frenchmon
    The High End Store!
  • 07-21-2010, 03:23 AM
    Hyfi
    now that is funny
  • 07-21-2010, 05:09 AM
    Worf101
    Lol....
    That was funny. I saw a similar one on the I-Phone. Just no changing some peoples minds.

Worf
  • 07-21-2010, 07:56 AM
    Hyfi
    just forwarded this to a workmate who said it was done by a Best Buy employee who got fired over it because he was really making fun of the Best Buy sales process....no info, no examples, no knowledge....
  • 07-21-2010, 08:56 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyfi
    just forwarded this to a workmate who said it was done by a Best Buy employee who got fired over it because he was really making fun of the Best Buy sales process....no info, no examples, no knowledge....

Wonder how they knew he did it?
  • 07-21-2010, 03:21 PM
    luvtolisten
    Good Video
    So true! I'm not a Bose basher, but there are a lot of people out there that think Bose is the first and last word of audio, and won't even consider anything else.
  • 07-21-2010, 07:34 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Ok, but what about....
    I totally get this video just like most people around here will, but we are the minority and of course we would love it if more people were open to our hobby and would understand that quality comes with a price. However...

I think it's fair to argue that often times the problem is not that a high-end store could crush a Bose system, but can they do it for the same price? Often never. Usually a person (in this case) has a budget of $500 to use, wants "quality", but yet need to make compromises in order to get the bang for the buck, but as most of us know, for $500 that barely scratches the surface of getting a player, a receiver, speakers, or separates, which even if you go for the lower end items, will still cost nearly $1000, if not more.

I've tried to help dozens of friends of mine over the years get decent systems in their homes, but they (unlike me) have fewer choices as they are usually on a super small budget, compromised space, or other factors that I often have to work around. Yet...they want a GREAT system in the end. It's nearly impossible to get them all that they want even with cutting corners, finding deals, and sometimes going with used equipment, which is almost always a last resort.

So I think the biggest question is....is there something that is better than Bose, offers all the same perks and functions, cost equal or less, and is still in some respects high-end or respectable in the audiophile world? None that I have found yet meet all these criteria and until the higher end becomes more mainstream...there is a market for Bose and it will continue to be known among the audio world as a solution for many.....so sad to say.
  • 07-22-2010, 03:12 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies

So I think the biggest question is....is there something that is better than Bose, offers all the same perks and functions, cost equal or less, and is still in some respects high-end or respectable in the audiophile world? None that I have found yet meet all these criteria and until the higher end becomes more mainstream...there is a market for Bose and it will continue to be known among the audio world as a solution for many.....so sad to say.

It won't be a single box but with a nice little mini TEAC all in one and a small pair of speakers, you can put together a radio-ipod-cd-system for 5-6 hundred. This lists at $499 so it can be had closer to $400.
    http://www.questforsound.com/amps/amps_teacAG-H380.htm
    These can be had for close to $150
    http://www.questforsound.com/speaker...ongyetSQ20.htm

So at the $600 price point, one can blow away a Wave but have to sacrifice and have REAL speakers.

Overall most people are just too lazy to properly educate themselves for any purchase, not just audio.
  • 07-22-2010, 05:56 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    "I read about Bose in Ladies Home Journal" LMAO!!!!!
  • 07-22-2010, 06:13 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyfi
    So at the $600 price point, one can blow away a Wave but have to sacrifice and have REAL speakers.

Overall most people are just too lazy to properly educate themselves for any purchase, not just audio.

I agree with you. However, on the other side of the coin, if all one truly wants is a decent sounding clock radio, they can buy one for a lot less than $500.

Why spend $600 to upgrade from Bose when you could actually be spending less. In the example of this video, the woman could get away with spending, probably, half the amount and still get the same sound quality as the Bose.

What I love most about Bose is their marketing!
  • 07-22-2010, 06:22 AM
    basite
    Quote:

well,

their "waveradio" is a thing on it's own, and it is possible to beat it?
    well...
    as for a one box solution, no...

I think boston audio made something similar, costing way less, but it didn't really catch on as well as the bose (surprise surprise, thank you multi billion dollar marketing bose department...). There was this thing from cambridge audio too, but it looked like it belonged in the 90's.

and

then there is Tivoli.

who make a music station thing, you can plug your ipod in, it has radio, it has a cd player, it has, well, pretty much everything, and being from tivoli, it actually sounds good too...

only problem is, it costs almost twice as much as the bose, but then again, you get real veneered wood, a good looking thing, good sound, and it won't fail after a year.

but then, this came on:

I don't know if you actually find them in the USA, but they are here in europe...

http://uk.genevalab.co.uk/srd.asp

http://www.genevalab.ch/v/vspfiles/E..._Large_PED.jpg

yup, they do it all...
    one model larger has a cd player too, the version in the picture costs 300, sounds WAY better than the bose wavething.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 07-22-2010, 06:58 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by basite
    , and it won't fail after a year.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.

This is actually where the price of Bose pays off. I have heard some amazing customer service stories about Bose. My brother posted a great story here a while back. I also have two friends that had very positive customer service experiences when having problems with their Bose earbuds.

That little iPod dock is pretty cool. I'm looking for something like that for our kitchen. I'll have to look into those. They sound good, you say? Oh, just checked the web site. No North American distribution. Pitty.
  • 07-22-2010, 07:23 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

I totally get this video just like most people around here will, but we are the minority and of course we would love it if more people were open to our hobby and would understand that quality comes with a price. However...

I think it's fair to argue that often times the problem is not that a high-end store could crush a Bose system, but can they do it for the same price? Often never. Usually a person (in this case) has a budget of $500 to use, wants "quality", but yet need to make compromises in order to get the bang for the buck, but as most of us know, for $500 that barely scratches the surface of getting a player, a receiver, speakers, or separates, which even if you go for the lower end items, will still cost nearly $1000, if not more.

I've tried to help dozens of friends of mine over the years get decent systems in their homes, but they (unlike me) have fewer choices as they are usually on a super small budget, compromised space, or other factors that I often have to work around. Yet...they want a GREAT system in the end. It's nearly impossible to get them all that they want even with cutting corners, finding deals, and sometimes going with used equipment, which is almost always a last resort.

There are a few alternates here http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...highlight=Bose

And that was from 2005. I bet there are more available now.

On a lighter note: I don't know what that Brit's problem was. Why wouldn't he just help that lady?
  • 07-22-2010, 08:44 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    There are a few alternates here http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...highlight=Bose

And that was from 2005. I bet there are more available now.

On a lighter note: I don't know what that Brit's problem was. Why wouldn't he just help that lady?

Because he was a Best Buy salesman and had no idea how to help a customer. He didn't even know what they sold.

I guess when B&W get there we will all know way more than any of the sales personnel ever will.
  • 07-22-2010, 03:53 PM
    Auricauricle
    I agree, Hy. The customer is always right. If she says she wants her Bose (or her MTV), then give the lady the doggone Bose.

You can always stick the needles into your ears afterward.
  • 07-23-2010, 03:48 AM
    poppachubby
    ..."but I like Wonder bread."

Hhahahahahha, perfect.