Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Anybody here see a movie called Shocking Asia?
    I did. Wish I didn't.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Heard of it, never saw it. I hear that much it is contrived, anyway. Still, not for the squeamish....

Speaking of: How about Dawn of the Dead?

Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    Another contender in this category was the first of a stream of films labeled, "shockumentaries:" "Mondo Cane."

Mondo Cane, when released in 1962, startled audiences with its claim that everything in the film was real, and that it was "the duty of the chronicler not to sweeten the truth, but to report it objectively." With that opening, a series of odd, bizarre and often disgusting events from all around the world were pieced together, often cleverly juxtoposed with one another, and all to a "brilliant musical score," according to the New York Times film critic at the time.

Just one problem: most of everything was faked, or staged. While audiences in the early 60's bought the film's premise hook, line and sinker (myself included), it didn't take long for the truth to come out afterwards, especially in the sequel, "Mondo Pazzo," as it was called in the U.S. (Elsewhere, it was called, "Mondo Cane 2."), in which the film purports to show the immolation of a Buddhist monk in Saigon.

"Mondo Cane" is of interest today only in seeing what it was that all the fuss was all about at the time, but to today's far more discerning audiences, most of it is patently false, and looks it too.
    Man you read my effin' mind. I was just thinking about this when I checked back on this thread and BOOM, you'd already mentioned this flick. Back in 62 people were talking about this flick like it was the second coming. Amazing it was all faked.

"Mondo Cane is COMING!!!1'

LOL...

Da Worfster

Geeze, how redundundundant I am......

Troy's the dude

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Here we go again. Feanor takes a thread about MOVIES and turns it into more Republican bashing.

And then...

How odd... If Troy's list was veering away from the OP's original intention, well then you certainly did nothing to get things back on track, right?
    I'm all for political controversy.

"Political controversy"....

And I thought I was re-re-re-red....Aw, shoot....

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Amazing it was all faked.
    Not all, just an awful lot, especially the most talked about section involving the sea turtle supposedly losing all sense of direction (again, because of nuclear bomb tests on Bikini Island) and then heading inland to her death instead of back to sea after depositing her eggs. In one scene, you can actually see the turtle heading to sea, as the narrator states she's heading elsewhere. Also, all of the "breathing and panting" the turtle makes is added onto the soundtrack. Turtles don't breathe and pant loudly, and it's obvious the sounds are added in. Lastly, how did the turtle manage to turn herself upside down before she "dies?"

nightflier
    Did miss something? How did we get to a panting turtle in this thread?

Anyhow, here's a few more to add to the list, in no particular order:

- Boxing Helena
    - The Story of O
    - The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover
    - Kids
    - Powder
    - Emmanuelle
    - Basic Instinct
    - Blue Velvet
    - American Beauty
    - Crash (the early 90's version)
    - American History X
    - The Last Temptation Of Christ

Thanks Nightflier for that list.

I have heard of Kids where they do alot of crazy stuff together. Usually can not watching the type of movies since at such young age, judging right from wrong is bit cloudy. I know I did a lot of crazy stuff when was younger that would not dare to do now as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    More for you all to chew upon:

The Faces of Death series.
    That must be one of worst gruesome video I have ever seen back in the 80's. It made me sick to my stomach, especially the monkey scene. Animal right group probably would have field day if such a video would be made today. But they say alot of human death scene were fake. Don’t think I want to watch it to find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Interesting list, but at least a couple veer way from the sort of controversy that pertains to earlier citations by our members. Of course I'm talking about political controversy, viz. Triumph of the Will and Fahrenheit 9/11.
    Hey look, I'm being controversial in a thread about controversial movies!

I looked at the OP and there is no mention that the controversy couldn't be political. It seems like an angle that no one posting simply thought about yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Is it just me? I don't actually see anything controversial about Triumph of the Will. It is what it is: a pure propaganda film that was, at the time for Germans, a rather successful attempt at putting glamorous face on a sordid political movement. From the perspective of a foreign country, Republican political advertising invokes an oddly similar assessment from me.
    Yes, today Triumph of the Will looks eerily like an Abercrombie and Fitch ad. Everybody is so beautiful, robust and healthy looking. We've sort of become indoctrinated into seeing that cultural look in an idealistic light. Funny how that worked out, huh? Controversial as hell in it's day, but today? Not so much.

And so much of this other film controversy is subject to it's times as well: Is the Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby or Deliverance really THAT controversial or offensive in 2008?

However, Faces of Death will always be controversial. So much of it was fake, but I'll never forget the tourist in Yellowstone getting eaten by a bear. It's burned onto my cortex.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Of all the movies mentioned so far, Fight Club has to be the most baffling to me - I know it certainly was controversial at the time, I just can't fathom why people got their panties in a bunch over it...especially in 1999? Great movie...whiny public.

Mel Gibson directed movies...they (or he?) always seem to piss people off.

I recall Body of Evidence and and Truth or Dare causing a bit of a stir...zzzzzzzzzz.

Another obvious one - Saving Private Ryan - a lot of WWII vets had a hard time with this one, and just as many applauded it.

South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut...First time I ever saw pissed off moms drag their kids kicking and screaming out of a theater for having been duped into seeing it, I presume...the movie started well enough with a song about the little mountain town, but by the time they were singing about Uncle F&%$ers the theater emptied. I never laughed so hard.

Mwa ha ha ha ha...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut...First time I ever saw pissed off moms drag their kids kicking and screaming out of a theater for having been duped into seeing it, I presume...the movie started well enough with a song about the little mountain town, but by the time they were singing about Uncle F&%$ers the theater emptied. I never laughed so hard.
    Why does this NOT suprise me? LOL, I can't help but love those subversive bastages.

Da Worfster

nightflier
    Here's a couple more to chew on:

- Hellraiser series - If this isn't hell, then I don't know what is
    - The Saw series - Has anyone seen the DVD cover of Saw V?
    - Borat - "My sister is the best prostitute..." and other such lines
    - Seven - Shockingly suspenseful
    - Hostel - Gratuitous unrelenting fake torture scenes
    - Lolita - 20 years after the first one, Jeremy Irons proves equally creepy

For political ones, here's a few:

- Syriana - The fingernail scene wasn't the problem, the reality of the story was
    - Bowling for Columbine - Moore walks out of a bank wielding a gun he got for opening an account, etc.
    - A Dry White Season - One of the first widely seen movies criticizing Apartheid
    - Full Metal Jacket - Apparently it was too real for some
    - Rendition - Not well done, but disturbing (for a major Hollywood production)
    - An Inconvenient Truth - Still people out there who think this is bunk
    - The Profit - This one angered the Scientologists
    - Scandal - Got the Brits all riled up, apparently
    - Taxi to the Dark Side - Like Rendition, ticked off conservatives

How 'bout Black Like Me? Released in 1964, starring James Whitmore, it was based on a 1961 book of the same name. Described the misadventures of the author, a White named John Griffith, who disguised himself as a Black and journeyed through various southern states where he got a good dose of the racism, etc. that made the region such a fertile ground for the Civil Rights Movement. It is a true account, and people were so outraged by the work, that the author was burned in effigy.

And now, presenting Obama....How far we've come!

And how much further we have to go....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    How 'bout Black Like Me? Released in 1964, starring James Whitmore, it was based on a 1961 book of the same name. Described the misadventures of the author, a White named John Griffith, who disguised himself as a Black and journeyed through various southern states where he got a good dose of the racism, etc. that made the region such a fertile ground for the Civil Rights Movement. It is a true account, and people were so outraged by the work, that the author was burned in effigy.

And now, presenting Obama....How far we've come!

And how much further we have to go....
    Good one...but it seems I have to spread some reputation around before I can give it to you again.

Forum Regular
    I will chime in seeing a number of films that have been mentioned.
    A clockwork orange = me listening to B's 9th:-)
    Jimmy B

One more...

"Damage" - Wow... man just wow.

Da Worfster

That's a heavy one, there, Worfster....I recall your accord in the assessment of A. Perkins' and M. McDowell's entry into the pantheon of actors who take up certain roles (stuff for another forum, hm?). J. Irons should find himself near the top of the list....

Not really related, well sort of but not terribly much, just a little bit, kind of, you know mebbe it is, mebbe it isn't, yeah it's related in a way....Major voiceover talent died recently. Movies just won't be the same widdout 'im...(sniffle). Well they will, but not much, just a little...:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ml#cnnSTCVideo

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Here's a couple more to chew on:

- Borat - "My sister is the best prostitute..." and other such lines
    I'm sorry, you are going to have to remove that movie from your list. If nothing else, when Borat asks why the dinner host has called the sheriff, he wonders aloud "Why, has the retard run away?".

If you didn't laugh at that part, you don't get funny.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information