• The Mark of Zorro (1920)

0 0%
  • Don Q., Son of Zorro (1925)

0 0%
  • The Bold Caballero (1936)

0 0%
  • The Mark of Zorro (1940)

2 22.22%
  • Zorro the Avenger/ The Sign of Zorro (1958)

1 11.11%
  • Zorro (1974)

1 11.11%
  • The Mark of Zorro (1974)

0 0%
  • Zorro, the Gay Blade (1980)

1 11.11%
  • The Mask of Zorro (1998)

3 33.33%
  • The Legend of Zorro (2005)

1 11.11%

Talking Favorite ZORRO movie

As it is evident from numerous serial productions and short films, Zorro seem to be more popular in matinee and TV than in feature films. But along the way, studios did manage to put out few noteworthy full length feature Zorro films which will be ranked in this poll.

My favorite Zorro film have to be Zorro , the Gay Blade with George Hamilton. George play the main character Zorro that get injured, so he called on his gay twin brother Bunny (also play be Hamilton) to fill in for him as Zorro while he is recuperating. Hilarious.

Ranked by released date:

The Mark of Zorro (1920): The first silent motion picture to feature Zorro. With Douglas Fairbanks Sr.

Don Q., Son of Zorro (1925): The sequel to above film. Also silent.

The Bold Caballero (1936): Robert Livingston stars as the first talking Zorro in this film.

The Mark of Zorro (1940): This film starring Tyrone Power is considered by many critics to be a cinematic masterpiece as it brings greater depth to the character.

Zorro the Avenger/ The Sign of Zorro (1958): In Walt Disney's adaptation of the legendary masked hero, Guy Williams creates a new generation of Zorro fans.

Zorro (1974): A noteworthy film from Italy, it star French actor Alain Delon where Zorro meet spaghetti western.

The Mark of Zorro (1974): Made for TV, THE MARK OF ZORRO is virtually a scene-for-scene remake of the 1940 theatrical film.

Zorro, the Gay Blade (1980): George Hamilton plays dual roles as this film is a satirical and comedic look at the legend of Zorro.

The Mask of Zorro (1998): The original Zorro (Anthony Hopkins) escapes from prison and trains a new Zorro (Antonio Banderas) as they team up a to save California.

The Legend of Zorro (2005): Antonio Banderas reprises his role as Zorro in this sequel to the 1998 film.
    Last edited by Smokey; 05-31-2010 at 04:06 AM.

Pheh....

Not even close. Tyrone Power vs. Basil Rathbone FTW!

"And he handles a sword like a demon from hell!!!"

Doesn't git any better.

2nd place? The Mask of Zorro with Banderas and Hopkins. Good acting there.

Da Worfster

Thanks Worf.

I must admit that it been ages since seen Mark of Zorro with Powers, so couldn’t evaluated it readily (don’t have Netflix ). But remember that Powers did his famous finale fight scene without Zorro custom, and always thought that was awkward.

Well Smokey...

I love your polls, this one might be a little light simply because Zorro is not a universal icon like say Superman, Tarzan, Batman, Sherlock Holmes etc... I've seen almost all of the versions mentioned above except the first couple of silent films. Tyrone Power's "Mark of Zorro" was made during the "Golden Age" of swashbuckling, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Flynn, Powers, Rathbone et. al who did great deeds of derring do.

Worf

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Not even close. Tyrone Power vs. Basil Rathbone FTW!

"And he handles a sword like a demon from hell!!!"

Doesn't git any better.

2nd place? The Mask of Zorro with Banderas and Hopkins. Good acting there.

Da Worfster
    I second this, but I do have a preference for The Mask of Zorro. Zeta Jones moves me...
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I second this, but I do have a preference for The Mask of Zorro.
    Mask of Zorro seem to be favorite so far as it is leading in the poll. I don't know if you guys seen '74 Zorro film with Alain Delon or not, but I wished they made more Zorro films like that with more fast action and violence. Like Eastwood's early westerns.

Zorro charactor seem to have soften up over the years and somebody need to lite the fire

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I saw that Italian made Zorro (a long time ago) and it was swashbuckling without the pagentry. I agree with you Smokes, it might be the most original rendition I've seen thus far. Other movies seem to follow the same Lone Musketeer formula which relies on too much comedy relief IMO.

Yeah, the Flynn/Rathbone Robinhood rocks, and it did have a lot of comedic overtones, but you knew in that final fight scene Sir Robin and the Sheriff woulda run each other through if they could, both had a palpable arrogance...pro wrestling should look that real.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    I saw that Italian made Zorro (a long time ago) and it was swashbuckling without the pagentry. I agree with you Smokes, it might be the most original rendition I've seen thus far.
    As I was looking up this movie, find out that Italy had made over 19 version of Zorro films. I think he got some fans over there

As far as Flynn/Rathbone, Robinhood might need thread of its own (hint hint )

Yah.....

With Sir Russel's take on Robin Hood, there're enough versions of this story to make one healthy poll (Hint Hint taken). You'd have to make sure you include "Shreck" and "Ivanhoe" in there as they have apperances by Robin of Locksley and his merry men.

Worf

Soooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Mask of Zorro seem to be favorite so far as it is leading in the poll. I don't know if you guys seen '74 Zorro film with Alain Delon or not, but I wished they made more Zorro films like that with more fast action and violence. Like Eastwood's early westerns.

Zorro charactor seem to have soften up over the years and somebody need to lite the fire
    Basically you want someone to do for Zorro what's been done for "Batman" and James Bond? I can see that, but there are other heros that need resurecting as well.

Worf

3LB
    I can see that, but there are other heros that need resurecting as well.
    like who?

With Sir Russel's take on Robin Hood, there're enough versions of this story to make one healthy poll (Hint Hint taken). You'd have to make sure you include "Shreck" and "Ivanhoe" in there....
    What do you mean "You"?

3LB mentioned Robinhood, so either you or him should come up with the poll. And don't forget Mel Brooks version of Robinhood. And yeah, with images please

Like who?
    How about Wonderwoman.

Off the top of me pointy haid

like who?
    Here are some classic heroes more in need of "do over" than Zorro. Zorro's been quiet of late but most of the films made of his exploits were actually pretty damn good. These guys need REAL help.

"The Shadow" - Pulp fiction's greatest hero needs doing right by someone other than a Baldwin.

"Doc Savage" - Same as above with even more urgency. That turd of a movie made in the 70's needs to be expunged.

"Conan the Barbarian" - I know there's a remake in the works but dang, please help me get the stench of Conan the Destroyer out of my nostrils.

"Superman" - The last reboot didn't quite take did it?

"WonderWoman" - Why has this taken so effin' long?

"The Lone Ranger" - Did you ever see that cinematic crime from the early 80's? The Horror, the horror"....

All these just off the top of my pointy haid.

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    What do you mean "You"?

3LB mentioned Robinhood, so either you or him should come up with the poll. And don't forget Mel Brooks version of Robinhood. And yeah, with images please

How about Wonderwoman.
    Now Smoke... you KNOW that nobody finds purty pictures for their polls like you do. I've neither the band width nor the access like you do. You know you're da king of the photoshop!

Worf

3LB
    Those are good choices, but Wonder Woman...might be a stretch. Too much about her needs reinventing...her old storyline requires childlike suspension of disbelief. I mean, Lasso of Truth? Invisible Plane? Amazonian super race of women that look like Jane Russel or Dorothy Lamour?

Look, I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but how Nazi-like are the star-spangled superheroes Wonder Woman and Captain America what with WW's Arien looks and Cap's genetically engineered supersoldier Flag syrum?

Anyhoo, back on topic - I keep sayin, we're so long overdue for a Luke Cage Powerman movie.

Thumbs up cool pics

Yoo "Smokey Maaaan!! how do get em pics looking so smooth
    I had to vote for the mark of Zorro as it reminds me "of when my mom took me to see it, (it rained so hard that night) this was in "Jamaica" where the cheaper section of the movie theaters was open air, they were built that way for Air Conditioning purposes (no one got up anyway??!!)

BTW as long your in the Swashbuckling mode (Tony Curtis) have a few any one of you guys remember them?... and there's this one that gives me goose bumps every time!!
    ROB ROY (Tim Roth) portrayal of the villain Archibald Cunningham!! the man was "Freezing Cool" (Liam Neeson & Tim Roth at there best
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

AR Newbie Registered Member san4os's Avatar
    Hello!

I like Zorro (1975) with Alain Delon!!!

Forum Regular

Zorro 1974