Smile Horror Movies: Favorite Top Three.

Since Halloween is on the way, this might be time to que up some of favorite horror movies. Exorcist and Shining are probably on everybody’s list, so we list them as honorable mention.

Not in any particular order:

An American Werewolf In London (1981): Director by John Landis, this movie is both funny and scary, suggesting that the two genres are not such an ill fit as some seem to believe.

Ghost Story (1981): Four old guys sit around an tell horror stories from the past. The horror start when one tales from past come to hunt them. With Fred Astaire.

The Fly (1986) : A scientist (Jeff Goldblum) begins to transform into a giant man/fly hybrid after one of his experiments goes horribly wrong. Jeff Goldblum did the best performance of his career.

The Three:

THE TENANT (1976) Dir. by Roman Polanski. Great film that I think is about as good, if not better than Polanski's other great horror film ROSEMARY'S BABY. THE TENANT also ranks as one of Bruce Campbell's all time great horror films.

EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1960) Dir. by Georges Franju. Awesome b&w film that is about as horrifying as it is intriguing in nature. Very ahead of it's time for 1960 and probably to some degree an inspiration of John Woo's FACE/OFF.

HALLOWEEN (1978) Dir. by John Carpenter. Classic. Terrifying. Awesome.

PeruvianSkies.

Watch your PM

Sorry, no pics...

but I'll play anyway...

1. "The Exorcist" - Scared me chitless, had to pass three graveyards on the way home then, ran as if the devil himself was after me. Lay awake at night for a whole month waiting for the bed to start jumping. Bad, bad mojo.

2. "Nosferatu" - Saw this in Junior High, scared the crap out of me. Vampire's ugly and hideous and scary.

3. "Salem's Lot" Original Miniseries. - When combined with the book... a real one two punch of terror. So frightening that CBS almost didn't air the second half. James Mason and a vampire so scary as to make you wanna run beneath the bed. Kids, vampire kids, floating up to your second story window in an effort to turn you, to bring you to their master. Damn I'm gettin' chills just writing this.

Da Worfster

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Poltergeist - I watched this by myself when I was 6 or 7 when my stupid babysitter decided she'd rather make out with her Motley Crue wannabe boyfriend at the time...scaredt he hell outta me then, still does.

The Omen (the original, though I didn't hate the re-make like everyone else) - what is it with #@*&ed up kids in scary movies?

Rosemary's Baby - just hearing the music theme still gives me shivers...yikes...

Forum Regular

Horror Movies

Blade 1 & 2, 30 days of night looks like it could make the list but you never know it could be another let down.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Since Halloween is on the way, this might be time to que up some of favorite horror movies. Exorcist and Shining are probably on everybody’s list, so we list them as honorable mention.

Ghost Story (1981): Four old guys sit around an tell horror stories from the past. The horror start when one tales from past come to hunt them. With Fred Astaire.

The book Ghost Story by Peter Straub gave me the heebeegeebies. I haven't seen the movie because I've always thought it wouldn't measure up. You've mentioned the film before. It might be time to check it out since it's been so long since I re-read the book.

Suspended

I'll go with...

The Boris Karloff version of "Frankenstein"

The Bela Lugosi version of "Dracula"

The Lon Chaney version of "The Wolfman"

What can I say? I'm old! I saw all of these when I was just a kid and I still remember feeling the hair on my arms stand up during certain scenes. It was great!

Wow, what a diverse selections of horror movies you guys choose. From original Bela Lugosi Dracula. to CBS TV miniseries, to Blades, Poltergeist and to Halloween. Have you notice that bets horror movies are not slashes. Best ones seem to have kids as villain, or one that activate imagination.

Surprise so far nobody mention SAW.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    You've mentioned the film before. It might be time to check it out since it's been so long since I re-read the book.
    Most definitely. If not, only for Fred Astaire and John Houseman performances.

Thread Information