The King's Speech

Printable View

• 12-29-2010, 05:47 AM
    Worf101
    The King's Speech
    Went to the Spectrum Theatre last night to see one of the pix getting big Oscar Buzz "The King's Speech". In a nutshell, King George the V dies, oldest son is a ponce, womanizer and Nazi sympathiser. Son number one abdicates throne to marry American divorcee and slaps his younger brother in the seat. Problem is, number 2 son has the mother of all stammers. Enter Geoffry Rush as the worlds most unorthodox speech therapist. Radio has intruded on the Royals so that, as the Kings Pappa said famously, "we've been reduced to most vile and low profession imaginable... actor."

Great costumes, first class cast, great acting wonderful scenery and sets. Knowing so much as I do about that time in english history, the interwar years in particular, I found the film fascinating. My viewing companion did not. However the theatre was slam full. I give it a solid B.

Worf
  • 12-30-2010, 03:42 AM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    However the theatre was slam full.

They probably trying to get away from blizzard outside :D
  • 12-30-2010, 05:48 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    Went to the Spectrum Theatre last night to see one of the pix getting big Oscar Buzz "The King's Speech". In a nutshell, King George the V dies, oldest son is a ponce, womanizer and Nazi sympathiser. Son number one abdicates throne to marry American divorcee and slaps his younger brother in the seat. Problem is, number 2 son has the mother of all stammers. Enter Geoffry Rush as the worlds most unorthodox speech therapist. Radio has intruded on the Royals so that, as the Kings Pappa said famously, "we've been reduced to most vile and low profession imaginable... actor."

Great costumes, first class cast, great acting wonderful scenery and sets. Knowing so much as I do about that time in english history, the interwar years in particular, I found the film fascinating. My viewing companion did not. However the theatre was slam full. I give it a solid B.

Worf

I'm sucker for historical dramas so I'll catch this one.

FWIW, it's Metacritic's in-theatre top scorer: critics (88) and viewers (9.1).