Kam

Battlestar Gallactica

Love it!!! has anyone else been keeping up with the series? am so glad scifi brought it back after the mini-series last year. really think its been kicking ass and has made my normally boring, dull friday nights. and if in the off chance am not in, my vcr finally has come into its worth now as i relearn timed recordings.
    great cast and great show, was fun to see the original apollo return for a cameo. wondering if they'll get into the Iblis storyline from the old version, that was just on today?yesterday? a classic!

peace
    k2
    by your command!
    /create

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Battlestar is the best part of my week

I agree - great show. It is shaping up to be a great character drama more than just an effects-laden sci-fi series. Seems closer to sci-fi literature than most of the shows and movies that come out these days. I'm happily surprised.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Does it come on once a week or are there repeats? I guess I could check sci-fi's website. Anyhow, I remember watching the original series faithfully. I also watched "Space: 1999" which became my favorite of the 2 as I got older.

Haven't had a chance to see it yet because it's on at the same time as Enterprise, which my wife is hooked on. (no Tivo, so we're stuck watching one thing at a time with the satellite receiver) What I heard about the Galactica miniseries didn't interest me much, but I've read that the regular series has really done well. I guess when Enterprise is over, we'll have an opp to catch up with what Galactica's been doing.

It repeats several times during the week. The only one I can remember is the following Monday at the same time as Friday.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well Enterprise is absolutely dreadful --- Apparently it's been cancelled --- it came into the year ranked 142 out of 160 and that number dropped because viewership is down 50%. Even with Brent Spiner breathing life into the show for a 3 part episode the show was dead weight.

I am a big Star Trek fan but it's just so banal -- it ripped off episodes of TNG and that's sad when a sci-fi show can't come up with new ideas. Other than Bakula the rest of the cast was horrible -- no one had any presence whatsoever --- the vulcan pouty lipped one was stilted -- Hoshi what a useless character as well as the ensign --- Heck I've watched most of them and can;t even remember their names. The best Enterprise episode would be looking up at the Worst TNG episode --- And the worst TNG episode was pretty bad actually where Riker is in a coma and has flashbacks --- copout show.

Luckily the Incridble Hulk is back on TV --- now you know how bad I think Enterprise is.

It was a stupid premise to have a show pre-dating Kirk anyway --- almost as stupid as Star Wars prequels -- I got half way through Episode I and had to shut it off due to the incomprehensible Jar Jar ----- Truly horrible science Fiction.

I hope battlestar Galacta is good or I'm going to buy Dr. Who on DVD -- it was campy aand had bad effects --- but it had a bit of a brain and more to the point it had a pulse.

Talking Not only do I watch B.G... I love it...

The miniseries had me hooked and the series is just plain, good flat out drama. Best SciFi drama since ST Deep Space Nine and Babylon 5. Talk about out manned, out gunned and on the run. They have to hunt to find fuel, food, water and weapons and let's not even mention the Sylons in their midst. Bears about as much resemblance to the original as a Yugo to a Jaguar.

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Well Enterprise is absolutely dreadful --- Apparently it's been cancelled --- it came into the year ranked 142 out of 160 and that number dropped because viewership is down 50%. Even with Brent Spiner breathing life into the show for a 3 part episode the show was dead weight.
    Well, I've not been a big fan of recent Trek series either, but my wife (and apparently quite a few others) insists that the last couple of seasons of Enterprise have been the best that Trek has done since probably the fourth season of ST:TNG. The ratings slide was largely due to UPN's idiotic decision to move Enterprise to Friday night, opposite the Sci-Fi Channel's slate of first run series, which this season features Stargate and Battlestar Galactica. It's not like the universe of sci-fi fans is that big to begin with, and splitting the audience like that is hardly a formula to keep the ratings up. The ratings are not a good measure because nearly all of UPN's shows don't regularly break into the top 100 to begin with (it's hard to do that without near 100% market coverage, which UPN lacks).

I follow Enterprise only sporatically because the characters and the premise just don't interest me all that much. (But, since my wife watches it, it's on quite a bit) Tried watching it the first season, but that gawdawful MOR adult contemporary theme song just makes my skin crawl every time I hear it, and I thought the stories were boring. They started doing the longer story arcs last season, and that got my wife hooked on the series again. And she's a big fantasy/sci-fi buff. I also kept up with Voyager for the first season, until I gave up on that series as well (and I tried to watch it because I used to live in the same dorm as one of the cast members).

I am a big Star Trek fan but it's just so banal -- it ripped off episodes of TNG and that's sad when a sci-fi show can't come up with new ideas. Other than Bakula the rest of the cast was horrible -- no one had any presence whatsoever --- the vulcan pouty lipped one was stilted -- Hoshi what a useless character as well as the ensign --- Heck I've watched most of them and can;t even remember their names. The best Enterprise episode would be looking up at the Worst TNG episode --- And the worst TNG episode was pretty bad actually where Riker is in a coma and has flashbacks --- copout show.
    I dunno. TNG had some pretty bad episodes, especially in the first season , and in the fifth and sixth seasons when it seemed like it was just an endless parade of "moral dilemmas". I attended a seminar with Harlan Ellison (who wrote the classic Trek episode City On The Edge of Forever as well as countless sci-fi novels, an uncredited scriptwriting contribution to The Terminator and the concept for Babylon 5) the night after TNG premiered, and he just picked that episode apart -- it was hilarious and much deserved. And as much as I like the original series (and IMO the best of the original Trek is better than anything in the sequels), there were some clunkers there that were worse than anything that's come since then (Spock's Brain and Operation, Annihilate are among the laughably awful episodes).

It was a stupid premise to have a show pre-dating Kirk anyway --- almost as stupid as Star Wars prequels -- I got half way through Episode I and had to shut it off due to the incomprehensible Jar Jar ----- Truly horrible science Fiction.
    Well, I don't think the premise of Enterprise was bad. The first season at least, I just thought the execution was bad. They were trying to bring space back to being a dangerous unexplored territory, where the technology isn't evolved enough to always save the day (how many times did TNG save the day with transporter modifications or plugging into Data?), and where everyone doesn't just get along like they do in the other Trek sequels. And I thought they failed at that conveying that.

Supposedly, Galactica's gotten a lot of buzz because it effectively works the premise of the remnants of humanity in space on the run from an alien machine race bent on genocide. That's a pretty good premise that the original Galactica series squandered to some degree.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well the thing that works in TNG's favour is that in spite of a weak story --- and I agee there were a number of those - the charisma of the cast won it over...Thus the story is not everything. Story arcs are a dangerous game for a tv series to play in my view. Dr. Who did that with the Keys to Time which played over a full season -- Deep Space Nine did the same thing and arguably that worked --IF you were a fan of the show. Trouble is it's hard to then show in re-runs because it has to be shown in a specific order to make sense --- TNG never did that and largely were self-cnatained episodes --- a sub story would make reference to a show in a prior year but the audience would not NEED to have viewed the prior episode.

Yes the first Season of TNG was a bit weak and really picked up after Yar was killed off and Frakes grew a beard. DS9 played for a more gritty view of Starfleet where not everyone was a noble 19th century Ideal human.

Voyager got better when Seven of Nine joined the cast.

What these three shows have is charsimatic characters with a brighter setting and dual stories that didn;t rely on one person -- the original series wasa vanity piece for Shatner and really a three man show. The New Enterprise does not have that larger than life interesting character like a Data or a Seven or an ODO. Nor does the new series have chemistry between characters.

TNG had excellent side characters and chemistry in banter or heightened moral commentary. Data/Picard/Guinan in "The Measure of a Man." Side characters who could carry an episode such as Barclay, Moriarty, Guinen, Ro Laren, Q, even some of the ones wit Wesly. The point is that it was not all centered on Patrick Stewart to carry the entire charisma or interest of every single show.

One show could be focused on Deanna Troy and her mother one could be on Worf and the Empire another on Data another with those side characters. DS9 had Odo/Quark and Odo/Kira pining romance subplots and Garrick/Bashir subplots that were interesting...so even when the science fiction elements fall a bit flat the dialogue and "liking" for the characters held it together. This also applies to Voyager with the Doctor/Seven/Paris etc

The new Enterprise has no such characters. A day in the life of Flox was a copy of Data Day but gives no insight into the Doctor -- we know little of any of the characters beyond plot points -- they basically lack charisma --- dialogue is virtually never light --- there is no humour the set is dank, the beginning song is I agree hopeless...they rely on story arcs that fail miserably because the villains are uninteresting --- there is no borg here we get those lame blue guys with tentacles, we get the scary Romulans??? Big deal we've seen them before, we get genetically enanced bad actors, and oooh scary Klingons.

Hell Doctor Who came up with more interesting villains - larger than life character, and charsima -- Tom Baker lit the screen with his goofy smile and jelly baby offerrings and fought idiotic Daleks -- but it was FUN. Enterprise gives us a frowning pouty lipped monotone big breasted Vulcan and card board cut out characters and stilted acting. Good Riddance -- this show never should have been green lighted in te first place --- I did like Bakula, but I'd rather them bring back Quantum Leap --- a far superior show.

I like that the story shows the Cylons with a bit more depth than the original Battlestar.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Kam

don't hurt none at all having a former victoria secret model on the show either... am curious if they'll get in to how the cylons are programmed to think they are human? like how the Boomer cylon on the gallactica - she is supposed to think she is human, but the boomer cylon on caprica obviously knows she's a cylon.

interesting stuff too with the last episode and how the cylon drones are like pets, the whole cyborg part-human and part-machine... and all the balthar stuff going on made him very interesting. the machinations of the cylons, expecially #6, are so darn devious and layered- now he'll get his hands on that nuclear device for the 'cylon detector' and will see what will happen with that!
    /create

Did anybody see Trekkies 2 where they showed that kid from the first Trekkies and he was showing some of the work he was doing for Battlestar Galactica?
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se

Forum Regular
    I didnt realize that Battlestar was a new series.I wasnt impressed with the mini-series at all.
    I'll stick with my classic originals,still a lot of fun to watch now.
    Anybody still have their toys?

To this day I cannot believe my parents never bought me a viper. I had a cylon raider and that crazy made up scout viper with interchangable parts.

I do miss the opening theme music from the originals.

Honestly, the mini-series didn't do a whole lot for me either. But the series has really taken it to a much higher level.
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se

Talking E.....

Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    Did anybody see Trekkies 2 where they showed that kid from the first Trekkies and he was showing some of the work he was doing for Battlestar Galactica?
    Love your Signature... My quote would be....
    "I guess they jest don't like de human beings?"

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Love your Signature... My quote would be....
    "I guess they jest don't like de human beings?"
    Ha Ha Ha
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se

Kam

Latest Episode (Spoilers)

Was that 'scripture' being quoted biblical scripture? sounded awefully like it and thought the cylon was trying to make jesus comparisons. very interesting with the 'adama is a cylon' line at the end. very different from the original as there are more 'badguys' aboard the gallactica then there are with the cylons. #6 is just soooooo bad she's good, boomer is more human then some humans, this prophet cylon was very insiduously cool, the press reporter/civilian cylon guy is the only one that's kind of a 'jerk cylon.' and we haven't seen all the cylon models just yet.... so we'll have to wait and see till adama takes the 'cylon test.' Nice that its not as B/W as the original, as much as i did enjoy the original i prefer examining shades of grey.
    /create

It's Interesting that the Cylons refer to one true god, while the Colonials have many. I had to rewind the DVR like 5 times before I could make out "Adama is a cylon". Boomer on both Galactica and Caprica is becoming interesting.

I kind of want to see a remake of the Living Legend episodes with the Pegesus
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se

Angry I tell you what though....

There's one guy I want dead, dead... DEAD!!!! Giaus Balthar reminds me so much of Dr. Julian Bashir from ST Deep Space Nine. Where as Bashir was just annoying in a self serving way, over 7 seasons he "grew up" and his friendship with Miles O'Brien was/is one of the best in television history... This sniveling, greasy, nasty little skaggit needs a bullet through the windpipe in the worst way. I know that its the sign of a truly "effective" villain when you want them dead, but I'll settle for silent even if you can't kill him. Leave him on a rock for theCylons to pick up something, anything, just get rid of him...

Da Worfster

Thread Information