Cool Which of premium channels have the best movies.

At one time or other I had tried all the available premium channels, and I must say Cinemax seem to be the best of bunch in providing diverse and variety of movies that others dare not to show.

Majority of movies on HBO seem to be big block buster movies, their own made movies, series and documentaries. Showtime/TheMovie Channel offer garden variety that might have been a minor hit, mixed with the ones that went strait from theater to video stores. Starz/Encore seem to be somewhere in between.

But Cinemax (which is owned by HBO) seem to push all boundaries from providing big budget movies, award winning [and sometimes low budget] foreign films, cutting edge documentaries and movies that we never knew existed. Never a dull moment

Forum Regular
    I have HBO, I used to like it alot, a long time ago, now Im not sure if its worth the money, they hook me for $10.95 a month here for it.
    There are a couple series I like alot, Sopprono's, DeadWood and a occasional HBO movie.
    The reason I realy wanted HBO was for the Boxing, and it used to be great, Now if you happend to get a Live fight you have to bare through a couple annoncers who constantly cut one the the boxers down, about how they shouldnt be in the ring after they promote a possible fight of the year. But most of the Boxing now is taped and shown a week after the fight, occasionaly you will get a good fight but there not on that often.
    My bigest beef with HBO is they will show 3 or 4 movies a month and documentrys and show them to death! and anything new has already been out on DvD about 6 months before they show it.
    Il probly drop HBO soon, I think channels like Fox and Fox sports are better than HBO now and much cheaper.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Cinemax has the largest movie catalog of any premium service. I think Starz/Encore is on their way and will one day rival HBO/Cinemax, but for now they just don't have the rights to enough movies,

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I think the extra Showtime channels play stuff that's a little off the beaten path. Their main channel is ok for boxing although their production is not as slick as HBO's. My wife likes Starz. We're going from digital cable to either directv or dish network. Now we have an HBO/Showtime package. But the bargain satellite packages include HBO/Cinemax. So, we'll probably be making a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark4583
    The reason I realy wanted HBO was for the Boxing, and it used to be great.
    Yes I agree. HBO used to be great for sports fans. But with so many new sport channels and pay per views, it really make it irrelevent and they show alot of sport movies also. I just saw the Raging Bull on ESPN-CLASSIC the other night

Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    I think Starz/Encore is on their way and will one day rival HBO/Cinemax, but for now they just don't have the rights to enough movies
    I have Encore movie channels and they are great. They show alot of good movies/TV series from the past, including old black and white Gunsmoke shows

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    We're going from digital cable to either directv or dish network
    I just moved from Dish to digital cables (Comcast) becuse of my new location. Cables seem to be slightly more expensive, but I got $400 credit for my dish and applied it to my bill for next 16 months ($25 each month). So I am paying $35 for $60 package

Cool I've HBO and Showtime...

I find HBO to be bout worth the money. I won't pay for Cinemax because all the same movies on HBO will eventually end up there and vice versa. Showtime to me is about the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. I only get it because she HAS to see ***** as Folk, a show I just can't get into and usually leave her to watch. I'm intruigued by Starz but with my cable bill already over $120 a month, I need more services like I need a hole in my wallet...

Da Worfster

Forum Regular
    I like Starz & HBO packages.

Thread Information