• 08-17-2006, 08:04 AM
    Worf101
    Poll: Best SciFi Movie/TV Series of all Time?
    Okay, dig out your phasers, and light sablres.... let's have at it. Calling all Klingons, signalling all Stormtroopers... Let's git it on!!!

Da Worfster
  • 08-17-2006, 08:40 AM
    GMichael
    Oh man! This is a tough choice. The first Star Trek is a classic IMO. But I don't feel that it can be the "best" with all the great effects available now. STTNG was very good even though there was much less action (not counting the Borg episodes). DS9 was just OK for me. Voyager grew on me, and that 7oh9?! Well, nuff said. But still not the "best" IMHO. Battlestar Gallactica? The first was a cheap joke played on us. The new one is good but still not "the best" for me. Star wars? Maybe, good stuff here. Where's the Twilight Zone? How could you leave that off? B-5, loved it. I just bought season 1 on DVD. I already have all 5 seasons on VHS. Need to replace. How about Superman & Spidy? I really loved Firefly & Serenity. I would put them on top if there was more material. SG1 and Atlantis take up much of my viewing time these days. What about, The Day the Earth stood Still? Can't we get more than 10 options? Way too many missing? What about Flash Gordon with the Queen sound track?
    Hmm. I'll have to do more thinking and get back to you.
  • 08-17-2006, 09:21 AM
    Dusty Chalk
  • 08-17-2006, 09:39 AM
    Kam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    Okay, dig out your phasers, and light sablres.... let's have at it. Calling all Klingons, signalling all Stormtroopers... Let's git it on!!!

Da Worfster

thanks for splitting up the star wars trilogies!! if you kept them together, i'd have to vote for serenity/firefly as my favorite then, which already is just a close second to the original star wars trilogy. :)
    tough choices though....
  • 08-17-2006, 09:53 AM
    kelsci
    Hi Worfster; STTOG-great cast-one great episode-THE EMPATH
    SW 4-6: #5; Empire-first digitaly mastered stereo soundtrack on hi-fi tape; many great scenes.
    STTNG: Great casting, many good episodes; THE INNER LIGHT i thought was best episode which was rated 5th best alltime episode.
    DS9: Great casting; pretty good episodes; My choice: THE VISITOR; Tony Todd gives a performance of his career as the grownup Jake Sisko.
    STV- Good cast; no great episode in my book; Jeri Ryan as 7 of 9 was best character. Spoof on old serials with Capt. Proton, a riot.
    Battlestar Gallactica-I liked the old series better than this lame dreary thing on the air now.
    Galactica 1980; Had one great episode involving one of the original characters(Dirk Benedict) having to co-exist with a robot after he crash lands.
    Stargate SG-1 Good casting, I do no know how this series goes on for 10 years; it is LAME.
    SW1-3; 5.1 surround sound effects and visuals are the stars particulaly the Pod race.
    Babylon 5; I thougt it was a stinky series, then slowly matured into a top notch series and sorf of faded in the end. Some good characters in this series.
    Outerlimits 1963; genrally good; 2 great episodes-THE MAN WHO WAS NEVER BORN and THE BOLLERO SHIELD.
    Outerlimits 1964-I liked THE PREMINITION
    Outerlimits 1990s- Some VG episodes- Best IMHO- THE TRIBUNAL

AND NOW THE DRUMROLL FOR BEST SCI-FI SERIES OF ALL TIME.
    FLASH GORDON SERIES 1936-38-40- This series was responsible for George Lucas making Starwars which gave us Lucasfilm which gave us the importance of stereo-surround which led to the leap of home theater in sound and picture which led to Ind. Light and Magic which led to fantastic CGI ; yada, yada,yada.
  • 08-17-2006, 10:16 AM
    Kam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsci

AND NOW THE DRUMROLL FOR BEST SCI-FI SERIES OF ALL TIME.
    FLASH GORDON SERIES 1936-38-40- This series was responsible for George Lucas making Starwars which gave us Lucasfilm which gave us the importance of stereo-surround which led to the leap of home theater in sound and picture which led to Ind. Light and Magic which led to fantastic CGI ; yada, yada,yada.

don't you mean... "yoda, yoda, yoda."
    hello?! is this on?? thank you... thank you very much! tip your waiter, don't forget to try the veal. i'll be here all week! take my wife... please!
    :D
  • 08-17-2006, 10:17 AM
    kexodusc
    Hmmm, Star Trek TNG gets my vote as hands down best series - Star Wars 4-6 best movies - toss up between the 2, I guess...since there's no Buck Rogers.
    I'll say Star Trek the franchise is better than Star Wars - though I did like movies 1-3, just not as much (am I the only one that saw the same crappy Lucasisms in Ep 4-6? guess I didn't have them on as high a pedestal)
    TNG outlasted all the other series in an era where TV attention spans were fiercely contested- and it was just better than all others- though there is that certain charm the original had that keeps it in a special place in my heart. After Seasons 1-2, it would have been close, but by the time the Borg hit, Star Trek went to a level it had never been. Face it, before TNG we still weren't sure if Star Trek was "cool" to talk about - too many closet fans. After TNG, it was fair game.

It's just a cryin shame that even the good Star Trek movies are outdone by some of their respective TV episodes. I may never forgive Star Trek for "First Contact" - what the @#%$ - There's Borg in this one, no need to pull off yet another crappy time travel adventure! This is Star Trek, not Quantum f'n Leap. And those Borgs must have been interns for the 3rd Borg Reserves Brigade or something, they were pansies. Thet weren't unstoppable and scary, just more movie-fillin' bad guys. Not enough menacing threat, not enough of Picard's demons, and too much Star Trek IV. Surely a subsequent sequel couldn't get any worse :rolleyes:
    Thank Gene that Voyager used the Borg somewhat effectively...
  • 08-17-2006, 11:38 AM
    GMichael
    OK, I had to come back and cast my vote for Firefly/Serenity.
  • 08-17-2006, 11:50 AM
    JohnMichael
    I voted for Star Trek The Next Generation. Of course I would hate to admit how many times I was compared to Data due to my manner of speaking.
  • 08-17-2006, 12:31 PM
    Kam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I voted for Star Trek The Next Generation. Of course I would hate to admit how many times I was compared to Data due to my manner of speaking.

hmmmm now that you mention it... i'm trying to remember the last time you used a contraction.... interesting.....
  • 08-17-2006, 12:37 PM
    dean_martin
    I gave the nod to Star Wars 4-6 over Star Trek original mainly because those Star Wars movies were part of the times while I was growing up. I did get into the Star Trek orginal series and I still enjoy catching an episode when I can find it. I've watched a couple of the Star Trek 2.0 episodes on G4.

I have to give a sentimental honorable mention to Space: 1999. That was my series as a kid and it made that old Battlestar Gallactica look silly.
  • 08-17-2006, 01:40 PM
    JoeE SP9
    I voted for B-5 just to be different. DS-9 is the best of the Star Trek spin offs. I couldn't stand Voyager in the beginning. Capt. Janeway was such a woos in the first season. TNG just got better and better. Jon Luc as a Borg who'd a thunk it. Firefly simply doesn't belong in the same group neither does Battle Star Gallactica new one excepted. Star Wars is nothing more than WWII in the Pacific transferred to space.:ihih:
  • 08-17-2006, 03:10 PM
    Smokey
    Dam it Worf, you only allowed one vote per member :incazzato:

Was going to nominate original Star Trek for best Sci-Fi TV series, beside Star Wars movies :D
  • 08-17-2006, 03:53 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Firefly simply doesn't belong in the same group ...

I heartily disagree.
  • 08-17-2006, 08:17 PM
    Worf101
    This was a difficult one for me...
    I didn't include "The Twilight Zone" or "The Outer Limits" because there were "anthology" shows. They were just as likely to have comedy or drama as a SciFi bent. As for Flash Gordon Serials I just felt that too few had seen it to give it its due. We saw the reruns on after school T.V. but the kids don't see em any more. I voted for ST DS9. I loved the cast, thought the Dominion war added the drama that the ST omniverse lacked. People died in this show, and the good guys weren't always so good. Close second... "Firefly", I'm a very late convert, (like last month) but God I love that show. What morons at Fox...

Da Worfster
  • 08-17-2006, 09:05 PM
    likeitloud
    Star Wars 4-6. The feeling of "What The Hell Was That" feeling coming out of that
    theater has never been repeated, and never will be. Seeing that ship coming over your
    head the first time was..unreal, IMO..Later
  • 08-18-2006, 06:46 AM
    noddin0ff
    Space: 1999 ?
  • 08-18-2006, 07:14 AM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Space: 1999 ?

Here ya go, noddin -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072564/
  • 08-18-2006, 07:23 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_martin

I used to love this show. And the car he drove was the coolest.
  • 08-19-2006, 11:47 AM
    dean_martin
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    I used to love this show. And the car he drove was the coolest.

I like the eagle. I have to park mine in the field behind my house until my landing pad is complete.
  • 08-21-2006, 04:57 AM
    RGA
    Well hell I liked V: The miniseries (not the tv series) so I figure I have to throw that out into the pit since IMO it's a heckuva lot better than some on this list.

And the Daleks would exterminate those Borgs and Cylons in about 12 seconds -- exterminate exterminate EXTERMINAAAAATE!!!!!

Ok -- I like Star Wars and Empire Strikes back and then the downfall began with the toy selling Ewoks film all the way through the crapola idea of episode 1-3. What abysmal schlock. Star Wars is baseically Cowboys and Indians in space -- it's a fun romp but sci-fi it ain't. Star Trek the original series had wonderful ideas and social commentary for the day -- despite the effects I would sooner watch "Damn-it Jim I'm a doctor not a bricklayer" over and over rather than "Use the force Luke" Harrison Ford is IMO the entire reason to watch Star Wars -- with him not in them the films suck -- see episodes 1-3 and imagine Star Wars or Empire without his character.

Dr. Who had incredibly good ideas pre 1980 and a few decent ones in the new series - this time with better gloss (F/X)

My vote goes to Star Trek TNG. Even though Deep Space Nine had a lot of interesting science fiction ideas and grew on me a fair bit. Voyage also took some time and seemed to improve when 7 of 9 came onto the show (ahem how could it not?). Enterprise was a total dung heep. TNG gets my vote because without it's success the other follow-ups would not exist. TNG also kept more to the Roddenberry vision of what Star Trek really was about. 19th century idealism supplanted as the future of mankind. That is not something I can say for Enterprise or DS9.

TNG had people on the Enterprise who were generally speaking the aspirations of what man can turn out to be, with even the future highly advanced artificial life-form in Data wishing badly to be "THAT" kind of human that WE all could turn out to be. Indeed, taken a step further even GOD himself in Q (an omnipitant being) acknowleded that their God-like race still aspired to have humanistic qualities. Jean Luc Picard is the ultimate Renaissance man - a poet, musician, a leader, powerful, inteligent, controlled tempered with passion and on and on. The seven year arc of that show is about as great a leap forward as I have seen on television in terms of character development and consistantly strong, albeit not alway sciencifictionally wonderous television. TNG though at it's heart is not a shoot-em-up in space nor is it primarily science ficition focussed -- it's about the human condition.

The New Doctor Who has IMO has been aided greatly by drawing on the Roddenberry heart and when the show divereges back to the 1970's shootemups it fizzles.
  • 08-21-2006, 05:18 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I like the eagle. I have to park mine in the field behind my house until my landing pad is complete.

Don't your neighbors complain?
  • 08-21-2006, 05:30 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RGA
    Well hell I liked V: The miniseries (not the tv series) so I figure I have to throw that out into the pit since IMO it's a heckuva lot better than some on this list.

And the Daleks would exterminate those Borgs and Cylons in about 12 seconds -- exterminate exterminate EXTERMINAAAAATE!!!!!

Ok -- I like Star Wars and Empire Strikes back and then the downfall began with the toy selling Ewoks film all the way through the crapola idea of episode 1-3. What abysmal schlock. Star Wars is baseically Cowboys and Indians in space -- it's a fun romp but sci-fi it ain't. Star Trek the original series had wonderful ideas and social commentary for the day -- despite the effects I would sooner watch "Damn-it Jim I'm a doctor not a bricklayer" over and over rather than "Use the force Luke" Harrison Ford is IMO the entire reason to watch Star Wars -- with him not in them the films suck -- see episodes 1-3 and imagine Star Wars or Empire without his character.

Dr. Who had incredibly good ideas pre 1980 and a few decent ones in the new series - this time with better gloss (F/X)

My vote goes to Star Trek TNG. Even though Deep Space Nine had a lot of interesting science fiction ideas and grew on me a fair bit. Voyage also took some time and seemed to improve when 7 of 9 came onto the show (ahem how could it not?). Enterprise was a total dung heep. TNG gets my vote because without it's success the other follow-ups would not exist. TNG also kept more to the Roddenberry vision of what Star Trek really was about. 19th century idealism supplanted as the future of mankind. That is not something I can say for Enterprise or DS9.

TNG had people on the Enterprise who were generally speaking the aspirations of what man can turn out to be, with even the future highly advanced artificial life-form in Data wishing badly to be "THAT" kind of human that WE all could turn out to be. Indeed, taken a step further even GOD himself in Q (an omnipitant being) acknowleded that their God-like race still aspired to have humanistic qualities. Jean Luc Picard is the ultimate Renaissance man - a poet, musician, a leader, powerful, inteligent, controlled tempered with passion and on and on. The seven year arc of that show is about as great a leap forward as I have seen on television in terms of character development and consistantly strong, albeit not alway sciencifictionally wonderous television. TNG though at it's heart is not a shoot-em-up in space nor is it primarily science ficition focussed -- it's about the human condition.

The New Doctor Who has IMO has been aided greatly by drawing on the Roddenberry heart and when the show divereges back to the 1970's shootemups it fizzles.

Bravo RGA. Nice post. It was a hard choice for me because I love all of these shows/films. V was a cool mini-series at that. Freddie Kruger as a mild mannered alien hero? Who would have thunk it? TNG did do all of what you say. It painted a very rosy picture of mankind. Most of the others, show the same old mankind that never seems to grow up or out of their violent tendencies.
    The movie Serenity just got to me more than the others did. Loved the part where the little chickie killed all the mean bad guys. (heh heh) Even if we could all see it coming long before it happened.
  • 08-21-2006, 06:08 AM
    bobsticks
    I had to go with SW4-6, just too many great memories from my youth to be overcome by the constant reissue fiasco.
    Hey deano, thanks for the flashback with Space 1999. Hhhmmn...that show only stood a chance in a poll for "hottest alien chick"...

Cheers
  • 08-21-2006, 06:09 AM
    shokhead
    Johnny Quest.