favorite concert dvd?

Printable View

• 08-23-2005, 01:12 AM
    musicman1999
    favorite concert dvd?
    What is your favorite concert dvd and why?
    Mine is David Gilmore in concert.It is an acoustic concert recorded in England with a killer band.It is about half Pink Floyd material and the rest covers.The video is clean and clear and the 5.1 track is solid.The real star,however is the pcm stereo track.In a word,stunning.
    thanks
    bill
  • 08-23-2005, 09:06 AM
    eisforelectronic
    Roy Orbison: Black and White

and

Metallica: Cunning Stunts
  • 08-23-2005, 09:39 AM
    Lexmark3200
    I have a few:

FLEETWOOD MAC: TANGO IN THE NIGHT LIVE
    METALLICA: S&M
    GOO GOO DOLLS LIVE IN BUFFALO JULY 4 2005
    and the upcoming POLICE:SYNCHRONICITY LIVE WITH DTS
  • 08-23-2005, 12:53 PM
    JSE
    Rush - Live in Rio. Unbelievable. To see and hear the crowd interaction is amazing.
  • 08-24-2005, 05:45 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Patty Labelle Live from the Apollo Theater. Watching this woman sing live is like being electrocuted with 1k of power. Anyone who can lay down, roll accross the floor while holding one of the highest notes I have ever heard her sing, and not waver one bit in pitch is awesome in their own right.
  • 08-24-2005, 08:44 AM
    Tarheel_
    Rush in Rio....not greatest in terms of sound quality, but its a rockin concert with a ton of fans.

Eagles 'Hell Freezes Over'...sound quality here is unbelievable. Not even a big Eagles fan, but this DVD will show off you HT like no other.
  • 08-24-2005, 08:53 AM
    Lexmark3200
    "Eagles 'Hell Freezes Over'...sound quality here is unbelievable. Not even a big Eagles fan, but this DVD will show off you HT like no other."

I have heard this statement before and thus put the disc on my Want List.....
  • 08-24-2005, 03:54 PM
    paul_pci
    Pearl Jam Live at the Garden: awesome video and incredible sound.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Live at Slane Castle: who doesn't love the Chili Peppers?
  • 08-24-2005, 05:17 PM
    Woochifer
    From a purely technical standpoint, I would go with Boz Scaggs' Greatest Hits Live and Pat Metheny Group: Speaking of Now Live. From a purely performance standpoint, I would lean towards Bruce Springsteen Live In Barcelona.

The Boz Scaggs DVD was produced by HDNet for their high definition satellite broadcasts, and if any other concert videos that they might have produced look and sound this good, then I will definitely have to seek more of them out. My background with Boz Scaggs is limited to Silk Degrees and his latter albums, which used a multitude of L.A. session musicians that I used to frequently see around town. The DVD spans a much longer time frame beyond my familiarity, and as such, the music is a mixed bag with me. (But, the DVD was taped at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, which happens to be where I took my now wife on our first date, so I had to at least buy the disc for posterity's sake!) The technical production work at the video end on this disc is quite good, few visible flaws that I could pick up.

And on the audio end, the disc features 5.1 DD and DTS tracks, as well as a 2.0 track processed in SRS surround. The perspective of the audio mix takes more of an "artistic" approach, which does not limit the surround usage to ambient and crowd cues. This recording steers a lot of the keyboards, acoustic guitars, and background vocals into the surround channels, but also matches a lot of the lead instruments up front, which solidifies and stretches the side imaging perspective from the front soundstage back to just behind the listening position. While this creates a very convincing surround effect that plants the listener into the middle of the stage, it's not overdone and the ambient and crowd sounds from the backside are located exactly where they should be in the soundfield. Dynamically, the recording sounds great for an amplified live concert recording, and the layering of the different instruments is well differentiated with a very full sound (the use of two keyboardists and the good decisions in how the instrumentation gets steered into the surrounds probably contribute).

The Pat Metheny Group: Speaking of Now Live DVD is his third concert DVD, and this one was recorded in Japan inside of a concert hall with very good acoustics. This was also the first tour after Metheny revamped his long-time band lineup. Even though the album that this tour supported was unfortunately one of Metheny's weaker recent efforts, the displays of musicianmanship in this concert are very impressive and definitely pointed to greater and more exciting things to come from the new lineup. (Accordingly, the follow up album The Way Up is an absolutely astounding almost epic work that defies description, and one of his June performances of this album in Korea has been taped for DVD release -- can't wait!)

While the video quality of this DVD has its fair share of visible glitches, the audio is superlative. With 4.1 DD and DTS soundtracks, this DVD was mixed without the center channel, and compared to his two previous concert DVDs, it has a very open and ambient sound. Unlike the Boz Scaggs DVD, this sound mix takes the perspective from out in the audience and conveys the ambience of the concert hall very well. Dynamically, the sound is very clean with just the right amount of extension. In fact, when I saw Metheny earlier this year, I kept thinking how much I preferred the sound of the DVD over what his live concert rig sounded like.

The Bruce Springsteen DVD was filmed near the start of his 2002 tour in support of The Rising. Even though Springsteen has long been one of best live rock performers ever with one of the best jam bands around to back him up (they typically rehearse over 200 songs before going on tour, and Springsteen at any given moment might launch into any of them), this was the first time that he released a video that documented an entire concert (his concerts are typically over three hours long, and the playlist will vary from show to show). Even though his previous Live In New York City DVD probably did a better job at chronicling his "greatest hits," the Barcelona show was probably a better overall performance, and it highlighted The Rising which IMO perfectly captured the scope and meaning of 9/11, without resorting to scapegoating and poseur posturing that made its way into other 9/11-themed albums. The audio and video quality are both subpar, but the power of the performance is still evident.
  • 08-24-2005, 05:31 PM
    kexodusc
    I don't have a favorite, but of the 19 concert DVD's I own, these are the top 5

Tori Amos - "Welcome to Sunny Florida" is a pretty good snapshot of what her live performances are like, and how she turns a stadium into an intimate club setting. Not all her best songs made it, and the sound quality is only average or so (no DTS), but excellent all the same.

Dream Theater -"Live at Budokan", awesome performance, excellent Dolby Digital track, and a fantastic set. An absolute must for any DT fan, and highly recommended for long-time Rush fans

Rush In Rio - just great.

Metallica - S&M - This should have been their swan song...what a send-off it would have been...remembered for all the right reasons. It's amazing how well their old music works with a symphony accompanying.

Allman Brothers - Live at the Beacon Theater - These guys are incredible...excellent from beginning to end...Warren Haynes may very well be the hardest working and most talented musician alive
  • 08-24-2005, 07:42 PM
    JSE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Dream Theater -"Live at Budokan"

That's probably my #2. Truly amazing

Some other greats, I have A LOT in my library.

Primus - Hallucino Genetics Live 2004. - If you like Primus, enjoy!

John Fogherty - Premonition. Not a huge fan but a great DVD

Roy Orbison - B&W How can you not like Roy?

Crossroads Guitar Festival - Cray, Vaughn (Jimmie), Guy, Clapton, King, Santana and even Steve Vai and others. What more could you asked for?

SRV - Live from Austin City Limits 95'. A must for any collection. The sound and picture pretty much suck but it's Stevie. You still get lost in his playing.

Norah Jones - Live in New Orleans. Put that puppy in the DVD player guys and your gonna get some from the old lady. And it's a great DVD.

Matchbox 20 - Show. I know, I know. But it's a good concert and the sound is pretty good.

Los Lobos - Live at the Filmore. Even if you don't like Los Lobos, you will like this DVD. Awesome sound and they really rock. Yes, they rock!

Depeche Mode - One Night in Paris. I was a huge fan in highschool and saw them about 5 or 6 times live. Great shows. This DVD has pretty good sound and video. Dave Gahan is the man when it comes to front men. The only real negative is they did not include some of their more lesser known "fan hits".

Anyway, just a few of my favorites.

JSE
  • 08-25-2005, 03:39 AM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    "Patty Labelle Live from the Apollo Theater. Watching this women sing......"

Can't we clean up our spelling and language usage just a bit here? Shouldn't this be----and correct me if I am wrong----watching this WOMAN not WOMEN sing?

I'll clean up my spelling when you learn to fact check your reviews and they are less than novel size. Deal?
  • 08-25-2005, 09:29 AM
    Lexmark3200
    "Metallica - S&M - This should have been their swan song...what a send-off it would have been...remembered for all the right reasons. It's amazing how well their old music works with a symphony accompanying."

Hey Kexo,

I'll supply my DVD review of S&M in a little while for you to take a look at; I wrote it for three different magazines but Im not sure I ever posted it on this site......I agree with what you said....an awesome live concert man!
  • 08-25-2005, 10:22 AM
    Lexmark3200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I don't have a favorite, but of the 19 concert DVD's I own, these are the top 5

Tori Amos - "Welcome to Sunny Florida" is a pretty good snapshot of what her live performances are like, and how she turns a stadium into an intimate club setting. Not all her best songs made it, and the sound quality is only average or so (no DTS), but excellent all the same.

Dream Theater -"Live at Budokan", awesome performance, excellent Dolby Digital track, and a fantastic set. An absolute must for any DT fan, and highly recommended for long-time Rush fans

Rush In Rio - just great.

Metallica - S&M - This should have been their swan song...what a send-off it would have been...remembered for all the right reasons. It's amazing how well their old music works with a symphony accompanying.

Allman Brothers - Live at the Beacon Theater - These guys are incredible...excellent from beginning to end...Warren Haynes may very well be the hardest working and most talented musician alive

Hey Kexo,

When you get a chance, check out the review of S&M I prepared and pulled from my archives just for you in this forum!
  • 08-25-2005, 10:37 AM
    Lexmark3200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam
    those are your spellings in your patriot review, not mine. go look it up in the post, no respelling, that's how you spelled them, unless you've gone back and edited the post. you apparently like the word: "admittingly" a lot as you use it in your other reviews. I believe, Shouldn't this be----and correct me if I am wrong----admittedly not admittingly?

No, my word was correct in the context of the discussion. Unless you changed it yourself for purposes within the window of this thread.
  • 08-25-2005, 10:37 AM
    JSE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam
    those are your spellings in your patriot review, not mine. go look it up in the post, no respelling, that's how you spelled them, unless you've gone back and edited the post. you apparently like the word: "admittingly" a lot as you use it in your other reviews. I believe, Shouldn't this be----and correct me if I am wrong----admittedly not admittingly?

I blame the schools! :D
  • 08-25-2005, 10:38 AM
    Lexmark3200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSE
    I blame the schools! :D

Yeah......if you were HALF the writer I am.......

NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!!!!
  • 08-25-2005, 10:39 AM
    Lexmark3200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSE
    No smack back, just squirming!

YOU DA MAN!

JSE

No, it was a pretty hard crack back....my damn hand hurts! He has a thick head!

YOU DAMN SKIPPY I'M DA MAN!!!!!!!!
  • 08-25-2005, 10:39 AM
    JSE
    Quote:

And a smack back can be just as painful and scorning, as I cracked his ass back with a wallop catching him on the fact that he respelled my words for effect.....

No smack back, just squirming!

YOU DA MAN!

JSE
  • 08-25-2005, 11:17 AM
    Lexmark3200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSE
    I hope I am half the writer you are given the length of your reviews.

BTW, I would interested in seeing your reviews of S&M in those other magazines you write for. What magazines are they?

JSE

In depth reviews are supposed to be lengthy. Why so interested in S&M all of a sudden? Did you enjoy the concert?
  • 08-25-2005, 11:21 AM
    JSE
    Quote:

Yeah......if you were HALF the writer I am.......

NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!!!!

I hope I am half the writer you are given the length of your reviews.

BTW, I would interested in seeing your reviews of S&M in those other magazines you write for. What magazines are they?

JSE
  • 08-25-2005, 11:37 AM
    JSE
    Quote:

In depth reviews are supposed to be lengthy. Why so interested in S&M all of a sudden? Did you enjoy the concert?

What, no names of magazines? Simple question. Should be a simple answer. I'm a huge Metallica fan. That's why I'm interested. So, what about those names? I'm guessing you will squirm and not give any names but maybe I am wrong. Who knows? Oh yeah, you know!

JSE
  • 08-25-2005, 11:53 AM
    Lexmark3200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSE
    What, no names of magazines? Simple question. Should be a simple answer. I'm a huge Metallica fan. That's why I'm interested. So, what about those names? I'm guessing you will squirm and not give any names but maybe I am wrong. Who knows? Oh yeah, you know!

JSE

Squirm......lol......maybe I'lll keep ya guessing because it's just so much fun to get underya skin....Mr. Big Metallica Fan!
  • 08-25-2005, 12:02 PM
    JSE
    Quote:

Squirm......lol......maybe I'lll keep ya guessing because it's just so much fun to get underya skin....Mr. Big Metallica Fan!

Of course you will, you big fibber! Would those reviews be under Afruti, Lexmark3200 or DJ Scotty? Google is having a hard time locking on. :D

JSE
  • 08-25-2005, 01:01 PM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSE
    Man, I heard that smack in Houston! :D

We felt the pressure wave here in the bay area, made ma head snap back!