HBO just screwed me....

Printable View

• 06-22-2010, 06:13 AM
    Worf101
    HBO just screwed me....
    In case some of you don't know... my daytime gig (you know the one that keeps me in hock and puddin' in jewels) is in utility regulation. I make sure they don't put gas or electric lines, generating stations and alike in your grannies back yard or living room. For the last 2 plus years my boss, the State of New York, has been debating whether or not to allow gas companies to drill wells in a shale formation in this state called the Marcellus Shale.

The trade-offs are simple, big gas reserves which will put badly needed money into to the hands of farmers and the State. Only problem is the method of gas extraction is messy and potentially harmfull. Our sister agency, the Department of Environmental Conservation, has been diddling and fiddling with new regulations with an eye towards allowing this drilling to occur... at least there WERE going to do this until HBO aired this documentary last night called "Gasland".

Wow what a horror show this was:

1. The guy starts visiting folks out west who've been having well water problems for some time, including three in Pennsylvania. Their stories were not very riveting UNTIL they began LIGHTING THEIR WELL WATER ON FIRE!!!!!! Seems that when you hydro-frac, as some might assume you can't control in many instances, where the fracking fluids are going to go nor where the gas is going come out. The sight of people turning on the tap then setting their tap water on fire was chilling as it was shocking.

2. Numerous people, most of em good solid citizens from the south-west, showed off the expensive and complicated well water replacements systems that the gas companies put in so they would drop complaints or law-suits. Time after time they recounted how they challenged company officials to drink the water they declared was "safe" only to have them refuse.

3. Infared footage of drying tanks in the Dallas/FW area were shown spewing plums of "Xenes and Ol's" into the atmosphere. Independent air analysis (most State govts. can't or won't do the testing) showed that the stuff coming out of these ubiquitous tanks was/is a toxic cocktail of epic proportions.

4. People light creeks and streams on fire from the gas.

5. Company wags in Washington doing the "there's no credible research" two step after this film of absolute horror pretty much painted them as money grubbing worms. Hinchey's hair was fabulous.

6. The GIS data showing how quickly shale exploration and well drilling completely overwhelms an area is amazing. The guy in Texas warned us "back east" not to let it get out of hand like they did.

While this wasn't "Silent Spring" it is a pretty big bomb-shell. If this documentary which aired in Prime-Time on HBO last night with repeated viewings and on-demand availablity is widely viewed, we might NEVER see M.S. drilling in this state due to the fire-storm of controversy it's sure to arouse. Thanks to HBO, my work life's either just gotten more complicated or real simple.

Worf
  • 06-22-2010, 07:27 AM
    Hyfi
    Worf, I just heard all about this on NPR a week or so ago. The companies are lying about what and how much contaminated water they are leaving in the ground or allowing to flow into water supplies.

Alternatives need to be found as well as safe ways to implement them. They are not doing this safely.

It is all about money, and if not money, petroleum. It's also another example of Capitalism Gone Bad within our own Government.
  • 06-22-2010, 07:49 AM
    dean_martin
    I watched this last night. In fact, the director was a guest on The Daily Show last night. I happened to check the guide afterwards and sure enough it was on. Stayed up way too late, but having represented workers cleaning and closing those "production" water and waste pits in the past and visiting the community in LA where the mess was dumped my interest was piqued.
  • 06-22-2010, 08:42 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    It sounds to me like the gas companies and politicians screwed you. HBO was just telling the story.

Setting water on fire can't be good. :(
  • 06-22-2010, 08:44 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    It sounds to me like the gas companies and politicians screwed you. HBO was just telling the story.

Unless we can all run our cars on it.:shocked: I pay $73/qtr for my first 6000 gallons and then $4 for every 2000 gallons after that. I’ll be happy to open up a filling station and charge 0.50 a gallon.
  • 06-22-2010, 09:34 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    It's called the Barnett Shale here in the Dallas area Worf. Yes, there are neighbors of the drilling areas that had air quality tests done, and it was found that there are amounts of Benzine in it. Residents were paid money for access to their property when the contractors were laying pipe (pun), and now, in some cases, they are paying it back in human type costs.
  • 06-22-2010, 11:32 AM
    Troy
    Just another example of the failures of the "Drill Baby Drill" philosophy in action.
  • 06-22-2010, 01:01 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    In case some of you don't know... my daytime gig (you know the one that keeps me in hock and puddin' in jewels) is in utility regulation. I make sure they don't put gas or electric lines, generating stations and alike in your grannies back yard or living room. For the last 2 plus years my boss, the State of New York, has been debating whether or not to allow gas companies to drill wells in a shale formation in this state called the Marcellus Shale.

The trade-offs are simple, big gas reserves which will put badly needed money into to the hands of farmers and the State. Only problem is the method of gas extraction is messy and potentially harmfull. Our sister agency, the Department of Environmental Conservation, has been diddling and fiddling with new regulations with an eye towards allowing this drilling to occur... at least there WERE going to do this until HBO aired this documentary last night called "Gasland".

Wow what a horror show this was:

Worf

What should be clear is that resource companies, and indeed, large private companies in general are lying bastards who care about nothing but quick money. And yet so many Americans, (and not a few Canadians, BTW), regard "big government" as their enemy. Is there not a painful irony in this?

But then there is a problem with "big governement", or more precisely with polititians. We should realize that they are in the pay of interest groups, principally large private corporations. Until voters looking behind the veil of bullsh!t that obfiscates where their real interests lie, nothing will change.
  • 06-22-2010, 02:27 PM
    bobsticks
    Why would anyone drill a baby?

Actually, I plan on seeing this tomorrow night...
  • 06-22-2010, 05:52 PM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Why would anyone drill a baby?

Silly Sticks- Where do you think Baby Oil comes from?? :crazy:
  • 06-22-2010, 06:59 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid

LMAO!!!

Too funny! :lol:
  • 06-22-2010, 07:08 PM
    Worf101
    Spew!!!!!
    Quote:

Well played sir... well played.....

First laugh I had outta all this mess since it started. Sigh.... my problem is I'm paid to "balance" both sides of the coin. Most of the generating stations I've worked on in the last 28 some odd years run on "clean" natural gas, which I must admit is better than fuel oil or coal... But I know there's things that can be done to get the gas out of the ground quicker and cleaner... but they cost money which means less profit. I know folks want gas when it's cold and electricity when its dark and I help them get it but you have to threaten, shame, cajole and sometimes beg to get companies to do the "right" thing, and sometimes I feel too old for the struggle... but I sure ain't bored.

Worf
  • 06-22-2010, 08:02 PM
    thekid
    Worf

Hang in there and fight the good fight.
    At the end of the day you are often the only one that knows you did the right thing.
  • 06-24-2010, 07:43 AM
    catbagan
    I had to return it again and this time Amazon forced me to just take and No problems with HBO, but FOX has screwed up on me a few times.
  • 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

LOLOLOL...you get a greenie for that one
  • 06-24-2010, 01:33 PM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn

We still call it "magic" down here in the deep, deep south.
  • 06-24-2010, 01:37 PM
    GMichael
    You ol' moonshiner you.
  • 06-24-2010, 04:23 PM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    LOLOLOL...you get a greenie for that one

Woo-hoo!!
    I never have been able to figure out to award those things....
  • 06-25-2010, 04:09 AM
    Worf101
    Easy...
    Quote:

Woo-hoo!!
    I never have been able to figure out to award those things....

Just click on the crumpled paper thingy in the lower left hand corner of a post you admire and you'll be taken to a magical place where you can award green chicklets for posts you love or red chicklets for posts that make you wanna gag. However, like me, you'll often find that you like a particular persons posts A LOT and the system won't let you keep geening em and will ask you to spread the love around a bit before you can leave more sweetness.

Worf
  • 06-25-2010, 04:24 AM
    thekid
    Quote:

Just click on the crumpled paper thingy in the lower left hand corner of a post you admire and you'll be taken to a magical place where you can award green chicklets for posts you love or red chicklets for posts that make you wanna gag. However, like me, you'll often find that you like a particular persons posts A LOT and the system won't let you keep geening em and will ask you to spread the love around a bit before you can leave more sweetness.

Worf

Thanks for that info-
    You were just awarded my first greenie.
    Chiclets for everybody........
  • 06-25-2010, 04:50 AM
    Worf101
    More information....
    Many users here use different tactics to get their green on.

G-Man uses the cute picture of the bubble bath baby to get green love.

F.A. scares you with the Puni-mouse avatar then says such nice things you've no choice but to try and stay on her good side. And she's funny too!

Sticks, he prefers to do it the old fashioned way FEAR of a beatdown in the square circle.

Markw, uses humor and a nice attitude he also blinds us with SCIENCE!!

JM's just a nice guy who's empathy and caring shines through.

Sir TT uses his vast reservoir of technical knowledge to bludgeon the green from you.

Smokey uses polls and a smelly grease stained had to wring love out of you.

TheKid, he gets his for scouring all the thrifts in the known universe and allowing us to live vicariously though his vintageness.

Feanor uses a hung over Jack Nicholson to panhandle the green wine of love from you.

Audio Am uses the dreaded funky chicken attack to gain favor. Not the Mick Jagger version.

Atomic Adam gets love from me for referencing Harvey Birdman

JSE, oh JSE where've you gone my long lost friend? He extorts greenies by threatening to lift his skirt.

Pix......

Mr. Peabody sends Sherman around every month to collect the vig.

Frenchmon bribes you with pastries.

PoppaChubs simply overwhelms you with posts to the point you've no choice but to give him love. Sides you gotta love a guy that changes his avatar more often than I change my undies.

Deano, obscure movies references boggle da mind and inspires awe and greenies.

Kam, more obscure movies references than Deano and he's our man on the "inside". Our spy in Hollywood/New York.

Swish, still ruminatin on this one. He needs more green love actually!

Clint... miss him, he could use some love too.

Oh how could forget Rich in Tejas... He gets green love... How does he get green love?

This is just off the top of me haid if I missed anyone, jog my feeble ole memory and I'll elucidate.

Worf
  • 06-25-2010, 06:09 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

G-Man uses the cute picture of the bubble bath baby to get green love.

F.A. scares you with the Puni-mouse avatar then says such nice things you've no choice but to try and stay on her good side. And she's funny too!

Sticks, he prefers to do it the old fashioned way FEAR of a beatdown in the square circle.

Markw, uses humor and a nice attitude he also blinds us with SCIENCE!!

JM's just a nice guy who's empathy and caring shines through.

Sir TT uses his vast reservoir of technical knowledge to bludgeon the green from you.

Smokey uses polls and a smelly grease stained had to wring love out of you.

TheKid, he gets his for scouring all the thrifts in the known universe and allowing us to live vicariously though his vintageness.

Feanor uses a hung over Jack Nicholson to panhandle the green wine of love from you.

Audio Am uses the dreaded funky chicken attack to gain favor. Not the Mick Jagger version.

Atomic Adam gets love from me for referencing Harvey Birdman

JSE, oh JSE where've you gone my long lost friend? He extorts greenies by threatening to lift his skirt.

Pix......

Mr. Peabody sends Sherman around every month to collect the vig.

Frenchmon bribes you with pastries.

PoppaChubs simply overwhelms you with posts to the point you've no choice but to give him love. Sides you gotta love a guy that changes his avatar more often than I change my undies.

Deano, obscure movies references boggle da mind and inspires awe and greenies.

Kam, more obscure movies references than Deano and he's our man on the "inside". Our spy in Hollywood/New York.

Swish, still ruminatin on this one. He needs more green love actually!

Clint... miss him, he could use some love too.

Oh how could forget Rich in Tejas... He gets green love... How does he get green love?

This is just off the top of me haid if I missed anyone, jog my feeble ole memory and I'll elucidate.

Worf

Whaaaaaa!!!

I only have two greenies and have no idea what for. Obviously I am not doing things right around here.
  • 06-25-2010, 09:39 AM
    topspeed
    Just watched this last night on your recommendation, Worf. Wow. That was really disturbing. I'm not a greenie by any stretch of the imagination, but what Noble and the other energy companies are doing is flat offensive to the human race. Nice little bit sneaking into congress at the end and watching the corporate two step in action.

I suppose the most annoying issue is the government's complete lack of action on this, even though they had the data in hand. Ordering the EPA to stand down was astonishing.

Thanks for bringing up the topic.
  • 06-25-2010, 09:46 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Whaaaaaa!!!

I only have two greenies and have no idea what for. Obviously I am not doing things right around here.

If you click on User CP at the top of the page on the left, you can get more detail on your greenies.
  • 06-25-2010, 09:49 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Blah, blah, blah, greenie.
    Worf

I tried to give you a greenie for this well thought out list, but apparently the AR Gods think that I don't get around enough. They obviously aren't reading the right gossip columns.

Thanks for the kind words Worf. :smile5: