View Poll Results: Best film Comic of the last 30 Years?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adam Sandler - Not my cup of tea but some like him.

0 0%
  • Bill Murray - Some great work. I mean reallll funny chit

4 26.67%
  • Eddie Murphy - Can be un-even at times but when "on" he's ON!

6 40.00%
  • Richard Pryor - The king is dead... LONG LIVE THE KING!!!!

1 6.67%
  • Martin Lawrence - Pheh but we got 10 spots to fill

0 0%
  • Steve Martin - Well he did do "The Jerk"

0 0%
  • Will Ferrell - A little funny at times.

0 0%
  • Ben Stiller - He can be a dead assed riot - at times.

0 0%
  • Jim Carrey - Can be funny... sometimes...

1 6.67%
  • Robin Williams - God, how long since he's been funny

3 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Whaddabuncha BS

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Sorry, I don't get the appeal of Robin Williams. I remember Joe Rogan on Howard Stern claiming that everyone knows that Williams steals his jokes. I googled "Robin Williams steals jokes" and got a ton of hits. This was one of the more interesting: http://www.kempa.com/blog/archives/000108.html

As for Williams' supposed improvisation skills, freeking out and flailing about is not improv. Without his jive talking 1970s "soul bother" persona and his San Fran queen persona he would have nothing. Trafficing in hacky one dimensional stereotypes is not impersonation. Its just stupid. Phil Hartman was an impersonator, Williams is a hack.
    There seems to be alot of bashing, but little evidence if you read that link. For some reason there are many claims of him 'stealing' yet no one can really cite to many examples with evidence, it's all hearsay.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I don't care if 100% of Robin Williams' material is plagiarized, the man is comedic genius. He shifts gears so hard, I'm surprised he hasn't blown a gasket. The single most important thing about comedy is timing, and Robin Williams has it.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    Do I see a Don Knotts fan?
    Where's your bullet?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Do I see a Don Knotts fan?
    Where's your bullet?
    i loved the knotts/conway team of movies growing up. along with the cosby show (rudy's slumber party episode and the alvin/rival episode being two of the best shows ever) what was great too in the cosby show is they had denise's husband (i forget the guy's name) actually show up in that episode where cliff wanted him to date sandra instead of alvin and then later come back as denise's husband as if that episode never happenned. classic.
    /create

I give my vote for Richard, for not for the ground breaking things, Standup/movies/TV that he did that paved the way for others, comics in general would still be restricted to the club life. Some may bring up Hope, Crosby and Burns, but they all started as singers and added comedy later to their talent. Richard was a comic from day one and he was one of the first to be a leading star in a movie, sold more records than any other comic in the last 50 years. Most of you may be a bit young to remember the time when Richard did SNL and the skit was one of the all times funnist in the shows history. Without Richard there is no Eddie, Steve, Will .......etc.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

I had to go with Robin Williams, although FA's got a strong point regarding his serious roles. Williams is a great actor, period. It was Bob Hope that said "How do you follow that?" on Carson after Williams had Johnny literally crying on his desk. That's talent folks.

Here's one of the funniest routines I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X04wZpqx3U

BTW, I'm going to Lisa Lampanelli tonight and Bill Cosby next Saturday! Good timing on this poll, Worster!!!

If you noticed the category is "FILM COMIC"

If it were just concert movies, it would be easy. Pryor then Murphy and perhaps Redd Foxx. Now, put on your thinkin' caps folks. There was a time when you eagerly awaited the next Pryor film cause you knew, despite it's flaws, that there'd be some funny chit in there. From "Silver Streak" and "Sitr Crazy". Man those were some dead funny films. But when Richard lost his comedic edge, for whatever reason, he lost his crown.

Murphy made me feel the same way for a while. But to Murphy's credit, just when you think he'll never do another funny movie as long as he lives, WHAM, he comes out with something hilarious. His carreer was OVER and woot, here comes "The Nutty Professor". He was done and buried, here comes "Bowfinger". He's a non-entity but all of a sudden, "Dr. Dolittle". That's why he gets my vote. He's survived the highs and the lows and still makes me laugh. Second place, a toss up between Pryor and Murray. I find Murray to be the funniest goof this side of my 13 year old son.

As for Robin Williams. I'm another person who just "never got him". To me he's like the Grateful Dead of comedy.. you either think it's brilliant improv at it's finest or the most hackneyed, out of tune noodling you've ever heard. There is NO in-between.

Da Worfster

Kam
    [QUOTE=recoveryone]I Most of you may be a bit young to remember the time when Richard did SNL and the skit was one of the all times funnist in the shows history. QUOTE]

".....dead honkey"

not just funny either, but hitting some very relevant and timely chords in that sketch too. (if it's the same one i'm thinking about).
    /create

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    As for Robin Williams. I'm another person who just "never got him". To me he's like the Grateful Dead of comedy.. you either think it's brilliant improv at it's finest or the most hackneyed, out of tune noodling you've ever heard. There is NO in-between.

Da Worfster
    Perfect analogy. This thread was about filmed comedies, not standup or riffing or improve. Williams is actually one of my favorite dramatic actors. Good Will Hunting really was Oscar caliber. Just as ghe Dead's American Beauty is a favorite record. When sticking to a script both can be great. As for the freeform stuff, there must be something there if so many other people do get it.

By way of comparison though, the last comedian I saw that had me laughing until it hurts was Louis C.K. on his HBO special. His bit on his 4 year old daughter being an a$$hole is hysterical. But, Louis is definately not everyone's cup of tea.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    BTW, I'm going to Lisa Lampanelli tonight and Bill Cosby next Saturday! Good timing on this poll, Worster!!!
    Lampinelli and Cosby in the same week? There's a joke in there somewhere, I'm just not clever enough to think of it.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    William's mentor Jonathan Winters was a much better standup comedian than Williams will ever be. I really love watching the older masters like Winters, Corman, Conway, etc. To this day, Corman and Conway can get me gasping for air from laughing so hard.
    You guys are seriously pushing the "of the last 30 years" criterion.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I remember that show well...

[QUOTE=Kam]
    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    I Most of you may be a bit young to remember the time when Richard did SNL and the skit was one of the all times funnist in the shows history. QUOTE]

".....dead honkey"

not just funny either, but hitting some very relevant and timely chords in that sketch too. (if it's the same one i'm thinking about).
    It was around Christmas time. In addition to the "job interview skit" with Chevy Chase.. there was the hilarious "Samurai Hotel" bit with Pryor tell Belushi to carry his own damn bags... Top all that brilliant comdey off with Gil Scott Heron performing "Johannesburg" (LIVE) and it was, IMHO, one of the finest SNL episodes ever.

Da Worfster

[QUOTE=Worf101]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam

It was around Christmas time. In addition to the "job interview skit" with Chevy Chase.. there was the hilarious "Samurai Hotel" bit with Pryor tell Belushi to carry his own damn bags... Top all that brilliant comdey off with Gil Scott Heron performing "Johannesburg" (LIVE) and it was, IMHO, one of the finest SNL episodes ever.

Da Worfster
    Agreed.

Found it. Google is a wonderful thing.

http://www.pistolwimp.com/media/37546/

Worf you missed one of Richard funnist flicks every "Which way is up" I think it was one of his first. If gives thought of how Eddie got his plan for the glumps. Richard played dual roles in that movie. Its playing this weekend on TV One if you have that on your cable lineup.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Looking at this strictly for comedic value, and for what they displayed in the movies, I would also have to go with Eddie Murphy. One of the more auspicious film debuts was Murphy's rendition of "Roxanne" in 48 Hours, while that classic redneck bar scene felt like a coming out party for budding superstar when I saw it the first time in the theater. To think, Murphy was only 21 years old at the time. Humor is obviously subjective, and I've always connected with Murphy's style.

Robin Williams easily has the most impressive overall body of work, which includes several dramatic roles. But, as far as comic performances go, his movie work is generally more nuanced than laugh out loud for me at least.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information