Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Night at the Museum -- Great DVD Sound!

We watched the DVD of this movie on Sunday night. An entertaining little film. But what really got me was the sound quality of this disk.

We have a nice little surround sound system that we custom built from speakers of our choosing (not out of a box). The speakers were chosen more for listening to music than for movies, as we listen to CDs and watch concert DVDs more than we watch actual movies. Most movies are quite enjoyable on this system, but I've never been blown away by one...until now.

The soundtrack for this movie was outstanding in 5.1. Our back speakers are not as good quality as our front speakers and are set pretty low, since we're usually just hearing crowd noises out of them. But those back speakers came alive on Sunday. Whoever mixed the sound for this movie did a great job. I can't imagine that this would have sounded any better in a real theatre.

A fun movie to watch, an even more fun movie to listen to...I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    We watched the DVD of this movie on Sunday night. An entertaining little film. But what really got me was the sound quality of this disk.

We have a nice little surround sound system that we custom built from speakers of our choosing (not out of a box). The speakers were chosen more for listening to music than for movies, as we listen to CDs and watch concert DVDs more than we watch actual movies. Most movies are quite enjoyable on this system, but I've never been blown away by one...until now.

The soundtrack for this movie was outstanding in 5.1. Our back speakers are not as good quality as our front speakers and are set pretty low, since we're usually just hearing crowd noises out of them. But those back speakers came alive on Sunday. Whoever mixed the sound for this movie did a great job. I can't imagine that this would have sounded any better in a real theatre.

A fun movie to watch, an even more fun movie to listen to...I highly recommend it.
    It sounds to me like it's an engaging sound design, perhaps more than just the quality necessarily. If this is the first time you have noticed it, it probably has more to do with just the design of the sound and the film, which is often never very clever, but there are few films that manage to get it right. I will have to check this out. The last DVD that I can think of that had imaginative, creative, and excellent execution of the design on DVD is FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX. Although the HD-DVD of BATMAN BEGINS is also impressive, but that's not fair since it's not a regular DVD.

Glad you like it Autumn, I was surprised myself at the film, mainly because I'm not a big Stiller fan (main reason I didn't see it when it came out last Xmas). And the role Robin Williams played was just right for him (limited use). for the sound mix, it was a very good mix and needed to pull off the feel of a large museum. It will have you feeling like you need to turn your head to see what is coming up behind you or to the left and right. Movies mixes like that really gives you the appreciation of a well put together HT system. And notice I said well put together and not highend. There are so many factors that make a so so HT via great HT, and most has nothing to do with name brand.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Kam
    i saw this in the theater, only because it was showing on the imax screen. so the sound was pretty phenomenal. it was a fun movie and pretty entertaining. might have to rent it to check it again!
    /create

Thread Information