A problem with DVD purchase. Need advice!

I don't hang here so if this has come up previously, sorry.

I've been wanting to purchase the Superbit version of Johnny Mnemonic for a while and finally got the chance to do so when Best Buy finally got a copy in store. I picked it up as well as another title and rushed home. I don't usually have the luxury of watching at the moment of purchase so it was about a week before I actually opened it. To my suprise(the first time this has happened or even heard it happen) there was no disc in the case! That thing cost me $23 but I still had the receipt and their return(exchange only) is good for 14 days so off I go. I get there, and they tell me that it does happen from time to time and they can't do anything with it but pointed me to Columbia Tristar's web site and said I could take it up with them. After being redirected from Sony pictures customer service, and 5 or so attempts to resolve this with no reply, I finally DID here from CTHE but they said they wouldn't do anything that I should go back to the vender I purchased it from.

Any advice on what to do next or how to handle the matter? Anybody have to go through this before? Usually, you can exchange a defective disc for a new one, but if there is no disc, what are you to do? It's not like I want to exchange for another title or anything, and while they probably won't have another copy in stock(not a hot item), I would be OK with them ordering one. I haven't shopped at CC for a year and a half because of how they treated me and don't want to be forced to do the same with BB.

Please tell me I''m not screwed here!

Thanks.
    Karl K.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction.

Quote Originally Posted by karl k

I've been wanting to purchase the Superbit version of Johnny Mnemonic for a while and finally got the chance to do so when Best Buy finally got a copy in store. I picked it up as well as another title and rushed home. I don't usually have the luxury of watching at the moment of purchase so it was about a week before I actually opened it. To my suprise(the first time this has happened or even heard it happen) there was no disc in the case! That thing cost me $23 but I still had the receipt and their return(exchange only) is good for 14 days so off I go. I get there, and they tell me that it does happen from time to time and they can't do anything with it but pointed me to Columbia Tristar's web site and said I could take it up with them. After being redirected from Sony pictures customer service, and 5 or so attempts to resolve this with no reply, I finally DID here from CTHE but they said they wouldn't do anything that I should go back to the vender I purchased it from.

Any advice on what to do next or how to handle the matter? Anybody have to go through this before? Usually, you can exchange a defective disc for a new one, but if there is no disc, what are you to do? It's not like I want to exchange for another title or anything, and while they probably won't have another copy in stock(not a hot item), I would be OK with them ordering one. I haven't shopped at CC for a year and a half because of how they treated me and don't want to be forced to do the same with BB.

Thanks.
    Wow. The amazing thing to me is that they even MAKE a Superbit version of Johnny Mnemonic in the first place! : )

But seriously, did you raise a stink with the store manager at Best Buy? I'd even be LOUD about it in front of other customers if need be. It may (or may not) make you feel like an @ss, but will probably get results.

Jeff
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

Thumbs down Hmmm that does suck one big enchilada....

Wow, well I'd take the case back with the reciept. Tell the guy you're not looking for a refund but you'd just lke the movie. Be polite, point out htat you're a frequent purchaser and had bought another DVD at the same time. Hopefully, if he/she is not a total prick, you'll exchange it for another... If they do help you out, open the thing right there and then....

Da Worfster...

PS you might not be the only one with this problem.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I don't see what the problem is here. All the store has to do is give you an even exchange and claim it as a defect with the manufacturer. I have heard of this happenning before, but not of it actually turning into a problem. That's pretty hard-nosed of Best Buy.

The problem may be in the definition of "defective". Defective may constitute "having" software that is damaged. Claiming defective when the software can't even be produced for inspection may not be a practical claim when considering the possibility of piracy, which is why the "exchange for same title" policy exists in the first place.

Anyway, the problem ultimately is that Columbia Tristar/ Sony pictures(according to BB) apparently isn't re-embersing Best Buy for the returns pertaining to "missing" software and therefore expecting Best Buy to soak up the loss.

I do intend to go back to Best Buy and talk with the manager about it. I will also point out that under the policy as it was explained to me, that even if I bought the movie, opened it at the counter and exposed the missing disc, they still couldn't do anything because without the disc "in my possession", there's nothing to exchange AND that they don't even allow me to inspect the condition of the disc BEFORE purchase in an effort to protect myself in case of missing disc.

I will say this... I have had less than desireble experiences with BB customer service in the past but that was around Christmas and that can be pretty stressfull but maybe that is more the norm that first thought?
    Karl K.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction.

Forum Regular
    Hi there Karl; I think BLUE MEANIE is right about seeing the store manager, but I would do it in a diplomatic way. This is the first time I have heard of this happening. I do not think any members of audioreview here have ever reported such a thing happen to them nor on any other forums. It is possible that the disc was stolen either at Sony and perhaps even at Best Buy if Best Buy places a security sticker along the two closed ends of the case. I sincerely hope you get satisfaction. Kelsci

Fyi...

Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    It is possible that the disc was stolen either at Sony and perhaps even at Best Buy if Best Buy places a security sticker along the two closed ends of the case. I sincerely hope you get satisfaction. Kelsci
    I would be inclined to believe it has more to do with the "equipment" that places the disc in the packaging than theft. I think it's more likely that their equipment either placed 2 disc's in the prior case on the line, a disc got "stuck" in the maching(a misfire if you will) and wasn't placed in the package, or the machine ran out of disc's before the machines "count" said it should.

Aside from the wrap around the box, there are no other security tapes on the case on Superbit versions that I've encountered.(I've got 10 different titles) Maybe because they are double boxed unlike your average DVD(case only).

Thanks Kelsci!
    Karl K.

Forum Regular
    Karl; I am in agreement with you. This could have been a packaging misfire at Sony as you describe. The most important thing is for you not to be screwed out of this purchase at this time. If you do not get any satisfaction after seeing the store manager, here is an idea. Do any of the newspapers or tv stations in your area have a consumer help line? Here in S. Fla. I know of at least one station that has a lawyer that helps consumers with problems. Hopefully it will not come to this. JOHNNY NEUMONIC looked and sounded good on Laserdisc. A few years ago, I was able to rent the laserdisc and made copies of some favorite segments of the film on VHS Hi-Fi tape. This film ought to look dazzling in SUPERBIT and sound quite good in D.D.5.1 and DTS.Kelsci.

Kam

here's something you can try.

if, in the event, the best buy store manager is not cooperative and has not given you what you paid for, (hoping you've saved all the written communication with sony, if any). here's something to do. depending on how much ire you have built up over this situation and how serious you want what you deserve, without having to deal with all the corp redtape and bs that it appears you have already had to deal with (if you cant already tell, this is a pet peeve of mine and really irks the hell out of me when corps do this).

write (keep everything in writing if you can) the best buy customer service office explaining your dillemma and complete lack of cooperation in giving you what you paid for, and send a CC (with the cc clearly marked on the letter) to the better business bureau of your state and to the attorney general's consumer division office of your state as well with photocopies of your receipt. send it via registered mail and see how quickly they will do everything in their power to appease you then. this has worked for me and my friends on numerous issues where the customer service division of companies has not given any service whatsoever. friend of mine got 6 months of free service from tmobile when they tried to screw him out of a deal they had advertised and then revoked. all for the cost of printing up one letter and the registered receipt (which actually he got back as well).
    just some thoughts on not letting the corp screw the consumer. hope it helps!
    good luck
    peace
    k2

Thanks to all who posted replies!

Quote Originally Posted by karl k

Thanks.
    I did as we discussed, talked to BB(but not the store manager) and showed them the correspondance with Sony and Columbia Tristar and simply asked "What next?" "Are you sticking to your policy of no returns/exchanges for missing software?" I've never seen such looks of indecission before from any customer service, anywhere! LOL! I also asked if I were to open the future movies at the time of purchase and found one missing again, would this problem with policy continue to exist? I was told no guarantees, but not likely to be a problem. Just wanted to let you know BB came through when asked and I would expect them to do so in the future.

Thanks again for the advice!

Happy "MURDER" day everybody!
    Karl K.

Thread Information