Movie Theater Magic.....

Printable View

• 03-27-2006, 10:30 AM
    L.J.
    Movie Theater Magic.....
    What happened to it?

I remember when I was a kid, going to the movies was this amazing thing. The big screen, the sound, the popcorn, the people enjoying themselves and clapping at the end of the movie, DOUBLE features. It was a very enjoyable experience and this is why I love HT. Seems like that movie theater magic is fading away.

Does anyone else feel this way? I'd like to hear what you guys think, and why?
  • 03-27-2006, 10:59 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by L.J.
    What happened to it?

I remember when I was a kid, going to the movies was this amazing thing. The big screen, the sound, the popcorn, the people enjoying themselves and clapping at the end of the movie, DOUBLE features. It was a very enjoyable experience and this is why I love HT. Seems like that movie theater magic is fading away.

This is just life. When you're a kid, everything seems bigger and more exciting. As you get older, movies have to outperform their precedents to entertain. A much tougher task.

The last year or 2 has been rather uninspiring though. We were spoiled the few years before that, I think.

I'm guessing Double features are out because nobody can afford $480 to take their family to see 2 movies.
  • 03-27-2006, 11:30 AM
    GMichael
    HA... I still remember drive ins. We used to go every weekend. It was the thing to do. Even when they went the way of the Doodoo we still went to the walk in over at the mall. We'd stop at the arcade next door to kill time till our show was up. Then after the show we had to hit the pizza place across the hall. Didn't have, or need, suround sound back then. H.ll, ever hear a movie through one of those drive in speakers. We'd have to try 3 or 4 spots before we'd find one that worked right.
    But it was a night out. It was fun to see everyone and just have a good time.
    That stuff is gone. Now people do other things to get together. The gym jumps to mind. Even bars and dance clubs are on the way out. Kids meet at the indoor ice skating rink. Go to the malls (teenagers must have their parents with them now though).
  • 03-27-2006, 11:48 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    This is just life. When you're a kid, everything seems bigger and more exciting. As you get older, movies have to outperform their precedents to entertain. A much tougher task.

The last year or 2 has been rather uninspiring though. We were spoiled the few years before that, I think.

I'm guessing Double features are out because nobody can afford $480 to take their family to see 2 movies.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Also the fact that I'd rather stay at home and just watch on my own system, which I think sounds just as good. I can't tell how many times I've said, "I'll just wait for that to come out on DVD".

Be nice to at least get a mini film or two, when waiting, instead of all those dang ads.

$480 bucks.....man you gotta start using your pockets. I usually come strapped with food and liquor. It's just tradition I guess.
  • 03-27-2006, 11:52 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    HA... I still remember drive ins. We used to go every weekend. It was the thing to do. Even when they went the way of the Doodoo we still went to the walk in over at the mall. We'd stop at the arcade next door to kill time till our show was up. Then after the show we had to hit the pizza place across the hall. Didn't have, or need, suround sound back then. H.ll, ever hear a movie through one of those drive in speakers. We'd have to try 3 or 4 spots before we'd find one that worked right.
    But it was a night out. It was fun to see everyone and just have a good time.
    That stuff is gone. Now people do other things to get together. The gym jumps to mind. Even bars and dance clubs are on the way out. Kids meet at the indoor ice skating rink. Go to the malls (teenagers must have their parents with them now though).

Now that's funny. I remember those dang boxes. The last few times I went to the drive in, you were able to tune in on your radio. Ah, the good ol days....
  • 03-27-2006, 12:04 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

What happened to it?

LJ,
    That magic left when the bean counters took over operations of theatrical chains. After that, cost cutting became more of the priority, and great theatrical exibition has taken a back seat. Gone are the curtains that open in the preshow (replaced by featureless stages), gone is the ornate carving and sculptures (replaced by low maintainence fabric covored sound panels), gone are the unique architectural features replaced by neon signs, gone is the preshow organ solos to be replaced by a slideshow, and gone is the fancy, unique, ornate architecture of the movie palace of yesteryear to be replaced by simple boxes who's designed is repeated over and over by a chain to save costs.

Not only is the magic of the preshow gone, but now they are cutting corners on the maintainence of the exibition equipment itself.

Movie theaters are in a sad state right now. Until they find something that cannot be replicated in the home, they will continue to lose audience share to the hometheater. These days they can build a hometheater that recreates the movie magic of yester year.
  • 03-27-2006, 12:04 PM
    Kam
    Quote:

What happened to it?

your avatar and signature pretty much captured the same sentiment in the Lazy Sunday compilation. combination of many things leading to the attrition of quality "fun." i havent read a paper in forever, but growing up, i remember the good 'ol three panel cartoons in the newspaper and then the big spread on sunday when something actually moved the plot along... now.. is that even there anymore? do they have serial comics in the newspapers anymore or are they all self contained?

i talked about this with wooch on an earlier thread and to add to what i said earlier...i think the moviegoing experience has been dulled by the us, the people, ourselves. it's a supply/demand market, as much as the movie industry might try and tell you what to watch, you have to be complacent in that "telling" for it to work. you dont want to see crap movies... stop giving money to them. you want to see better movies, dont watch the crap at ALL. go to the theaters and support the "better" movies with your dollars. ("you" being the generic you, not "you" as in LJ) if every theater patron complained every time to every theater manager about commercials, and told them this was the last movie i am watching here until the commercials are either removed entirely, or cut down significantly (in proportion to movie ticket prices going up... they better be removed entirely) and then never came back to that theater again.... how fast do you think that policy would change if wholesale audiences really stopped going to the movies? but it wont happen. i've only done it twice myself, and even then, i've gone back to those theaters, so am just as guilty in continuing the negative trends.
    and then the people at the movies themselves... kids arent going to movies nowadays as an "escape" to enjoy, they're there to socialize with their classmates and do txt each other and call each other and pretty much anything but watch the movie on the screen from everything i've seen at the theaters (i think wooch brought this up in my other theater rant). and not just kids, can add adults to that category too, txting and emailing on their blackberry's.

but it really seems like its come down to a lack of respect of the medium and the content. audiences no longer respect movies as art, and if the audience doesnt respect the content, how much effort do you think the studio's are going to put in to that same content? when you grow up in an environment when people are honored, revered and respected for being artists, and called geniuses because of their art (lean, hitchcock, ford, welles, wilder, leone, kubrick)... makes a huge difference versus now, when everyone is being exposed to people who are celebrities simply because they are celebrities. (why is paris hilton "famous" again? why should anyone know her name over Amy Adams? how many people just asked themselves, "who's amy adams?") And, imo (worth less than the 2 cents you wouldnt want to pay for it) is that is one reason why movies have been suffering. the "cult of celebrity" has been a downfall for cinema.

ok, kamrant done, thanks LJ for opening the door for me to rant again. :D
  • 03-27-2006, 12:41 PM
    L.J.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    LJ,
    That magic left when the bean counters took over operations of theatrical chains. After that, cost cutting became more of the priority, and great theatrical exibition has taken a back seat. Gone are the curtains that open in the preshow (replaced by featureless stages), gone is the ornate carving and sculptures (replaced by low maintainence fabric covored sound panels), gone are the unique architectural features replaced by neon signs, gone is the preshow organ solos to be replaced by a slideshow, and gone is the fancy, unique, ornate architecture of the movie palace of yesteryear to be replaced by simple boxes who's designed is repeated over and over by a chain to save costs.

Not only is the magic of the preshow gone, but now they are cutting corners on the maintainence of the exibition equipment itself.

Movie theaters are in a sad state right now. Until they find something that cannot be replicated in the home, they will continue to lose audience share to the hometheater. These days they can build a hometheater that recreates the movie magic of yester year.

That reminds me of the Grand Lake Theater in Oakland. I've been there a few times as a child. I can't remember the inside, but what was so cool is how it lite up the whole block. When you pass by it, even from the freeway, you couldn't help but be impressed.
  • 03-27-2006, 12:48 PM
    paul_pci
    I was thinking about starting a thread about this because of the shameless pleas during the oscars and yesterday the LA Times ran a ridiculously quixotic take on the so-called "magic" of the movie theater experience. I'm sorry, there's nothing magical about paying $10 to be shamelessly advertised to, then to sit through a total junk movie all the while some jackass is talking on his cellphone. Not to mention the theaters I've been to that have obvious and distracting screen tears or other defects. Currently, magic is being able to sift through all the cinematic ersatz to find that gem of a movie at the video store.
  • 03-27-2006, 02:31 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

That reminds me of the Grand Lake Theater in Oakland. I've been there a few times as a child. I can't remember the inside, but what was so cool is how it lite up the whole block. When you pass by it, even from the freeway, you couldn't help but be impressed.

That beautiful baby is still sitting there lighting up the whole block with its wonderful sign. I actually tuned that theaters sound system for the premiere of Jurassic Park. They still provide the most entertaining preshow with the organ playing on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. The are also known for their excellent care of the film. They don't make them like this anymore. I used to live 250 steps from that theater before I moved to Albany. Now the only time I see it is when I go to my old apartment where my hometheater is to do reviews, listen to music, and have some privacy. It is still a beautiful theater even though it has been twinned, with the balcony sealed to provide a wall for the upstairs theater. This has created some acoustical issues with reflections bouncing off the wall, and heading back toward the screen.

I went to a theater a couple of times that I cannot remember where. The had one of the most entertaining and well done preshows. The organ played, there was a water and light show at the front of the theater. When the curtain opened up to signal the start of the movie, a slab of carpeted wood would slide over the water pit (to prevent reflections) and the lights would dim. It was so cool I wish I could be recreated in more old movie palaces. I imagine that upkeep cost could be rather high, but this is the kind of showmanship that is missing in today's milleplex boxes they build now.
  • 03-27-2006, 10:34 PM
    KaiWinters
    There are still several operating "drive ins" in the area I live. They do quite well.
    I remember spending a dollar or so for a saturday matinee double feature and popcorn. One of the first movies I saw "alone"...finally old enough to go with my friends and no parents...maybe 1965 ish...was the "Oblong Box", scared the pants off of me and I can still remember bits of the movie to this day.

I do not like going to the movies these days because too many people have no respect for those around them...talking on cell phones, talking during the movie, etc. Not worth going if I am going to be aggravated by them and management, in general, do not have the balls to do anything about it.
  • 03-28-2006, 01:40 AM
    Defshep
    There seems to be a trend in historic theater restoration in my area (central Georgia) lately. I had a large, stand alone one cinema theater in my town growing up, and seeing Raiders, Superman, etc there was truly a magical experience. Although stadium seating is cool, the filthy conditions and general rudeness of the other patrons (and employees) make it not worth spending half a paycheck for a family night out. At least when my wife talks during the movie at home, I have a pause button! If only it worked on her...
  • 03-28-2006, 05:57 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Defshep
    There seems to be a trend in historic theater restoration in my area (central Georgia) lately. I had a large, stand alone one cinema theater in my town growing up, and seeing Raiders, Superman, etc there was truly a magical experience. Although stadium seating is cool, the filthy conditions and general rudeness of the other patrons (and employees) make it not worth spending half a paycheck for a family night out. At least when my wife talks during the movie at home, I have a pause button! If only it worked on her...

Pause or mute?
  • 03-28-2006, 07:10 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam
    your avatar and signature pretty much captured the same sentiment in the Lazy Sunday compilation. combination of many things leading to the attrition of quality "fun." i havent read a paper in forever, but growing up, i remember the good 'ol three panel cartoons in the newspaper and then the big spread on sunday when something actually moved the plot along... now.. is that even there anymore? do they have serial comics in the newspapers anymore or are they all self contained?

Yes, I always was a three panel guy. Going straight to the good stuff. Haven't read the comics in years myself, but I doubt anything has changed. I do get a couple sent to my homepage each day. Gotta start the day off with a smile :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam
    i talked about this with wooch on an earlier thread and to add to what i said earlier...i think the moviegoing experience has been dulled by the us, the people, ourselves. it's a supply/demand market, as much as the movie industry might try and tell you what to watch, you have to be complacent in that "telling" for it to work. you dont want to see crap movies... stop giving money to them. you want to see better movies, dont watch the crap at ALL. go to the theaters and support the "better" movies with your dollars. ("you" being the generic you, not "you" as in LJ) if every theater patron complained every time to every theater manager about commercials, and told them this was the last movie i am watching here until the commercials are either removed entirely, or cut down significantly (in proportion to movie ticket prices going up... they better be removed entirely) and then never came back to that theater again.... how fast do you think that policy would change if wholesale audiences really stopped going to the movies? but it wont happen. i've only done it twice myself, and even then, i've gone back to those theaters, so am just as guilty in continuing the negative trends.
    and then the people at the movies themselves... kids arent going to movies nowadays as an "escape" to enjoy, they're there to socialize with their classmates and do txt each other and call each other and pretty much anything but watch the movie on the screen from everything i've seen at the theaters (i think wooch brought this up in my other theater rant). and not just kids, can add adults to that category too, txting and emailing on their blackberry's.

I go to the theater on the other side of town, because the one a few miles from my house has become the local teenage kick it spot. Going to the movies over there is a nightmare. Your best bet is to go to the earliest show before all the youngins come out. I took my kid there to see Spider-man 2 and it was horrible. All the dang talking and clowning around made it very unenjoyable. Your right, people should walk out and tell the manager the hell with this. But like you said, you'll end up coming back eventually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam
    but it really seems like its come down to a lack of respect of the medium and the content. audiences no longer respect movies as art, and if the audience doesnt respect the content, how much effort do you think the studio's are going to put in to that same content? when you grow up in an environment when people are honored, revered and respected for being artists, and called geniuses because of their art (lean, hitchcock, ford, welles, wilder, leone, kubrick)... makes a huge difference versus now, when everyone is being exposed to people who are celebrities simply because they are celebrities. (why is paris hilton "famous" again? why should anyone know her name over Amy Adams? how many people just asked themselves, "who's amy adams?") And, imo (worth less than the 2 cents you wouldnt want to pay for it) is that is one reason why movies have been suffering. the "cult of celebrity" has been a downfall for cinema.

Amy Adams? Who?.......I know, I'm sad. What's worse is Paris Hilton was a more recognizable name?
  • 03-28-2006, 07:11 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

Pause or mute?

I'd definitely take pause.
  • 03-28-2006, 03:25 PM
    Defshep
    Quote:

Pause or mute?

Depends on the day! And possibly what I came home with from Best Buy...
  • 03-29-2006, 07:52 AM
    SlumpBuster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Currently, magic is being able to sift through all the cinematic ersatz to find that gem of a movie at the video store.

One of my favorite things is renting a movie that you don't expect much from and then finding that it was really much better than you thought it would be. The video store sleeper.

I think the industry is suffering from a bit of self delusion. Kam suggests there is a a lack of respect for the medium. I say it may be a well deserved lack of respect. This is the same industry that made 4 maybe 5 "Ernest goes to..." movies, repeatedly goes to the well of sequels and television retreads, puts Paris Hilton in vapid vehicles yet spazzes out out when Chloe Sevingy slops Vincent Gallo's knob in "Brown Bunny." Jessica Simpson can hump a car to sell me Dukes of Hazzard, but God forbid Diane Keaton or Kathy Bates do nude scenes in Somethings Got to Give and About Schmidt.

David Edelstien wrote a great article on Slate about this contradiction: http://www.slate.com/id/2136723/

Also, I think there is a bit of fumbling with the technology. Remember those commercials for broadband that talked about having every movie ever made at your finger tips? What ever happened to that pipedream? Now, you go to Blockbuster and every new movie is out. Sign up for Netflix and all the new movies are unavailable or take weeks to finally make it to your house. My wife and I always goof that we're going to make a million on two ideas: 1. The movie kiosk/vending machine. Type in the movie you want, it is burned onto a DVD and spit out with a nice cardboard cover. 2. Pizza and a movie delivered to your house. Pretty self explanatory.
    Now I hear that Wal-mart is testing the movie kiosk idea. Dammit, I feel like Kramer when his Ocean fragrance was stolen by Calvin Klien.