Prequel Or Sequel?

Printable View

• 09-15-2004, 12:48 PM
    juneaudrey
    Prequel Or Sequel?
    Hello All,

What film would you love to see a prequel or sequel? I would choose the prequel to "THE WAY OF THE GUN!!!"

June
  • 09-15-2004, 07:45 PM
    Worf101
    Several Sequels and a couple of Prequels I suppose..
    I'm primarily going to talk about movies that probably won't have sequels or prequels.

Sequels:

1. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - I'd love to see a sequel to this movie. I enjoyed it much more than the critics and would love to see the League ride again.

2. Taxi Driver - I'd like to know what happened to him later in his life. I'm kinda curious.

3. Blade Runner - Only if done "right" and with no studio interference about the story.

4. The Thing - Either version deserves a sequel but definately the John Carpenter Version.

5. The Seven Samurai - Only if done by a master.

6. Conan the Barbarian - With a real cast and a budget.

Prequels:

1. Gladiator - I'd love to see how Comidus grew up and how Maximus became the great general he did.

2. The Seven Samurai - I'd llike to see the lives of the characters before they met.

3. Da Boot - I'd like to see the U-boats during "the happy time".

4. The Hobbit - I guess it's getting made.

Sequels I don't want to see ever made:

1. No more Batman's, Hulks, Superman's etc...
    2, No more friggin Harry Potters...
    3. Ditto James Bond.
    4. Mega Ditto's Rocky, Terminator and any franchise from the early 80's.

Da Worfster :cool:
  • 09-16-2004, 05:10 AM
    hifimaster
    "1. No more Batman's"

Uh oh.
    Batman Begins: Summer of 2005. It's a prequel.

James
  • 09-16-2004, 05:45 AM
    Bryan
    Love to see The Hobbit and X-Men 3.

No more Star Trek movies unless they can be done right. Bring back some of the unfinished story lines.

Superman - Is there really a need?
  • 09-16-2004, 06:03 AM
    kexodusc
    Prequels:

1) The Godfather...expand on the rise of the Corleone family, the other families, etc.
    2) The Ring - This movie scared the bejezus out us, that creepy girl would be a hit in a pre-quel of some sort

hmmm...all I can think of really

Sequels:
    1) Star Trek TNG: I liked "Nemesis" I'd hate to think we've seen the end of these.
    2) Pirates of the Carribean - this was good ol' fun to watch movie like old Disney flicks
    3) Planet of the Apes - as much as I hated the first one (the new version), they owe a debt to fans to finish it off better
    4) Independance Day 2 - Nothing like a slimy alien to unite the whole world and get us to stop b*tchin' with each other...Blow up a baseball stadium somewhere next time 60,000 people nuked in a terror-filled instant. (but this would have to be done very well or it'd ruin the 1st one).
    5) The Bourne Ultimatum - I love the books, love the movies...why not?
    6) The Muppets - Screw CGI, whatever the hell happened to the good ol' muppet? Animal rules!

Prequels I hope they NEVER make:

1) Anaconda - how do them snakes get so big, anyway?
    2) Blair Witch....shoulda stopped with the 1st one
    3) Waterworld

Sequels I hope they Never make:
    1) Freddy Got Fingered - Haven't we pretty much said all we needed to say with the first one?
    2) Armaggedon 2 - Just to keep Aerosmith from making more lame-a$$ ballads
    3) Riding in Cars With Boys 2 - uuughhhh
    4) Anything that implies Honda Civics are "Fast" or "Furious"
  • 09-16-2004, 04:31 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    I'm a pretty happy boy
    Ghost in the Shell -- both (Prequel == Stand-Alone Complex; Sequel == GITS: Innocence [coming out soon])
    From Dusk Til Dawn -- both, again (Prequel == FDTD3: Hangman's Daughter; Sequel == FDTD2: Texas Blood Money)

Very few sequels I like -- T2, Aliens (actually, I wouldn't mind a follow up to Resurrection, that one wasn't quite finished), Airplane!, Naked Gun...

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd love to see a sequel to Young Frankenstein. Perhaps, "Old Frankenstein".

The Dragonheart prequel (New Beginnings?) was actually very good.

Hmmm...let me think about some of my other favourite movies:

2001 -- been done (2010), haven't seen it yet. Read the book, not necessarily interested (it sucked).
    Blade Runner -- hinted at, would love to see a sequel if someone can write a really good story that takes a total left turn early on.
    Fifth Element -- nah...but if they do, I'd like to suggest how it would start -- since Leeloo is "perfect", she wouldn't age at all, while Korben Dallas ages like a normal human being. So they could start the movie with him dying of old age. That'd be pretty funny.
    Akira -- nope, can't be done. I mean, they could, but they'd have to come up with a completely new storyline.
    Spirited Away -- now there's a thought. I'd love to see a sequel of that one.
    Nightmare on Elm Street -- #3 (Dream Warriors?) was actually very good.
    Face/Off -- nope. Please, no.
    Scarface? Wouldn't mind seeing a prequel to that, in the same vein as the Godfather prequel.
    True Lies -- would love to see a sequel to that one, but it'll never happen, unless Arnold only does a cameo, and Jamie Lee Curtis is the star.
    Long Kiss Goodnight -- yes, definitely. They could definitely do that "past comes back to haunt her" that they did with the Bourne series.

Supposedly, they're doing an Indiana Jones sequel, when he's older. 60's? 70's?

Please, no more Star Wars.

They're welcome to milk the Hellraiser series, I didn't get enough of that. Bloodlines, in particular, was a good concept. But yeah, I'm pretty much done with Freddy Krueger/Michael Myers/Jason/et al. Although they really should kill them once and for all.

Hitcher -- someone on this very board informed me there was a sequel to this.
  • 09-16-2004, 05:13 PM
    kexodusc
    Oh yeah, I'm still holding out for Beattlejuice 2.
  • 09-16-2004, 05:49 PM
    jamison
    how about BACKDRAFT 2 THE SECOND WIND?
  • 09-30-2004, 01:47 PM
    This Guy
    a sequel to Training Day would be awesome. Love that movie.
  • 09-30-2004, 02:33 PM
    ericl
    If only there was a sequel to..
    Better Off Dead

Then my life would be complete.

TWO DOLLARS!

-eric
  • 09-30-2004, 03:16 PM
    dean_martin
    [QUOTE=Dusty Chalk]Ghost in the Shell -- both (Prequel == Stand-Alone Complex; Sequel == GITS: Innocence [coming out soon])

Akira -- nope, can't be done. I mean, they could, but they'd have to come up with a completely new storyline.
    Spirited Away -- now there's a thought. I'd love to see a sequel of that one.

Dusty, how long you been into the Japanese animation? I've seen Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Spirited Away, Princess Mononkekkpaoepojpaj(sp?), Cowboy Bebop the Movie, and Ninja Scroll.

I've seen Stand-Alone Complex in Best Buy, but assumed it was from a tv series. Is it really a full-feature prequel? I assume you would recommend it to someone who liked GITS?
  • 09-30-2004, 04:34 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Dusty, how long you been into the Japanese animation? I've seen Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Spirited Away, Princess Mononkekkpaoepojpaj(sp?), Cowboy Bebop the Movie, and Ninja Scroll.

Even though I've been watching them for a long time, I'm still a bit of a newb -- I just don't watch anything that much. I've got a few up on you, but not much (you must see Laputa: Castle in the Sky).

And it's Mononoke (mah-no-NAH-ke, where ke is somewhere between kee and keh, and there's a secondary accent on mah). Think Hawaiian.
    Quote:

I've seen Stand-Alone Complex in Best Buy, but assumed it was from a tv series. Is it really a full-feature prequel? I assume you would recommend it to someone who liked GITS?

No, you're right, it's a TV series, but...well, watch it, you'll see. Yes, I would highly recommend it to someone who liked GITS. Even though there are only four episodes per vid. If you have any doubts, rent the first disk, and watch at least the first two episodes. If you aren't convinced that the series is worthwhile by the end of the second episode, then by all means, quit.

But I kind of doubt it.

Visually, the quality varies -- some of the lesser scenes look hand-drawn, and Major Kusanage spends way too much time dressed up in tights to be really acceptable professionally, but the important scenes are well-enough done.

But storywise, they are excellent, and well worth watching the whole series as it comes out.
  • 09-30-2004, 08:01 PM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    No, you're right, it's a TV series, but...well, watch it, you'll see. Yes, I would highly recommend it to someone who liked GITS. Even though there are only four episodes per vid. If you have any doubts, rent the first disk, and watch at least the first two episodes. If you aren't convinced that the series is worthwhile by the end of the second episode, then by all means, quit.

But I kind of doubt it.

Visually, the quality varies -- some of the lesser scenes look hand-drawn, and Major Kusanage spends way too much time dressed up in tights to be really acceptable professionally, but the important scenes are well-enough done.

But storywise, they are excellent, and well worth watching the whole series as it comes out.

Thanks for the info. I get a little confused on some of the anime. It seems like for almost every movie there's a corresponding movie and I can't figure out which came first.

I'll certainly check out Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

BTW, did you ever find the Donnie Darko clues? Speaking of sequels, that's one I would like to see. (Depending upon your interpretation of what was going on in the movie, a sequel may be possible.)
  • 09-30-2004, 08:53 PM
    Lensman
    Anything by Hayao Miyazaki is absolutely worthwhile viewing. I'm so glad Disney did straight-up jobs of accurately and professionally releasing his films in English. Even Totoro, done several years before the whole Spirited Away thing, is well-done - even if though they didn't offer subtitled Japanese or letterbox options.

Since New World Pictures' rights to Nausicaa expired in 1995, I wish would Disney would acquire it and give it the same treatment. This is one of Miyazaki's best works. Like Spirited Away, it dominated Japan's box office when released. To this day, Nausicaa (the heroine) remains one the all-time favorite anime characters among Japanese and was the number one favorite character in anime magazine polls for YEARS. New World believed they could only market Nausicaa as a kids film and their hack job, "Warriors of the Wind," was horrifying to watch. I remember showing it to a friend visiting from Japan back in the mid 80s. She just kept shaking her head and saying, "whole image is destroyed..." over and over.

I'd love to see a sequel to Nausicaa. Miyazaki's even been asked. He says no. However, when asked about a sequel to the manga, he's more vague and implies he has some ideas. He even said once he'd like to write about Nausicaa when she's in her 30s. So who knows? Maybe there's hope.

I'd also love to see Cartoon Network show Miyazaki's Future Boy Conan series.

Gotta wonder what a prequel to Cowboy Bebop might be like too when Spike was a still a member of the Red Dragons mafia and Jet was a police officer...
  • 10-01-2004, 05:54 AM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

Thanks for the info. I get a little confused on some of the anime. It seems like for almost every movie there's a corresponding movie and I can't figure out which came first.

Confused indeed! Meant to say for almost every movie there's a corresponding tv series.