Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Favorite Concert DVDs (Another Attempt!)

Hey guys! I was thinking about picking up some concert DVDs and tried to to a search for a thread that may have a huge list of concert DVDs and why people like them. I did fine one titled "favorite concert DVD" and it had almost 130 responses. I thought "Bingo! There it is!" Upon looking through it, my thought went to "Oh well, better luck next time!" It did seem interesting for a bit, but I quickly got sick of reading through it.

Can we make another attempt for everyone to list what concert DVDs people have and which ones they like best (a small explanation why could also be beneficial -- especially for anyone else that may be looking for the same information)?

I'll start...
    Concert DVDs owned:
    AC/DC -- No Bull
    AC/DC -- Live at Donnington
    AC/DC -- Stiff Upper Lip
    AC/DC -- Family Jewels (not a concert DVD per se, but has video and music)
    (I think I may be an AC/DC fan!)
    Tragically Hip -- That Night in Toronto

I originally had all AC/DC stuff and loved all of it, but recently bought the Tragically Hip Boxed set with the two CDs and two DVDs. After watching the Hip concert, I was a little dissappointed when I put the Stiff Upper Lip DVD in for a quick watch (just put on a few songs). I still enjoy the music, but the video editing didn't seem as good when I watched it again. Seemed to be too much zooming in and out for my liking. The Hip concert had more concentration on the band during the songs(attention went to crowd pretty much only between songs), while the AC/DC concert seemed to be all over the place. I certainly will be watching it again sometime. I'll have to watch them all again soon to see which one seems better now that I have something else to compare them to.

I also enjoyed watching Family Jewels because it sort of gives a history of how the band got where it is today in terms of music videos.

Good subject.

My favorite concert DVDs are:

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (1984)

Roy Orbison - A Black & White Night (DTS) (1988): With Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne and Elvis Costello.
    Last edited by Smokey; 02-09-2006 at 02:40 PM.

I don't have many....

"Sade Live" - God I love this woman.
    "Sign O' The Times" - Prince. When he was at the top of his game. Master of the Universe.
    "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" - The Live performances were/are amazing. The finale sends chills up and down my spine..

Da Worfster

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (great DTS demo disc)

U2 - Vertigo Tour, Live in Chicago

Kam
    another nomination for Black and White and, while i dont own the dvd, i really enjoyed the peter gabriel one i saw a while back, (will repost with the name, cant remember it, am very lazy right now) that had a great mix of older and newer stuff, including two of my favorite tracks of his, Running to the Rain and Signal to Noise.
    /create

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Some of my fav's are:
    Rush in Rio
    Dream Theater: Live at Budokan
    Allman Brothers - Live at the Beacon Theater
    Tori Amos - Welcome to Sunny Florida
    Diana Krall - Live in Paris

Honorable mention to Led Zeppelin's self titled DVD too, not really great footage, and the sound quality isn't the best, and as much as they stole from some of my favorite blues legends these guys had it.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

5 Favorites;

Fleetwood Mac "The Dance"
    Alice in Chains "MTV Unplugged"
    Peter Gabriel "Growing up Live"
    Eagles "Hell Freezes Over"
    The Corrs "Live at Lansdowne Road"

special mention to; Music for Montserrat.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Kam
    Growing Up Live! That's the one!
    /create

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Great DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    Growing Up Live! That's the one!
    For me, the apex of that performance was the song "Sky Blue".

When the Blind Boy's of Alabama rise up center stage it was pure magic. The hair on my arms stands up just remembering it!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    My favorites so far -

Diana Krall - Live in Paris DTS
    Eagles - Farawell Tour part 1 (awesome DTS sound - better than most sci fi movies)

Forum Regular

This are the only one I gots...

Well, I am generally NOT a fan of recorded live music (is that an oxymoron?). I own very few live albums. They just don't do it for me. However I do own one concert DVD. And to be honest, I bought it for the music rather than the video (and of course, it later came out on CD just to mess with me). And it is...
    PORTISHEAD - Live in NYC
    The arrangements are almost exactly the same as the tunes on their 2 studio albums, but actually played by musicians (including a full orchestra) instead of being reproduced electronically. The only exception being the DJ scratching, but this is kept pretty low-profile (again mirroring their studio work). It has a strange little black & white film included.
    Mike

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Wynton Marsalis Live at the LIncoln Center
    Patty LaBelle Live at the Apollo

Patty Labelle DVD is just awesome. She sings every song like its the last time she will.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Yeah, that other concert DVD thread got derailed by a certain Resident DVD Review Plagiarist. I'm feeling lazy today, so my original post is cut and pasted below...

From a purely technical standpoint, I would go with Boz Scaggs' Greatest Hits Live and Pat Metheny Group: Speaking of Now Live. From a purely performance standpoint, I would lean towards Bruce Springsteen Live In Barcelona.

The Boz Scaggs DVD was produced by HDNet for their high definition satellite broadcasts, and if any other concert videos that they might have produced look and sound this good, then I will definitely have to seek more of them out. My background with Boz Scaggs is limited to Silk Degrees and his latter albums, which used a multitude of L.A. session musicians that I used to frequently see around town. The DVD spans a much longer time frame beyond my familiarity, and as such, the music is a mixed bag with me. (But, the DVD was taped at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, which happens to be where I took my now wife on our first date, so I had to at least buy the disc for posterity's sake!) The technical production work at the video end on this disc is quite good, few visible flaws that I could pick up.

And on the audio end, the disc features 5.1 DD and DTS tracks, as well as a 2.0 track processed in SRS surround. The perspective of the audio mix takes more of an "artistic" approach, which does not limit the surround usage to ambient and crowd cues. This recording steers a lot of the keyboards, acoustic guitars, and background vocals into the surround channels, but also matches a lot of the lead instruments up front, which solidifies and stretches the side imaging perspective from the front soundstage back to just behind the listening position. While this creates a very convincing surround effect that plants the listener into the middle of the stage, it's not overdone and the ambient and crowd sounds from the backside are located exactly where they should be in the soundfield. Dynamically, the recording sounds great for an amplified live concert recording, and the layering of the different instruments is well differentiated with a very full sound (the use of two keyboardists and the good decisions in how the instrumentation gets steered into the surrounds probably contribute).

The Pat Metheny Group: Speaking of Now Live DVD is his third concert DVD, and this one was recorded in Japan inside of a concert hall with very good acoustics. This was also the first tour after Metheny revamped his long-time band lineup. Even though the album that this tour supported was unfortunately one of Metheny's weaker recent efforts, the displays of musicianmanship in this concert are very impressive and definitely pointed to greater and more exciting things to come from the new lineup. (Accordingly, the follow up album The Way Up is an absolutely astounding almost epic work that defies description, and one of his June performances of this album in Korea has been taped for DVD release -- can't wait!)

While the video quality of this DVD has its fair share of visible glitches, the audio is superlative. With 4.1 DD and DTS soundtracks, this DVD was mixed without the center channel, and compared to his two previous concert DVDs, it has a very open and ambient sound. Unlike the Boz Scaggs DVD, this sound mix takes the perspective from out in the audience and conveys the ambience of the concert hall very well. Dynamically, the sound is very clean with just the right amount of extension. In fact, when I saw Metheny earlier this year, I kept thinking how much I preferred the sound of the DVD over what his live concert rig sounded like.

The Bruce Springsteen DVD was filmed near the start of his 2002 tour in support of The Rising. Even though Springsteen has long been one of best live rock performers ever with one of the best jam bands around to back him up (they typically rehearse over 200 songs before going on tour, and Springsteen at any given moment might launch into any of them), this was the first time that he released a video that documented an entire concert (his concerts are typically over three hours long, and the playlist will vary from show to show). Even though his previous Live In New York City DVD probably did a better job at chronicling his "greatest hits," the Barcelona show was probably a better overall performance, and it highlighted The Rising which IMO perfectly captured the scope and meaning of 9/11, without resorting to scapegoating and poseur posturing that made its way into other 9/11-themed albums. The audio and video quality are both subpar, but the power of the performance is still evident.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Yeah, that other concert DVD thread got derailed by a certain Resident DVD Review Plagiarist. I'm feeling lazy today, so my original post is cut and pasted below...

From a purely technical standpoint, I would go with Boz Scaggs' Greatest Hits Live and Pat Metheny Group: Speaking of Now Live. From a purely performance standpoint, I would lean towards Bruce Springsteen Live In Barcelona.

The Boz Scaggs DVD was produced by HDNet for their high definition satellite broadcasts, and if any other concert videos that they might have produced look and sound this good, then I will definitely have to seek more of them out. My background with Boz Scaggs is limited to Silk Degrees and his latter albums, which used a multitude of L.A. session musicians that I used to frequently see around town. The DVD spans a much longer time frame beyond my familiarity, and as such, the music is a mixed bag with me. (But, the DVD was taped at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, which happens to be where I took my now wife on our first date, so I had to at least buy the disc for posterity's sake!) The technical production work at the video end on this disc is quite good, few visible flaws that I could pick up.

And on the audio end, the disc features 5.1 DD and DTS tracks, as well as a 2.0 track processed in SRS surround. The perspective of the audio mix takes more of an "artistic" approach, which does not limit the surround usage to ambient and crowd cues. This recording steers a lot of the keyboards, acoustic guitars, and background vocals into the surround channels, but also matches a lot of the lead instruments up front, which solidifies and stretches the side imaging perspective from the front soundstage back to just behind the listening position. While this creates a very convincing surround effect that plants the listener into the middle of the stage, it's not overdone and the ambient and crowd sounds from the backside are located exactly where they should be in the soundfield. Dynamically, the recording sounds great for an amplified live concert recording, and the layering of the different instruments is well differentiated with a very full sound (the use of two keyboardists and the good decisions in how the instrumentation gets steered into the surrounds probably contribute).

The Pat Metheny Group: Speaking of Now Live DVD is his third concert DVD, and this one was recorded in Japan inside of a concert hall with very good acoustics. This was also the first tour after Metheny revamped his long-time band lineup. Even though the album that this tour supported was unfortunately one of Metheny's weaker recent efforts, the displays of musicianmanship in this concert are very impressive and definitely pointed to greater and more exciting things to come from the new lineup. (Accordingly, the follow up album The Way Up is an absolutely astounding almost epic work that defies description, and one of his June performances of this album in Korea has been taped for DVD release -- can't wait!)

While the video quality of this DVD has its fair share of visible glitches, the audio is superlative. With 4.1 DD and DTS soundtracks, this DVD was mixed without the center channel, and compared to his two previous concert DVDs, it has a very open and ambient sound. Unlike the Boz Scaggs DVD, this sound mix takes the perspective from out in the audience and conveys the ambience of the concert hall very well. Dynamically, the sound is very clean with just the right amount of extension. In fact, when I saw Metheny earlier this year, I kept thinking how much I preferred the sound of the DVD over what his live concert rig sounded like.

The Bruce Springsteen DVD was filmed near the start of his 2002 tour in support of The Rising. Even though Springsteen has long been one of best live rock performers ever with one of the best jam bands around to back him up (they typically rehearse over 200 songs before going on tour, and Springsteen at any given moment might launch into any of them), this was the first time that he released a video that documented an entire concert (his concerts are typically over three hours long, and the playlist will vary from show to show). Even though his previous Live In New York City DVD probably did a better job at chronicling his "greatest hits," the Barcelona show was probably a better overall performance, and it highlighted The Rising which IMO perfectly captured the scope and meaning of 9/11, without resorting to scapegoating and poseur posturing that made its way into other 9/11-themed albums. The audio and video quality are both subpar, but the power of the performance is still evident.
    You are banned for plagerizing yourself!!! Don't let the door hit ya! LOLOL
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by agidol
    My favorites so far -

Diana Krall - Live in Paris DTS
    Eagles - Farawell Tour part 1 (awesome DTS sound - better than most sci fi movies)
    I picked up the Eagles -- Farewell Tour Part 1 last week at Future Shop when I picked up the LOTR 12-disc extended version boxed set that was on sale for $60CDN. I was looking for Hell Freezes Over, but couldn't see it there.
    I managed to get a listen to it last night and Monday night. I was impressed! The sound was excellent. I couldn't turn it up toooo loud because our 14 month old was sleeping, but I managed to get it loud enough to enjoy without disturbing him.

I even used this concert to compare a couple of subwoofers. I originally had a PSW10 that came with my RM6005 set that I got at the Future Shop Boxing Day Sale. It sounded somewhat OK. It did extend the bass a bit, but seemed lacking. I was impressed with it for movies though as it seemed to do the job. The manager Future Shop was kind enough to let me return this set (despite being over 30 days and with no receipt -- they had to look for it through their files), and pay the difference to get a Velodyne DPS-12 that was on sale for $429CDN ($170 off reg price). I was much more happy with the Velodyne, despite only listening to it for one evening! The most noticable thing so far during the concert, was that I could actually feel the kick-drum (I think that's what it is called) kicking! I can't wait to put on a few good LFE movies to test it out!

I'm starting to get off-topic.. To get back on topic.... Can anyone comment on which Eagles DVD is better -- The Farewell Tour or Hell Freezes Over, or are they both very similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    You are banned for plagerizing yourself!!! Don't let the door hit ya! LOLOL
    You guys are getting a little too strict for me. If Wooch goes, I go. And I'm taking all my alternate personalities with me.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Favorites:

Eric Clapton Live at Hyde Park
    Sade Lovers Live
    Peter Gabriel Growing Up Live !

Forum Regular
    Folks who have seen both DVDs said Farewell Tour 1 was better sounding of the two (Netflix review). I have not seen Hell Freezes Over though, and I miss Don Felder.

Forum Regular
    Nice recommendations so far.

I just recently posted my appreciation for a Queen DVD under Rave Recordings. It's called We Will Rock You. Great performance, great audio, great song list. Much better than the Wembley DVD. Freddie Rocks.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by agidol
    Folks who have seen both DVDs said Farewell Tour 1 was better sounding of the two (Netflix review). I have not seen Hell Freezes Over though, and I miss Don Felder.
    I guess I will find out for myself soon. I dropped into HMV yesterday to look for the 'Very Best Of' Cd's. I found them, but also seen the Hell Freezes Over DVD for $30, so I ended up grabbing that as well. Hopefully I will get a chance to watch it soon! I know the GF is much happier that I am into an 'Eagles kick', rather than an 'AC/DC kick'! She hasn't complained yet about the recent Eagles purchases.

Forum Regular
    Marillion- Marbles on the Road. Their best concert DVD in my opinion and the sound is excellent.

The Who- Live in Boston. It was filmed shortly after Entwistle died so it has Pino Palladino on bass, and Zakk Starkey on drums. The setlist is like a "greatest hits" with one classic song after another.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

On recent purchases:

Diana Krall--Live in Paris--fantastic all-around product;if you don't like DK by it for the band of heavyweights she's got;great sound and video
    The Corrs--Live in London--almost too flashy and polished;good sound and performance; IMO live in Dublin is preferable
    Godsmack--Changes--grainy,rude,caustic;will work your subwoofers;if you're looking for polish, look elsewhere; if you liked Godsmack live, you'll like this
    Collective SoulHome--amazing polish;great sound especially PCM; reference quality video; interesting idea playing with the ASYO; I can't get wrapped around it
    Alison Krause+Union Station-Live--Unbelievably good; a little bit of this genre goes a long way...but this is the little bit that you want
    Dave Matthews Band--The Central Park Concert--adequately captures the band live which is no easy task;great perfprmance; excellent sound and sound options; high quality video presentation (you can tell what time it is on the sax players watch)
    Alicia Keys--Unplugged--embarassingly bad if your a fan; horrible, horrible sound quality; to paraphrase: " better to potentially be thought unwise than to talk in between songs and remove all doubt"; disappointing

Red face

Springsteen - Hammersmith Odeon, London '75. Surpisingly great sound and video for an older show.
    Radiohead - the astoria london live. Love these guys and it is raw and awesome.
    Bodeans - Homebrewed. Live from the Pabst. Anyone who has seen these guys in concert will love this one.
    CSN - the Acoustic Concert. Stills on acoustic during Suite: Judy Blue Eyes will make your jaw drop.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Cunning Stunts - Metallica
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen B
    Favorites:

Eric Clapton Live at Hyde Park
    Sade Lovers Live
    Peter Gabriel Growing Up Live !
    I'm trying to find the 96 concert at Hyde Park on DVD but i dont want EC,i want the Who part,it was great. I have it on VHS off a HBO special.
    Look & Listen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information