• 09-18-2005, 06:39 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    The Greatest Game Ever Played
    I'm not very good at movie reviews, but I went to see a sneak preview of this new Disney film last night. It was very a very entertaining film based on a true story about Francis Ouimet, a young amateur golfer who beat Harry Vardon, considered the greatest professional golfer of his time, in the 1913 US Open.

The story line itself was rather simple. The photography was excellent. And some of the computer add-ins were very interesting (a golfball's eye view). But what really made this film for me, was a young actor named Josh Flitter who, IMO, stole every scene he was in and brought just the right amount of humour to what would otherwise have been a very serious and boring film.

As expected, there is a lot of golf in this movie, so if that bores you then you may find that the movie runs a little long. However, this film is more about following your dreams and believing in your own abilities than it is about golf.

There were some areas of the story-line that I felt were really weak. I don't want to go into any detail as I don't want to be responsible for spoilers. However, this story was based on a book. I'm guessing that the movie only touched on parts of the story that would be more detailed and play a larger part in the book.

This is a good family film. There was a group of about 10 young boys (9/10 years old) sitting behind us and they really seemed to enjoy it. It was a pleasure to watch a movie that was just based on a good story. No special effects to speak of, no body count, and not objectionable words.

Its been a long time since I've been to a movie where the audience applauded at the end. But they after this one. It just leaves you with a good feeling --- like any good Disney movie should.

Oh, and because it would be remiss of me to not comment on the music ;) Joe Jackson did an outstanding job on the soundtrack and even had a small cameo as the piano player in the bar scene.
  • 09-19-2005, 06:19 AM
    Worf101
    Thanks for the review....
    Perhaps something to take my knuckleheaded 12 year old to see this coming weekend. Sigh but I HATE giving money to Disney. Thanks again F.A.

Da Worfster :D
  • 09-19-2005, 06:33 AM
    Kam
    directed by Bill Paxton! huge departure from his last movie, Frailty.

Thanks for the review! agree with worfster too, anythings better than doling out cash to the monster eisner created.