The new NEW Doctor Who!!!!

I just caught the latest incarnation of our favorite Time Lord on BBC America in HD. I was able to watch 5 episodes on "On Demand". I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I'm amazed at the longevity of this show and how it's managed to re-invent itself over and over again. I even liked seeing the plunger weilding Daleks again!

Worf

Exterminate!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I've watched Doctor Who since I was in grade 2 and living in Wales. Obviously the show was huge in the UK and still is.

I have been watching the new Doctor Matt Smith and he has been quite good. A new writing directing team has taken over and it seems like it has successfully re-invented itself.

It's always amazing to me how successful this manages to be since very very few shows can replace the two and only lead actors with different people and continue without missing a beat. I suppose you could argue that Start Trek TNG did the same thing - kinda.

You may not know this but Doctor Who lore states there is only 13 regenerations for the doctor (13 lives).

The show I have often felt was weakest with the Daleks (with the notable Tom Baker Genesis of the Daleks being the exception) because they tend to be one dimensional baddies. They have a certain appeal of sorts but I prefer seeing them only once a season. I enjoyed Vampire's of Venice but the one after that - "Amy's Choice" might be my favorite episode this year.

If you get the chance try and download the very first 1963 episode called "An Unearthly Child" - it's quite well done and somewhat spooky. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxD0x...eature=related

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Also if you were a fan of Tom Baker - they have a number of impersonations and interviews here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q88kt_Vtyl4

Lastly I wish they would not overproduce the damn theme song - the new one has far too much crap going on. Further the score throughout the show is too noticeable and overrides the dialog. I have complained about this and many others have as well - if it is one weakness of many shows and movies is the scores need to be put in their place to be ambiance not overwhelming.

This opening music IMO is far better than the new one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdViv...eature=related or this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3iBU...eature=related
    Last edited by RGA; 05-17-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Welp....

Welp, like most 'Muricans, I discovered the good Doctor via re-runs on Public Television in the mid-80's. It was a quaint show who's FX's were so cheesey as to be endearing. My faves were the first and 4th doctors, but mostly I consider Baker to be the difiniative version of the good Doctor. Although a friend sent me this the other day and a laughed so hard I almost peed meself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

What an Icon, I guess you've made it when they parody you.

Worf

RGA
    Forum Regular
    My Favorite Doctor was Tom Baker but I grew up with him and reruns of John Pertwee (#3) and I enjoyed his James Bond like Doctor. But Baker to me was the Doctor. I enjoy the latest trio.

Many were hoping for Rowan Atkinson to be one of the new Doctors - despite the spoof he actually seems not bad. It's really open to different takes.

Spielberg was toying with making a Doctor Who film some years back.

I liked the first new Dr. of the new show, he had a darker side to him. Too bad his run was so short.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP