have I started now" Worfster

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information