Kam

TMNT and The Host

Caught these two this week.

TMNT - you really need to be familiar with the turtles to get this. they don't do much of a backstory and the relationships are already in place with everyone, including the demise of shredder. I'm guessing this is taking place after the live action movies? i haven't read the comic in a decade plus, so i don't know where the storyline there is, but the movie just throws you right into the storyline mid-stream. at least that's how it feels.
    the animation now, is pretty darn cool. it looks great, and the action scenes are a lot of fun. it's an enjoyable movie for fans of the turtles, but i could see someone who has had no exposure to them being pretty lost for the most part in this movie. they introduce characters like april and the dude in the hockey mask guy (forget his name, april's bf and the turtle's friend) with the assumption that the audience already knows who they are and how they relate to the turtles. as a stand alone movie, i'd say it fails pretty heavily, but as part of the tmnt storyline, it's good fun. marginally recommended for fans of TMNT.

The Host (korea) - highly recommended! now this was one fun movie! it's a great monster movie in the vein of godzilla and is just a whole lot of fun. i was smiling through most of the movie and just couldnt help but laugh out loud at some scenes, as gruesome and "real-life" sad as they would be, they are freakin' hysterical in the movie. basically an an american army surgeon orders his korean counterpart to dump a couple hundred gallons of formaldehyde down the drain into the han river. he doesn't care about the consequences. ten years later and those consequences take the form of a giant lizard monster thingamajig. a family owns a food stand by the han river and one beautiful day the monster finally rises and kills a number of park go-ers, and kidnaps a few too, including the young girl of the family. they are all quarantined because it it believed the monster is a host to a virus. the fam escapes and goes looking for the young daughter. hilarity ensues. along with a few jump-in-your-seat moments. I really liked it, and if it's playing around you, definitely check it out before it gets remade by hollywood in a few minutes.

peace
    k2
    /create

Forum Regular
    Yah, The Host really worked for me as a popcorn flick, although I saw it in an empty theater here in flyover country and I get the feeling that it would've played better in a packed house. Some of the pacing seemed just a little off but that probably would've worked with an appreciative audience.

I actually caught a little of the first live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the other day and was struck by how dark it was-- both figuratively and literally (I guess that's to be expected when half of yr sets are in the sewer). A lot of what I've heard about this new one is how much closer it's supposed to be to the vision of the comic books, but to be honest, the 1990 version already seemed pretty intense for a kids' movie. Is it my imagination, or was there sort of a movement to make edgier fare for the young ones around that time? I'm thinking Return to Oz up through maybe Nightmare Before Christmas...? I guess that's sort of the case now, too, with Harry Potter, Lemony Snicket, et al (or maybe it's always been the case)...

-Coop

i didn't read your posts because I am going to see The Host on sunday.. looking forward to it! my film nerd buddy loved it..

Damn you Kam....

I guess it's off to see "The Host" tonight.... grumble, mumble... (more damn money spent)... grumble mumble...

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    Caught these two this week.

TMNT - you really need to be familiar with the turtles to get this. they don't do much of a backstory and the relationships are already in place with everyone, including the demise of shredder. I'm guessing this is taking place after the live action movies? i haven't read the comic in a decade plus, so i don't know where the storyline there is, but the movie just throws you right into the storyline mid-stream. at least that's how it feels.
    the animation now, is pretty darn cool. it looks great, and the action scenes are a lot of fun. it's an enjoyable movie for fans of the turtles, but i could see someone who has had no exposure to them being pretty lost for the most part in this movie. they introduce characters like april and the dude in the hockey mask guy (forget his name, april's bf and the turtle's friend) with the assumption that the audience already knows who they are and how they relate to the turtles. as a stand alone movie, i'd say it fails pretty heavily, but as part of the tmnt storyline, it's good fun. marginally recommended for fans of TMNT.

peace
    k2
    Casey Jones was the guy in the hockey mask. I must confess. I grew up on the Turtles and watched the cartoons just about every single day, plus all the toys. Yes, i'm young...27 and when the turtles first came out I was 8. I certainly was SHOCKED to hear them making this animated film because I did not realize there was still a following. The live action films were horrible to say the least. They got even worse with each sequel. I think that the premise behind the Turtles is fairly interesting and works well in the animated world, but the trailer for this just looks silly, although I will say that they seemed to get alot of the details correct and it appeared like the people making this film actually knew something about the Turtles..maybe they also watched the cartoon.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    I've been wanting to see the host since it released but it still hasn't been shown in my area.

Saw "The Host" last night..

Went to the local "art houst" and saw "The Host" last night. The ole lady was realllll skeptical, she wanted "Pan's Labyrinth". Anyhow, we saw the movie and enjoyed the hell out of it. It was fun, funny, pointed, political and scary all at the same time. No spoilers but it was well worth seeing. Best big monster flick I've seen in a looooong time. Beat the hell out of our "Godzilla" of a few years ago. Special effect were great, up until the end... Great story about fatherhood and the strength of family and alike.

Da Worfster

some favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Went to the local "art houst" and saw "The Host" last night. The ole lady was realllll skeptical, she wanted "Pan's Labyrinth". Anyhow, we saw the movie and enjoyed the hell out of it. It was fun, funny, pointed, political and scary all at the same time. No spoilers but it was well worth seeing. Best big monster flick I've seen in a looooong time. Beat the hell out of our "Godzilla" of a few years ago. Special effect were great, up until the end... Great story about fatherhood and the strength of family and alike.

Da Worfster
    Hopefully that buys you some favor for next time when you want to see a certain movie and she might not...you can say..."yeah, well remember how I wanted to see THE HOST and it was awesome"

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101

Da Worfster
    you wouldn't have gone wrong with Pan's Labyrinth either, that movie is phenomenal. i loved it alot but its in a totally different vein than The Host. i'd also highly highly highly highly reccomend The Devil's Backbone (by the same guy as pan's labyrinth - he also did hellboy), it's great too.
    /create

Yeah..

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Hopefully that buys you some favor for next time when you want to see a certain movie and she might not...you can say..."yeah, well remember how I wanted to see THE HOST and it was awesome"
    Sighhh....
    I guess I gotta few more bucks in the bank with that choice... The park scene was/is amazing...

Da Worfster

Thread Information