View Poll Results: Goodbye Harry! Happy Sad or Indifferent

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sad: I loved Hairy and the Crew named my first child, a boy, Hermine!

1 8.33%
  • Indifferent: Don't know don't care. Like to see that wand go agains my Smiff and Wesson!

8 66.67%
  • Happy: Good Riddance to all them stick weilding whiners. Get Ta Steppin!!!

3 25.00%

Poll Time: Happy Sad or Indifferent about the End of Potter?

The series is "OVAH" or so they say. But we who know how Hollywood really works know that one should never say never in the land of sequels and revivals. My simple question is are you happy, sad or indifferent about the final film in the Hairy Pothead film series?

Worf

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I'm happy to see it end. I haven't read the books and I'm not a fan of the movies. I've been dragged to see them all by my fan-boy husband, but really I couldn't care less. I'll go see the last one only because I saw part one of the final movie and want to see how it ends. I found the creativity and cinematography of the films interesting, but the story was ho-hum.

Bye bye Harry. See ya on Broadway! (you know it's only a matter of time)

I feel Hollywood should have learn something from this long running series, Each movie for the most part could stand on its own, It allowed the characters to grow naturally, and lucky for them each main characters did not have any major growth spurt that would look odd against the actors. Its appeal was broad (at first the tweens then growing with that group) which I feel help keep its legs at the box office over the years. Also K Rawlings ability to keep the story detailed and focus in her books, did not allow some directors to add there own flavor and kept the storyline even with the books, the LOTR series suffered from this, but again it only had the one book to work off.

I just hope they let it die and not try to squeeze more money out of it by making prequels of when harry was first born and the battles that took place that lead to his parents death.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    my money's on "indifferent" considering the demographics (we're all too cool to care, right?)

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I'm happy to see it end. I haven't read the books and I'm not a fan of the movies. I've been dragged to see them all by my fan-boy husband, but really I couldn't care less. I'll go see the last one only because I saw part one of the final movie and want to see how it ends. I found the creativity and cinematography of the films interesting, but the story was ho-hum.

Bye bye Harry. See ya on Broadway! (you know it's only a matter of time)
    FA do yourself a favor and read the books. J.K. Rowling is the most read author of our times. We have a friend who never read the books until like two months ago and now she's on book six and she finally sat down and watched the first movie with us two weeks ago. It was just sooooo amazing to be sitting there with someone who had never seen any of the movies. We had to keep stopping the movie because she was just so wowed by what the characters looked like in the movie compared to how they were discribed in the book. It was sort of like someone at their first Christmas. I was 50 years old when I first heard of Harry Potter and I thought "Another childrens story", It is so much more.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    It's a cultural phenomenom that has bypassed me. I feel in no way less enriched for that.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    It's a cultural phenomenom that has bypassed me. I feel in no way less enriched for that.
    Hehehe, I work in what is normally a pretty serious environment, but when the first part of this last movie was released a few months ago, a couple of my teammates were chatting about it like a couple young girls, oohing and aahing and talking about story lines, and magic, and all sorts of things that had me perplexed. I've seen a couple of the movies, but it has bypassed me too. Then again, I'm reading the latest from one of my favorites right now, Iain M. Banks Surface Detail, so probably not so odd

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I am sad but probably for a different reason than most. The movies have always been good, solid pieces of escapism. The movies themselves were something I have been going to see with my kids for the past 10 years. I just picked my daughter up from college (she is now almost 22) just so we can all go see the last one together just as we have done wih all the previous movies.

The end of the series represents for me a bit of the end of my kid's childhood and the time we spent together. Memories of those times are worth every $8 bucket of popcorn spent watching these movies!
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    FA do yourself a favor and read the books.
    I read the first one back when there were only two or three. I enjoyed it but it was a kid's book and I had no desire to continue. Now that I know they are not all kids books I'll get around to them some day. But at the moment (and for probably the next few years while I work full-time and go to school part-time) I don't have a lot of time for pleasure reading unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    I am sad but probably for a different reason than most. The movies have always been good, solid pieces of escapism. The movies themselves were something I have been going to see with my kids for the past 10 years. I just picked my daughter up from college (she is now almost 22) just so we can all go see the last one together just as we have done wih all the previous movies.

The end of the series represents for me a bit of the end of my kid's childhood and the time we spent together. Memories of those times are worth every $8 bucket of popcorn spent watching these movies!
    I know a lot of people who will be sad for this reason.

My sister-in-law read all seven books to my nieces, separately. She was reading the last book to the oldest while reading the fourth book to the youngest. We rent a cottage for a week every summer and there was a great tree there with a huge branch that hung over the lake. That was the reading tree. My SIL would sit there every morning and read to one kid and then to the other. I wasn't even part of the ritual and I have great memories of her reading HP to the kids like that. Unfortunately, the branch came down in a big storm a couple of summers ago. Right around the same time that she finished reading the last book to the youngest. Hmmmmmm. Coincidence or magic?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    One would think I would rather enjoy a young studious English lad with a wand but alas no interest.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I only got through the first three Harry Potter movies. They never did much for me, and I haven't read the books. So, for me this is all a non-event.

Even if I felt the need to be among the geeks getting dressed up for midnight screenings, I wouldn't know what's going on, given that I missed the 4th through 7th movies. Last time I saw Emma Watson, she was barely entering puberty -- I don't need to be around a bunch of neckbeards fawning over how hot they think she is.

Besides, all this Harry Potter mania just reminds of the infamous South Park Lord of the Rings episode. Cartman's one-word assessment of Harry Potter fans is classic ...

Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I guess I'm gonna miss Harry Potter. Never read the books, but other than the 3rd movie I found them all decent enough for what they are. Really surprised I lasted the whole way through. Hollywood could do (and usually does) a lot worse.

I think maybe only Saw and The Fast and the Furious have had as many movies pumped out over the last decade or so. Harry Potter by KO.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    The series is "OVAH" or so they say. But we who know how Hollywood really works know that one should never say never in the land of sequels and revivals. My simple question is are you happy, sad or indifferent about the final film in the Hairy Pothead film series?

Worf
    I've seem most or all (?) of the HP flicks, mostly because my wife liked the books and movies. For my part, though, I won't miss them at all.

As a teenager and young adult I love good fantasy as well as science fiction. But HP isn't quite the sort of stuff I liked then, much less now. Maybe it's just the juvenile tone, but I dunno.

I was really into the books, read all of them several times. Haven't even seen all the movies because I just wasn't that into them. I'll have to say indifferent, but I was upset when the final book came out.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I know people who started reading the series after that movie first aired just because they wanted to be apart of the cultural phenomina. I know others who treat it as something important enough that I should've encouraged my children to read the books.

feh... **** Harry Potter
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Forum Regular
    Sad, Harry Potter was a great ride and now it's over.

Forum Regular
    When I was 15 I was crazy about Harry Potter (and abouy Daniel Radcliffe)) but soon I grew up from that.
    ut still I can't but accept that Harry Potter sequel is a kind of masterpiece with lots of fans all around the world. But I don't like the end actually. I may seem to be quite cruel but I think that Hermiona or Ron or even Harry should have died at the end (I mean REALLY). The real end seems to be too simple.

Forum Regular
    IMHO, It is the finest long series of movies ever made. Each movie could stand on its own and the quality never waivered.

If only Star Wars could have pulled off such an impressive run. The first 3 were stellar. The next 3 were special effects movies created primarly to sell Star Wars toys. Such rubbish.

Even the Star Trek movie series was so hit or miss.

That said, it was time for Potter to end. Well done.

TR

Thread Information