Talking Lord of the Rings Marathon

Well, we finally did it after talking about it for about a year now. A couple friends came over last Sat. and we started watching Lord of the Rings Extended Versions at about 4:00 p.m. and went until we finished them all (approx. 5:00 a.m.). My wife was out of town and my daughter stayed at her friends, so we cranked it up. We watched it in DTS-ES and it sounded awesome. It started to become painful keeping the eyes open at about 3:00 a.m. but we had to endure. The worst thing was that I had to pick up my daughter at 7:30 in the morning. The food and friends were great- it's just too bad it took me 3 days to recover!
    Side note...if you ever decide to do this, I recommend you don't get the "Great American Feast" from famous Dave's. All of that barbeque food and beans made it tough to make it in an enclosed area with a group of guys
    Next marathon- Karate Kid! Just kidding.
    Have a great weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by hmmmm
    Well, we finally did it after talking about it for about a year now. A couple friends came over last Sat. and we started watching Lord of the Rings Extended Versions at about 4:00 p.m. and went until we finished them all (approx. 5:00 a.m.). My wife was out of town and my daughter stayed at her friends, so we cranked it up. We watched it in DTS-ES and it sounded awesome. It started to become painful keeping the eyes open at about 3:00 a.m. but we had to endure. The worst thing was that I had to pick up my daughter at 7:30 in the morning. The food and friends were great- it's just too bad it took me 3 days to recover!
    Side note...if you ever decide to do this, I recommend you don't get the "Great American Feast" from famous Dave's. All of that barbeque food and beans made it tough to make it in an enclosed area with a group of guys
    Next marathon- Karate Kid! Just kidding.
    Have a great weekend.
    I had planned on doing such a party about a year ago myself. It just never happened. I love a good a flic as much as the next guy, but I don't know about 12 straight hours . I probably would have been too drunk by the end of the night to stay up anyways.

That is so cool! We did a marathon like that but only with the first 2 extended editions since the third one wasnt out yet. It was hard enough with the 2 !

:-)
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    What a great time that must have been. I think if I try that we will start in the morning and have Irish coffees, drunk but awake for the whole thing. Thanks for the idea I will plan that for a nice fall weekend. Oh and thanks for the tip about no barbecue. We might also want to avoid refried beans and taco salad.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

rings

Well, we did start drinking early but paced ourselves. I had a pot of Starbucks coffee ready about halfway through the second movie which helped out a lot.
    I think someone should do the Entire Star Wars Series. ----Let me know how that goes

Quote Originally Posted by hmmmm
    Well, we did start drinking early but paced ourselves. I had a pot of Starbucks coffee ready about halfway through the second movie which helped out a lot.
    I think someone should do the Entire Star Wars Series. ----Let me know how that goes
    Once Episode III comes out in a few weeks, you KNOW that's going to happen all over the place.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

The big difference being that;

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Once Episode III comes out in a few weeks, you KNOW that's going to happen all over the place.
    The LOTR trilogy were actually GOOD movies. I shudder to think of what a day of Jar-Jar Binks & co. would do to my sanity...
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    The LOTR trilogy were actually GOOD movies. I shudder to think of what a day of Jar-Jar Binks & co. would do to my sanity...
    Agreed! Maybe it could start with Episode 2...

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Defshep
    Agreed! Maybe it could start with Episode 2...
    Perhaps a marathon of one! (episode 3)
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

MAN, I was watching a sitcom the other night and they had a group of guys watching LOTR Marathon........They called them LOSERSSSSSSSSSSSSSS...lol don't fret I did all 10 disk of Band of Brothers in one day
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

low on funds high on hope

crazy roomates and friends.

earlier this summer, some of my buds did all four seasons of smallville. i had to study and couldn't join in and i'm glad of it. by season 3, they ran out of beer and food, but they eventually made it all the way through. 6 started and 3 finished.

fyi 4 seasons about 22 episodes per season at about 45 minutes per equaled:
    66hrs or 2days and 18hrs. so when i had them over for the extended LOTR marathon a few weeks later, at about 11 or 12 hours, they laughed at me. that was plenty for me though.
    spl or die.

Kam
    watched all of "North and South" Books 1 and 2 straight through... ahh the saga of the Main's and the Hazard's... 1,131 minutes of good 'ol fashioned network miniseries... takes me back.
    /create

I not sure if you folks remember this show "Space Above and beyond" I picked up the complete series and watched it all also Oooooooh myyyyyyyyyyy

am I a LLLLLLOOOOOSSSSRRRRRRRRR, Geek, Nerd, outcast

or just enjoy good moives lol
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Utmostjamin1
    just drop a few hits of good acid ... im sure it will keep you up and the rings trilogy has enough ominous parts to it to keep you a trippin .. me at 39 my last acid trip was in my 20's never again ..... i need what brain cells i have left

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamison
    just drop a few hits of good acid ... im sure it will keep you up and the rings trilogy has enough ominous parts to it to keep you a trippin .. me at 39 my last acid trip was in my 20's never again ..... i need what brain cells i have left
    Ah yes memories.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information