• 09-19-2007, 09:21 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    The Last King of Scotland...
    http://songphon.files.wordpress.com/...ofscotland.jpg

I finally finally finally got around to seeing this film despite wanting to see it all last year. Forest Whitaker is amazing in this role, and it ranks up there with one of the finest portrayals of all time, in fact I rank this up there with Will Smith's Ali, which I also thought was superb. I always know when a performance like this is taken to a whole new level when somewhere early on in the film I forget that I am watching an actor and I am absorbed into believing that they ARE the character. When I think of General Idi Amin Dada, I think of Whitakers face. Whitaker has always been an underrated and underused actor, take GHOST DOG; WAY OF THE SAMURAI for example....extraordinary film. Also his role in CADENCE or Neil Jordan's THE CRYING GAME. He is often used very well, but in low-key roles, but here he shines like the sun!

I was surprised by the pace of this film and the momentum that it created early on caught me off-guard. I was familiar with some of the story based off of Barbet Shroeder's film GENERAL IDI AMIN DADA, which I highly recommend as well. I was very impressed with the overall direction of the film despite the fact that it loses some steam in the last half, but still quite good and never loses it's charm. Also, great soundtrack and a marvelous performance by James McAvoy. There is a tense moment in the film that rivals the early drug smuggling scene from MIDNIGHT EXPRESS.

3.5/5 stars!

http://static.hollywoodvideo.com/ree...dvd_129906.jpg
  • 09-20-2007, 07:58 AM
    Worf101
    Good film...
    My son begged and begged to see this film. I wouldn't take him to the the theatre to see it but I did finally rent the DVD. He watched the whole thing and in the end was quite disturbed by it. Much like Bruno Gans portrayal of Hitler in "Downfall" you find yourself drawn in and mesmerised by this meglomaniac. You realize that he's nuts but not all nuts and no more bizarre than your Uncle George who often fantasizes but can't act on the same impulses. Good film, I give it an A-minus in my book.

Da Worfster
  • 09-20-2007, 08:06 AM
    Troy
    Yeah, I saw this in the theater the afternoon of the oscars. Whitaker was very deserving of the best actor award, it was a true career defining moment for him.
  • 09-20-2007, 09:14 AM
    Feanor
    For sure
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies

I finally finally finally got around to seeing this film despite wanting to see it all last year. Forest Whitaker is amazing in this role, and it ranks up there with one of the finest portrayals of all time, in fact I rank this up there with Will Smith's Ali, which I also thought was superb. I always know when a performance like this is taken to a whole new level when somewhere early on in the film I forget that I am watching an actor and I am absorbed into believing that they ARE the character. When I think of General Idi Amin Dada, I think of Whitakers face. Whitaker has always been an underrated and underused actor, take GHOST DOG; WAY OF THE SAMURAI for example....extraordinary film. Also his role in CADENCE or Neil Jordan's THE CRYING GAME. He is often used very well, but in low-key roles, but here he shines like the sun!

I was surprised by the pace of this film and the momentum that it created early on caught me off-guard. I was familiar with some of the story based off of Barbet Shroeder's film GENERAL IDI AMIN DADA, which I highly recommend as well. I was very impressed with the overall direction of the film despite the fact that it loses some steam in the last half, but still quite good and never loses it's charm. Also, great soundtrack and a marvelous performance by James McAvoy. There is a tense moment in the film that rivals the early drug smuggling scene from MIDNIGHT EXPRESS.

3.5/5 stars!

Whitaker is scary-good in this film.
  • 09-20-2007, 11:43 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  • 09-20-2007, 01:09 PM
    Kam
    i always knew he was great when i first saw him in Bloodsport. :D
  • 09-20-2007, 02:18 PM
    I also agree. Whitaker deserved that oscar more than anyone else. I did not however, like the unrealistic affair with Amin's wife. And I also don't think it was necessary. It would have been much more believable if Amin had discovered that the good doctor was helping his wife get an abortion, without having to over-hollywoodize it with an actual affair with a white man - that is highly improbable considering how tightly Amin controlled his household and pride. Had she had the affair with one of his security guards (which is believed), then the storyline would have worked much better.

I also thought that the story ended very abruptly after the good doctor escaped on the plane. Almost as if the movie was more about him than Amin. It would have been a better movie if it would have had a little more about what happened after the Israeli raid. Also, the story brushed over the crimes of Amin. I think a more candid look at the atrocities would have been apropos. The mutilation of his 3rd wife was not only shocking (this likely did happen), but such horrific crimes were also common during Amin's reign.

That said, I thought that the torture of the doctor in the final scenes was the wrong scene to end that tale. Not only was it so gruesome that it made us forget somewhat the mutilation of his wife, but it made one believe that the assault on a white man was the final straw that broke the camel's back: now, finally, the big dark monster had to be brought down. It's all a little too reminiscent of America's latent myopia about it's own racist history. With everything that's going down in Jena this week, it seems like for every step forward (Whitaker getting the Academy award), we have to take two steps back.

Worf, I didn't see the parallels with "Downfall." I just never got the sense that Whitaker's Amin was that much out of control. I also don't think that the real-life Amin saw the bunker crumble around him, at least not when the hijacked plane fell into his lap. That said, I think that Ganz' portrayal was a bit more a reminder of someone much closer to home, here in the US. Funny thing, I actually first saw the movie in German (Europe last winter) and maybe it's just the language, but it seemed more ominous at the time, than it does now on DVD, and it really shouldn't.
  • 09-20-2007, 08:32 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightflier
    I also agree. Whitaker deserved that oscar more than anyone else. I did not however, like the unrealistic affair with Amin's wife. And I also don't think it was necessary. It would have been much more believable if Amin had discovered that the good doctor was helping his wife get an abortion, without having to over-hollywoodize it with an actual affair with a white man - that is highly improbable considering how tightly Amin controlled his household and pride. Had she had the affair with one of his security guards (which is believed), then the storyline would have worked much better.

I also thought that the story ended very abruptly after the good doctor escaped on the plane. Almost as if the movie was more about him than Amin. It would have been a better movie if it would have had a little more about what happened after the Israeli raid. Also, the story brushed over the crimes of Amin. I think a more candid look at the atrocities would have been apropos. The mutilation of his 3rd wife was not only shocking (this likely did happen), but such horrific crimes were also common during Amin's reign.

That said, I thought that the torture of the doctor in the final scenes was the wrong scene to end that tale. Not only was it so gruesome that it made us forget somewhat the mutilation of his wife, but it made one believe that the assault on a white man was the final straw that broke the camel's back: now, finally, the big dark monster had to be brought down. It's all a little too reminiscent of America's latent myopia about it's own racist history. With everything that's going down in Jena this week, it seems like for every step forward (Whitaker getting the Academy award), we have to take two steps back.

Worf, I didn't see the parallels with "Downfall." I just never got the sense that Whitaker's Amin was that much out of control. I also don't think that the real-life Amin saw the bunker crumble around him, at least not when the hijacked plane fell into his lap. That said, I think that Ganz' portrayal was a bit more a reminder of someone much closer to home, here in the US. Funny thing, I actually first saw the movie in German (Europe last winter) and maybe it's just the language, but it seemed more ominous at the time, than it does now on DVD, and it really shouldn't.

What surprised me about the beginning of the film was just how calm, cool, and almost ...happy it was. Although, most of the films early charm was necessary in order for us to like our characters, especially Amin. Also, the music was festive and all seemed well. I really enjoyed the colorful cinematography as well, which again I was expecting a more raw and almost documentary-like texture, but instead we get a warm glow-like film similar to something from Tony Scott....like MAN ON FIRE.
  • 09-20-2007, 08:48 PM
    musicman1999
    Nightflier

The film is about the doctor,the novel it is based on is a fictional memoir of the scottish doctor.

bill
  • 09-21-2007, 06:00 PM
    Had Singleton written the script, would it have ended the same?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman1999
    Nightflier

The film is about the doctor,the novel it is based on is a fictional memoir of the scottish doctor.

bill

Yes, I know. I guess my commentary is about both the movie and the book. Maybe I was hoping that Whitaker could have influenced the script somewhat.