Robert Stack shooting blanks...

"Douglas Sirk steak, and a Vanilla Coke" -Pulp Fiction

For those unfamiliar with 1956's WRITTEN ON THE WIND, it's a must-see film for many reasons. This is one of Douglas Sirks finest pictures, known well for his melodramas like IMITATION OF LIFE, and ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS, but Sirk was a genius when it comes to subtext. Robert Stack, Rock Hudson, and Lauren Bacall star in this wild and crazy ride of a film. Stack and Hudson are competing for the love of Bacall, while trying to shake each other out of the game. Stack's an alchoholic richboy that happens to be sterile, while pretty boy Hudson attempts to woo her with his charm.

This is just the surface story, as with most of Sirks film, the more enchanting parts of the story are the ones that (at the time) were not allowed to be spoken. Some may also recognize the tribute to Sirk's films in director Todd Haynes brilliant 2002 film FAR FROM HEAVEN...

Another film worthy of mention in the same breath as Douglas Sirk though is that of Robert Stahl's LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN...one of the funniest melodramas you could ever see. It's not intentional funny, but seeing the film through todays eyes it's a real hoot and classy at the same time...

So, if you're in the mood for something a little off-the-wall that will make you appreciate a lost-genre...the MELODRAMA...check out these titles for sure. You would be surprised how great these films stand up over time and also demonstrate an era long-gone, but not forgotten.

Kudo PS

I know a lot about film but NOT everything. Thanks for educating me to a director who's works I was not well versed in...

Thanks P.S.

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I know a lot about film but NOT everything. Thanks for educating me to a director who's works I was not well versed in...

Thanks P.S.

Da Worfster
    No problemo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    This is just the surface story, as with most of Sirks film, the more enchanting parts of the story are the ones that (at the time) were not allowed to be spoken. Some may also recognize the tribute to Sirk's films in director Todd Haynes brilliant 2002 film FAR FROM HEAVEN...

That movie sound interesting. I see if I can find it locally.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    That movie sound interesting. I see if I can find it locally.

Thanks.
    It's exceptional!!!

Thread Information