Thread: The Soul Train

Wink The Soul Train

My local channel start carrying this syndicated show that ended its 35 year run on TV back in 2006. The shows are from their earlier date from 70 and 80's, but it is still vey enjoyable to watch.

The show feature R&B, soul, and hip hop artists from that era performing their hits to a dancing audience. And creater Don Cornelius does an excellent job hosting the show and make sure it flow nicely.

Most of time I like watching the dancers as they groove to the beat. Especially like the part where dnacers line up on each side and one by one (or couple) take their turn dancing in the center aile. Some can dance and some try to dance, but it always so hilarious.

Charm Thai™
    I remember when I was growing up and always seeing Shalamar on Soul Train. I swear you couldn't turn the dial to Soul Train without seeing them. Other than that I never watched the show all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    Other than that I never watched the show all that much.
    When growing up I never watch that show too much either. But now looking back at show, I guess it bring back alot of memories from that era with customs and singing style from more colorfull decade of 70s and 80s. You will see alot of artists or groups performing their hit songs that can't be seen in any other shows.

Back in the 70's everything stopped in the house when Soul Train came on. Peace Love and SSSSSSOOOOUUUUUULLLLLLLLLL.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone View Post
    Back in the 70's everything stopped in the house when Soul Train came on.
    I bet it was on one of those 19 inch B&W TVs like ours. Music thru those tiny TV speaker was fine, but you really have to pipe it thru HT system to appreciate the show

LOL what memories...

LOL, Soul Train what a phenomenon. We couldn't get on American Bandstand, at least not in numbers, so we made our own as we've always done. But it was with a twist. Soul Train pre-dated Disco and as a result people danced to everything, funk, soul, RnB... everything that came along. And people could see that while Bandstand was still king, the kids on there didn't dance like they did on Soul Train. The Soul Train Line entered the American Lexicon and has stuck there. I'm not saying it was better than AB, just different.

Also, unlike AB some acts performed LIVE on ST. Tower of Power performed live on Soul Train and blew my mind. I was also pleasently surprised when Elton John came on and performed "Benny and the Jets" there... I do miss that show.

Worf

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I watched it occasionally, but I much preferred American Bandstand. In this area we also had the Steel Pier show in the summer from Atlantic City. Those were the days.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I bet it was on one of those 19 inch B&W TVs like ours. Music thru those tiny TV speaker was fine, but you really have to pipe it thru HT system to appreciate the show
    We were lucky that my Dad was at the end of his Air Force career and brought a 26" floor model Quasar TV. The only thing I saw better about AB was Dick Clark interviewing Skills and knowledge of the acts. Back then this was the only way you could see many of the acts, some became superstars after appearing on AB or Soul Train. Groups like Rufus (featuring Chaka Khan) went to the top of the charts after being on AB, she was so sexy and had it all hanging out. The Average White Band, AWB unknown to white audiences back then, again went to the top after being on AB. One of the few acts that were ground breaking on Soul Train were Joe Tex, stopping mid song to dance with one of the girls on stage. Marvin Gaye singing Brother Brother, not a dry eye in the house.

When Soul Train moved from Chicago to LA it became more polished and took away many viewers from AB. The funny part is that Soul Train was always on local broadcast channels and never had the opportunity to be on a national station feed like AB. It was more of a cult movement, word of mouth that got Soul Train in your market. there are many to this day that never seen the show, but have heard about it.
    Last edited by recoveryone; 11-29-2011 at 09:04 AM.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    Soul Train pre-dated Disco and as a result people danced to everything, funk, soul, RnB... everything that came along. And people could see that while Bandstand was still king, the kids on there didn't dance like they did on Soul Train.
    They sure didn't

I am guessing dancers on Soul Train were auditioned before production to see who "got" it. Some of them do throw down while camera is zooming in.

Thread Information