Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Any recommendations for Christmas Eve?

It's a Christmas tradition that Me, my Hubby and my Mom go to an early movie on Christmas Eve and then back to one of our houses for dinner. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what we should see this year?

Hows about King Kong?

I second the King Kong idea. Haven't seen it yet but hear mostly good things. Just a little slow in the begining from what I read.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I second the King Kong idea. Haven't seen it yet but hear mostly good things. Just a little slow in the begining from what I read.
    Yeah...see...the thing is...I have a couple of phobias. Monkeys and Spiders. So the giant ape thing just really doesn't appeal to me. Especially since I've heard that there are also some scenes that would be pretty disturbing to an arachnophobe.

What else ya got for me? Anyone seen Narnia yet? I like lions.

Note: I just checked Dictionary.com for the correct spelling of arachnophobe. They define it as an abnormal fear of spiders. Does that mean that there's a normal fear of spiders????

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Yeah...see...the thing is...I have a couple of phobias. Monkeys and Spiders. So the giant ape thing just really doesn't appeal to me. Especially since I've heard that there are also some scenes that would be pretty disturbing to an arachnophobe.

Note: I just checked Dictionary.com for the correct spelling of arachnophobe. They define it as an abnormal fear of spiders. Does that mean that there's a normal fear of spiders????
    ooo, I forgot all about Narnia. I haven't seen that one yet, but I wanna. Perhaps I'll take my kid this weekend.

Side Note: I purchased my home about 9 months ago only to find out that my property was infested with Black Widows. No fun at all. I tried to control the problem myself but finally gave up and called in an exterminator.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Side Note: I purchased my home about 9 months ago only to find out that my property was infested with Black Widows. No fun at all. I tried to control the problem myself but finally gave up and called in an exterminator.
    YIKES! I would've just resold the house and found somewhere else to live.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    normal: fearing 9 foot tall spiders
    abnormal: fearing that 9 foot tall spiders exist

Have you tried closing your eyes durring these parts?

Haven't seen it either, but lions are cool.

Normal: A spider on your arm makes you go, "eiwa, get it off, get it off!"
    abi-normal: A spider 30 feet away make you screem and run out of the room yelling, save me save me! I can't breath."
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Kam

Narnia

Highly reccomend Narnia. I thought it was a really fun movie, good acting, good action sequences, nicely done overall. Stayed pretty much true to the book with a few minor changes. Everything done REALLY well and surprised me actually how much i enjoyed it. Of course.... it was really weird at the end, when Aslan starts whispering 4... 8... 15... 16...
    /create

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    Highly reccomend Narnia. I thought it was a really fun movie, good acting, good action sequences, nicely done overall. Stayed pretty much true to the book with a few minor changes. Everything done REALLY well and surprised me actually how much i enjoyed it. Of course.... it was really weird at the end, when Aslan starts whispering 4... 8... 15... 16...
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried closing your eyes durring these parts?
    Yeah, that'll work. Go to see King Kong and just close my eyes when the monkey is on the screen.

There's been scene's in the last two Harry Potter movies where I've had to close my eyes. My husband is very good at letting me know when it's "safe" again. He hasn't even lied to me, to get me to open my eyes early...yet.

Normal: A spider on your arm makes you go, "eiwa, get it off, get it off!"
    abi-normal: A spider 30 feet away make you screem and run out of the room yelling, save me save me! I can't breath."
    OK, I'm definately in the abnormal school then. And I do wonder where those 9 foot spiders are hiding.

Has anyone heard anything about the new Spielberg movie, Munich?

Speaking of Spielberg...I caught the last half hour of ET on TV the other night. I haven't seen that movie since it came out and I barely remember a thing about the story. Anyway, even though I tuned in towards the end of the movie, I still cried. That's the sign of a great film maker.

Kam
    Has anyone heard anything about the new Spielberg movie, Munich?

Speaking of Spielberg...I caught the last half hour of ET on TV the other night. I haven't seen that movie since it came out and I barely remember a thing about the story. Anyway, even though I tuned in towards the end of the movie, I still cried. That's the sign of a great film maker.
    am hopefully going to see it this weekend will put up a review after. have heard really good things about it already though and cant wait, he's defn one of my favorite filmmakers ever. he's gotten into a pattern it seems with the summer blockbuster/ thoughtful drama double release in the same year for a while now, with the odd year off to do a big movie by itself (ala SPR).

Jurassic Park/ Schindler's List
    Lost World/ Amistad
    Minority Report/ Catch Me If You Can
    War of the Worlds/ Munich
    and... fingers crossed hopefully hopefully knock on wood
    2007 IJ4 / Abraham Lincoln Story
    /create

Yeah, that'll work. Go to see King Kong and just close my eyes when the monkey is on the screen. .
    And the problem would be?

There's been scene's in the last two Harry Potter movies where I've had to close my eyes. My husband is very good at letting me know when it's "safe" again. He hasn't even lied to me, to get me to open my eyes early...yet..
    What a guy.

OK, I'm definately in the abnormal school then. And I do wonder where those 9 foot spiders are hiding..
    They are behind you right now. NO, DON'T TURN AROUND! That's when they attack!

My wife cried at the end of Frosty the snowman.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    My family and I really enjoy ELF. It is a pretty cute movie, and no one could have played a better "human" elf than Will Ferrel. It is just good clean holiday fun. Kids enjoy it also, much better than "Christmas Story"

Enjoy the Holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    My family and I really enjoy ELF. It is a pretty cute movie, and no one could have played a better "human" elf than Will Ferrel. It is just good clean holiday fun. Kids enjoy it also, much better than "Christmas Story"

Enjoy the Holidays!
    Elf better than Christmas Story...... NO WAY NO HOW, unless you are under 30 For all of us 40+ people Christmas Story is a instan classic it has all the dreams and hopes of when we were young. I still remember listening to the radio shows before color T.V. and T.V. only had maybe 3 or 4 channels.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    Elf better than Christmas Story...... NO WAY NO HOW, unless you are under 30 For all of us 40+ people Christmas Story is a instan classic it has all the dreams and hopes of when we were young. I still remember listening to the radio shows before color T.V. and T.V. only had maybe 3 or 4 channels.
    One of the cable stations that we get from the U.S. (TBS in Atlanta) runs A Christmas Story for 24 hours straight. They did it last year and are doing it again this year. They start at 6:00pm Christmas Eve and play it until 6:00pm Christmas Day. Last year we watched it three times in 24 hours.

I do enjoy Elf quite a bit also, but I agree that it doesn't have that same charm that A Christmas Story has (and although I remember having a black and white TV, we had 11 channels).

Forum Regular

Narnia was great

Chronicles on Narnia was really well made imo, acting, sfx....i really enjoyed it, it didn't deviate from the book in any overly noticable ways, its a movie that adults and children can both enjoy.

King Kong was just amazing too, but if you suffer from a phobia of "creepy-crawlies" and monkeys.... than it probably isn't the movie for you.

It looks like Capote is on the bill for tonight.

Thread Information