Forum Regular

Has anybody ever tried DSOTM and Wizard of Oz??

I have done it a couploe of times and i just gotta say i think it is more than a coincidence. Especially at the end of the movie when the album has played twice tghrough already and when dorothy wakes up that woman starts screaming on Great gig in the Sky i think is the name of the track.
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    This was good for a laugh back in the day...and there are some spooky coincidences, but that's all I think...

...has PF ever commented on this?

OK, I'll bite, WTF are you talking about? Is there some urban legend that says you play Floyd kinda like a soundtrack to the movie or what?

BTW, I read a reunited Floyd (w/ Roger Waters?) will be playing Bob Geldolf's new Live Aid concert that goes off in a bunch of different countries. Anybody else heard of this?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    OMG Topspeed... You've never heard of this?
    Yeah, you play DSOTM to Wizard of Oz, but you have to synch it to a certain point in the film, don't rember exactly where...it works better when you're sto-...err...much younger and more foolish....so I've been told.

it's about the music
    yeah, pink floyd commented on it and said that it was mere coincidence. Which seems to make a lot of sense because back in 1972 they didnt have VCRs, so there's no way they could have recorded it in synch with the movie. Not to mention that COMPOSING an album to an already made movie is on the verge of impossible.
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    OMG Topspeed... You've never heard of this?
    Yeah, you play DSOTM to Wizard of Oz, but you have to synch it to a certain point in the film, don't rember exactly where...it works better when you're sto-...err...much younger and more foolish....so I've been told.
    Cue up the album with the 1st, 2nd or 3rd (if there is a 3rd) MGM lion's roar, but I can't remember which.

A friend of mine and I used to experiment with changing the soundtracks to movies. The one we improved the most was the Planetary Traveler video from 1997 - alien spaceship travels to numerous planets, but in our version the spaceship explores strange worlds to the music of Scorn and other dark, ambient acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    Which seems to make a lot of sense because back in 1972 they didnt have VCRs, so there's no way they could have recorded it in synch with the movie.

Excuse me young grasshoppah, but they did have movies on 8mm, Super8, 16mm, etc. for home viewing - talk about a real home theater! Check ebay sometime. There are some cool old titles out there in these formats. But I do agree that it's probably coincidence.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I like watching "the Wizard of Oz" better with "Dark Side of the Moon" than with the actual movie sound.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

it's about the music
    LOOOOOOOOOL too true, sorry. Damn i really do feel young and stupid now! (but i guess if you feel that way when u're 18 its still ok, if i were 35, i'd start worrying...)
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

LOOOOOOOOOL too true, sorry. Damn i really do feel young and stupid now! (but i guess if you feel that way when u're 18 its still ok, if i were 35, i'd start worrying...)
    No, you would just feel old and stupid. Believe me, it doesn't bother you as much the older you get.

You're a good sport. I don't know which is worse - not realizing that folks used to watch movies at home with reels and projectors or remembering all too well the rattling projector while watching a personal hygiene film in health class.

Hmmm...this sounds like it could require further investigation ! I've never heard of this phenomenon and unfortunately my uhh...younger and more foolish days?...are long gone (at least I think they are. Can't really remember...). Naturally enhanced or not, I still enjoy listening to Floyd so I'll have to give it go.

it's about the music
    i kinda wonder what its like to listen to voyage 34 while on a trip... Like a double trip?

Utmostjamin1
    i kinda wonder what its like to listen to voyage 34 while on a trip... Like a double trip?
    Cue it up after the third lion roars and it will be synchronized. set your cd player to play the cd in entirety and have it repeat the whole cd over again it will follow it all the way through. at one point in the early 90's when laserdiscs were all the rage i recorded the wizard of oz and the audio of DSOTM onto a vhs tape. ... would really be cool with the SACD played back too have to try it

Forum Regular
    Everyone connected to the DSOTM recording has always denied anything was intentionally done here. Strictly a coincidence. Well Nick Mason did say once "It's absolute nonsense, it has nothing to do with "The Wizard Of Oz." It was all based on "The Sound Of Music."

According to engineer Alan Parsons, who is asked this question over and over, replied they had no means to play any video tape in the Abbey Road studios at the time.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I've tried this and it is kind of freaky.

What's even freakier is that every once in a while one of the film geeks in town will rent a movie theatre or a university lecture hall and sell tickets to this! I've never gone, although it's tempting...at my age I would stick out like a sore thumb. But it's nice to know that university students are still getting stoned and being exposed to this culture .

Forum Regular
    Growing up in Seattle, during the summer on friday nights they would have a sweet laser show to dsotm at the Science center. Saw it while under the influence of psilocybin(sp). 'twas unforgettable. Also, ppl were lightin up like it was their job, inside the dome. Good times.
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Quote Originally Posted by jamison
    Cue it up after the third lion roars and it will be synchronized. set your cd player to play the cd in entirety and have it repeat the whole cd over again it will follow it all the way through. at one point in the early 90's when laserdiscs were all the rage i recorded the wizard of oz and the audio of DSOTM onto a vhs tape. ... would really be cool with the SACD played back too have to try it
    Jamison, are you sure about the third? I remember it as the second roar, but that was years ago. Anyway, i'm sure it's on one of the lion's roars. Can anyone confirm. talking about old school.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I thought it was the second as well. I know "Money" should start when she steps out of her black and white house into technicolor munchkin land.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Forum Regular
    when i did it, as soon as the door opens to oz, the bassline from 'money' starts. Then the whole song the saxophone and diff instruments go along to each character who is talking on screen. Then they start to jam out at the exact time that the group starts down the yellowbrick road. Seriously, check it out if you dont believe...
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Laser shows at the Seattle Center are great, I actually went a couple months ago and they played DSOTM over Wizard of Oz WITH a lasershow on top of it! They stopped it after the album had played through once though. Then they played the first couple songs off Wish You Were Here over Blade Runner. Ahh what a night, and when the lights came on there were two cute girls making out on the floor in front of me lol ;D

Thread Information