Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

Freedomland? I say "Terribleland"

Has any one else bothered to rent this "thriller"? If not, I would steer clear of this stinking pile of steaming manure.

Even the acting of Samual L Jackson couldn't save this convoluted script and poorly directed waste of film.

If you would like a breakdown continue reading.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****SPOILER ALERT
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ****
    SPOILER ALERT
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ****

Film opens with Julianne Moore entering a hospital. She lets on that she had been attacked and her car had been stolen. Then film flashes to the projects. Samual Jackson and his partner are "working" the hood. Everyone knows everyone and things are going swimmingly. Then the Garret Police show up to arrest a guy. Samual swells up with indignation that Garret Police show up to arrest someone "without calling first".

The he gets a call from dispatch alerting him to the woman at the hospital. He leaves hood and goes to hospital. After much questioning about why she was in the projects at such a late hour all he gets is that she was getting her glasses(????) from her classroom.

After about 30 minutes of questioning she sorta lets it "slip" that her son (get this...a 4 year old) was in the back of car when it was carjacked. First RED FLAG. Who gets carjacked and then "forgets" to tell the officer that your KID IS IN THE BACK SEAT?

APB goes out for lost kid. The stupid mom also lets on that her brother is a detective for Garret Police Dept. This sets up a very lame and useless confrontation between "Black Officers" and "White Officers" later. Anyway brother comes (cant remember his name, but he was a paramedic on ER a few years ago) and produces picture of missing boy.
    Also calls in every Garret police officer and "locks down" the projects. Needless to say this does not endear the residents to help with the search. Also it seems a bit much as it is now about 4 hours after "abduction" and it is like a 4 block radius.

Jackson now decides to take stupid mom to projects instead of headquaters for more questioning. Sort of a reverese "perp walk". Here we learn that she is much loved in the projects for her work with disadvantaged children. At some point we actually see her working with the kids (YEA< heartstrings really pulled here). Time is about 20 hours after abduction. So it is easy to see how she would like to "get back to work".

In the middle of all this BS, a red suburban keeps following Jackson and Stupid Mom. After Jackson drops off Stupid mom, he stops and asks the people in Suburban what they want. Turns out they are concerned moms from some unknown "KENT" foundation. Apparently they follow detectives around unnanouced until they are discovered. They the group of 4 supermoms rally around the grieving mother until they figure out the "real truth" and find the child. Of course Jackson declines the help because after all, he is the detective in charge, and doesn't need the help.....or so he thinks. Key ominus music.

Skip forward about 30 minutes of lame red herrings and trumped up racial elements and we see Samual and the "KENT foundation" head sipping coffee together. Now he needs their help. They agree.

Then skip back to projects. Now Stupid mom is being quesitoned by her brother in some run down apartment. She is weepy and just a stupid as in the begining. I think I forgot to mention that Angry Brother ( of Stupid Mom) also assulted a young black man from the projects in the Garret Police station. They are "sure" he did it. So of course Angry Brother has to assult him. This leads Samual L to be quite angry and swear. Another black officer attempts to quiet him down. Samual says "Brother F***ER", that was pretty funny.

Now back to the apartment. Angry Brother leaves. Kent Foundation ladies try to get mother to help. She doesn't want to answer any questions. (BIG RED FLAG> Why don't you want to find your son)

Jackson wants them to search "Freedomland" a deserted home for wayward children. They look in the woods to no avail. Finally Stupid mom lets on that "This is the wrong park"

Samual takes Stupid mom in for quesitoning. We get some weepy explanation as to why she hasn't come clean. I gotta tell you, this is the most agonaizing part of the whole movie. Not because the acting is good, but because it is so BAD. Turns out that Stupid Mom is seeing a black man from the projects. And she loves him so much that she starts giving her son cough medicine to get him to fall asleep faster so she can get it on. This goes on for MONTHS. Two night earlier she suspects that he is going to break it off. Child begs her not to go downstairs or "SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN". Needless to say she "doses" (her words) him and goes down stairs. Sure enough after he leaves she goes upstairs and finds son "dead" after he drank the remainder of the cough syrup.

Why do you ask did she not call 911....Jackson wants to know also. Stupid mom crying says "A mother knows when her child is dead" whhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa. So, at this point it is only natural that you would bury your child at night in a shallow grave in a park not far from home. So "Kent" mothers find grave.

As if the movie has not already killed your interest, it is not over yet. Now the Garret police are in FULL RIOT gear. No, child is found, and police now put on the riot gear. Que up dread music. Project erupt in to a riot. It is so bad that I spotted 4 (count em) 4 piles of burning cardboard boxes. Yea, it was a real tinderbox. Jackson gets beaned by a billy club and has a vision of his boy that he "lost". Turns out he is in prision for armed robbery though. Not a victem of Nyquil.

After riot is over, Jackson visits Stupid mom in jail. She is on suicide watch and professes her love for Jackson because of the "way you talk to me".

Movie still not over yet. Jackson must visit his own "lost" son in Jail. Jackson breaks down, and son hugs him. Que credits.

This movie is AWFUL. Stay away. Thank goodness I only rented it.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Your to nice. Saw it sat night. What a waste of money and if i never see Moore cry again it will be to soon.
    Look & Listen

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I feel a bose or Monster coming up in me. The use of Terrible, even if used in conjuction with another word is a copyright infringement. Please cease and decist from using the word Terrible unless referring to Sir Terrence the Terrible specifically LOLOLOL,

Couldn't resist, Bose and Monster made me do it
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Fine, I will change the title from "Terribleland" to "Craptasticland"
    Either way, the film still sucked.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Fine, I will change the title from "Terribleland" to "Craptasticland"
    Either way, the film still sucked.
    Nice visual. That land would not be a nice place to walk!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs