RGA
    Forum Regular

Doctor Who on DVD...

For those Americans on the board who have not had the opportunity to watch the show because it was not opicked up by any of the networks will have the chance to buy the Season boxed DVD set http://www.futureshop.ca/home.asp?ne...gon=&langid=EN

The Christmas special had the new actor David Tennant take over and he IMO is going to be one of the best of the lot -- he understands the role a little better I think. It's the second highest rated show in Britain and won their people's choice award last year for actor and actress and, I think, show. It's been picked up for two more seasons in the UK and Canada. Retail is 99.00US I believe.

Thanks for the heads up! I saw a release date for that set on the DVD Aficionado site where I catalog my DVD collection, but I wasn't sure if it was available in the U.S. Looks like BBC/Warner video will actually release the set in the U.S., even though the series has yet to find a U.S. broadcaster. Even if the DVD set was just earmarked for Canada, it would not matter since the U.S. and Canada are both in Region 1.

FINALLY, I'll get a chance to watch the new series. Been a pretty bleak situation stateside for the past couple of years, as there are only two PBS stations left in the entire U.S. that still have broadcast rights for the old Doctor Who episodes. But, at least the DVDs of the original series have been coming out at a steady pace. I just found this BBC press release.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4599

RGA
    Forum Regular
    yeah the link I posted was incorrect -- I was trying to post the one you linked...I guess I had a few Screens opened at the same time and copy and pasted the wrong one. We got the 90 minute Christmas Invasion special on Boxing day. While it's only one episode I like tennant a lot more. He plays it bigger and grander than Eccleston who was dark and brooding. I know a lot of people had a tough time getting into Eccleston's portrayal. I didn't mind him but I think you would agree that Rose (Billie Piper) carries it.

You probably know but this season brings back leaner looking cyberman and Elizabeth Sladen is guest appearing and K-9 is coming back. Lots of people disliked K-9 but I thought he was great -- a whole new generation of fans can be introduced to the dog (and no doubt next year's Christmas toy in Britain. (err or in RGA's home LOL).

They've picked it up for two more seasons. I grant that the effects are not quite up to american Sci-fi standards and the show always had a cultish flavour to it and not everyone will appreciate the humour but you'd think given all the crap on television that somebody down there would pick it up.

Tennant I get the sense is more "Baker like" in conversation jumping off topic about seeming nonsense but fully on the ball. Now if he gives out jelly babies it would be perfect. So maybe he will be enough to get it picked up in the US.

They have people over there that spend a lot of time writing reviews. (they give parts away though so don;t read if that is bothersome. The X-mas special http://www.gallifreyone.com/review.php?id=2005-14

You know I should buy a Universal player region defeating player - Wharfedale used to sell one -- oh well.
    Last edited by RGA; 12-31-2005 at 12:42 AM.

Thread Information