Kam

Last of the Recent Rentals Reviews!

Ok, so am going to be helping out with the dvd reviews and will start my main single dvd at a time reviews next, but figured to post one last "group" review of the last few rentals (also because i didnt watch any of these on the main rig, so not much to report on sound/video issues).

Mad Hot Ballroom (2005) - Highly Reccomended. I generally go through a few phases of watching a bunch of documentaries, and am at the tail end of this current phase. But Mad Hot Ballroom is just a phenomenal doc! The story follows a ballroom dance class thats taught in new york city schools culminating in a ballroom dance competition after 10 weeks of rehearsals. The doc follows three schools (gradeschool) on their path to the competition, including one just few blocks from my place! (so that was kinda cool to see my 'hood in the movie). The kids learn a lot along the way, and am sure was one of the helpful reasons to inspire the movie Take the Lead (which is basically Dangerous Minds/Stand By Me/Summer School/High School Reject Cliche Movie meets Mad Hot Ballroom and was probably pitched exactly like that). The kids cheer for each other, cry with each other, fight tooth and nail to be in the competition and you see its effect not just on the kids, but the teachers too. It's really heartwarming and heartwrenching at the same time as you cheer for one group as they win and advance to the finals and are just heartbroken watching the other group as they don't. Great great feel-good documentary.

Rize (2005) - Highly Reccomended. Another 'dance' documentary, this follows the invention of Clowning and Crumping out of los angeles. It is an incredible expression as you watch these kids, high schoolers, and all ages, get into it. They release everything inside of them and you can see the emotion and the power of it in their moves. The opening disclaimer that the film has not been sped up in any way, may be met with a few chuckles of 'whatever' but just wait... it is definitely slowed down in shots to see the grace and beauty of the moves, but when you watch it at 'regular' speed, it is phenomenal how they move. Another incredibly touching doc in a completely different way than MHBR. Rize is an explosive, emotive release that really drew me in. Amidst this incredibly turmoil and tragedy filled lives where the kids are aware of death every single day of their lives (and have each personally either been an eye-witness to or known someone who has been shot and killed) find a way, and an incredibly positive and healthy way, to release all that tension and pain out of their bodies. They truly are creating a new art form of dance with what they do, and watching them is exhilerating. Also, as we (news media, etc)wonder how such mindless violence is possible in other areas of the world, we only need to look in our own backyards and wonder how someone can drive down the street and fire at and murder two small children simply for being there.

Frankie and Johnny are Married (2004) - Recommended (for film/acting buffs). This is a docudrama, about a married couple who decided to put on a play of Frankie and Johnny in the Clare de Lune (the same one that was adapted into the Pacino/Pfieffer movie). The couple actually did put on a run of this play and after it was all over, decided to make a fictional movie based on their actual experiences. The director of the play (playing himself and also writer/director of the movie) is a director of several television series (mainly alot of david e. kelly shows like chicago hope, etc). and the actress is his wife (and playing herself) who has done a few tv shows, but not much else. They've always wanted to work together, and with chicago hope going on hiatus, they decided to put on a play and showcase her talents to the industry. They cast a friend of theirs (another actor who is playing himself in the role) and then try and control the problems as everything spirals out of control including the lead actor friend of theirs too. It's a fun look at the process of putting on a play and if you're a fan of Waiting for Guffman type of movie, this is another enjoyable 'behind the scenes' look of the making of a play.

El Crimen Perceto (2004 "the perfect crime") - HIGHLY reccomended! Very quirky, fun, dark-comedy out of spain. A department store sales clerk is the master of his domain! he is a suave conquerer of women and goes through all the women (well, all the attractive women) in the department store. The one who he ignores the most is also the least attractive. He is about to become store manager over a rival sales clerk when an accident occurs, and the rival clerk is killed in a scuffle. That least attractive one is the only other person that knows of his secret... and that's when the fun begins! Don't want to give anything else away as the story is a real charmer as it slowly unfolds the diaboloical plans of both characters. An incredibly engaging performance by both leads. Very enjoyable.

peace
    k2
    (next up in the one-on-one reviews: Wong Kar Wai's "Days of Being Wild")
    /create

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Good job, Kam. I always appreciate your enthusiasm and the heads-up on stuff we don't hear much about in the mainstream entertainment media.

Kam
    always welcome deano!

oh one more note on Rize... the soundtrack is awesome! will definitely give your sub a workout, not sure what reference levels it can punch out, as i wasnt running it on my marantz/nht system, but on my smaller system, had to rush for the remote for fear of shaking the apt complex too much! very powerful bass in the music.
    /create

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Excellent, excellent reviews!!! Great work Cam (gives Cam the not worthy bow). I saw El Crimen Perceto at a friends house not too long ago. I really liked it.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    I saw Rize as well and really liked it. I feel like it gets a little treacly at the end, but the early scenes of a night-time krumping session on the basketball court are indelible. I agree on the soundtrack too. Very propulsive.

I'm looking forward to yr review of Days of Being Wild. I'm a big fan of Wong Kar-Wai.

Thread Information