Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which DVD's are a HT must have?

So which DVD's out there are considered to have an excellent soundtrack, great story and is just a must have for HT?

Forum Regular
    GLADIATOR (Signature Series, DTS-ES track)
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Terminator 3
    Pirates of the Carribean
    Black Hawk Down
    ...to name a few, and not necessarily in that order. Although Gladiator is tops.

Saving Private Ryan
    I,Robot
    Chicago
    The Italian Job
    Star Wars
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High

I already own Gladiator and LOTR trilogy. I've passed by Pirates a few times at BB and will probably pick it up next time I'm there,especially since it's DTS. I've saw T3 and BHD so many times on cable I just pass em up now. Thanks for the reply

Anymore great ones out there anyone can think of?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Saving Private Ryan
    I,Robot
    Chicago
    The Italian Job
    Star Wars
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    I already own the SW trilogy and will be picking up the new trilogy in November.(There's gonna be a I,II,III trilogy right?) I just had Italian job in my hand last week for $9.99 and I've seen it so many times on cable I put it back. I may grab it next time. I will definately pick up I,Robot. Thanks

Here's a few that I would add...

Master and Commander - This DVD is the best reference disc that I've heard because it does so many things exceptionally well, and it's one helluva good movie as well. The disc contains some of the best surround effect you'll ever hear with excellent bass extension as well. The sounds seamlessly connect the front and back channels, and will reward you in spades for having your speakers properly aligned, voice matched, and level matched. It will still sound good with a compromised speaker setup, but it won't give you that startlingly realistic effect that a properly done setup will convey. The soundtrack also conveys the dialog and ambient cues with great clarity.

U-571 - Reasonably entertaining movie. The DTS track on this DVD has good imaging and a lot of good bass effect

Blue Planet - An IMAX DVD with an exceptionally well mixed soundtrack that has pinpoint imaging cues along with great range in the sound effects. The shuttle launch scene alone makes a very impressive demo. Other IMAX movie soundtracks that I've heard are done every bit as well as this one.

Saving Private Ryan - Another tour de force demo disc with a lot of surround activity everywhere and effective usage of the LFE track

Monsters, Inc. - Pretty much any of the Pixar DVDs will give you a very clean sounding soundtrack with a lot of good surround imaging cues and bass activity

Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition (out of print) - Great sci-fi flick that works in all facets. The newer DVD version got rid of the superlative DTS-ES soundtrack that comes with this version. The DD track is still pretty good, but unless they reworked it with the current Extreme Edition DVD, the DTS track that comes with the Ultimate Edition is the way to go.

The Italian Job - Smart, entertaining movie. Very impressive and well balanced soundtrack that does equally well with music, dialog, and sound effects.

Words of caution - the LOTR:FOTR theatrical version DVD has an audio track with levels set way too high with occasional distortion audible; if you go with any of the Lord of the Rings DVDs, you should seek out the extended editions because of their higher video bitrates and better soundtracks.

Also, Star Wars has a big-time goof-up in the surround channels -- the music in the L/R surrounds is reversed! This creates a disorienting effect with the music (the sound effects go to the correct channels). The DVD version had a lot of additional tinkering done to the soundtrack that I don't like very much either -- i.e. music levels got mixed way down, new effects got added to the point that they don't sound right in some scenes, dialog intelligibility problems in a few scenes with big variations in the levels in others, etc. Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi don't have these problems and sound quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Here's a few that I would add...

Master and Commander - This DVD is the best reference disc that I've heard because it does so many things exceptionally well, and it's one helluva good movie as well. The disc contains some of the best surround effect you'll ever hear with excellent bass extension as well. The sounds seamlessly connect the front and back channels, and will reward you in spades for having your speakers properly aligned, voice matched, and level matched. It will still sound good with a compromised speaker setup, but it won't give you that startlingly realistic effect that a properly done setup will convey. The soundtrack also conveys the dialog and ambient cues with great clarity.

U-571 - Reasonably entertaining movie. The DTS track on this DVD has good imaging and a lot of good bass effect

Blue Planet - An IMAX DVD with an exceptionally well mixed soundtrack that has pinpoint imaging cues along with great range in the sound effects. The shuttle launch scene alone makes a very impressive demo. Other IMAX movie soundtracks that I've heard are done every bit as well as this one.

Saving Private Ryan - Another tour de force demo disc with a lot of surround activity everywhere and effective usage of the LFE track

Monsters, Inc. - Pretty much any of the Pixar DVDs will give you a very clean sounding soundtrack with a lot of good surround imaging cues and bass activity

Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition (out of print) - Great sci-fi flick that works in all facets. The newer DVD version got rid of the superlative DTS-ES soundtrack that comes with this version. The DD track is still pretty good, but unless they reworked it with the current Extreme Edition DVD, the DTS track that comes with the Ultimate Edition is the way to go.

The Italian Job - Smart, entertaining movie. Very impressive and well balanced soundtrack that does equally well with music, dialog, and sound effects.

Words of caution - the LOTR:FOTR theatrical version DVD has an audio track with levels set way too high with occasional distortion audible; if you go with any of the Lord of the Rings DVDs, you should seek out the extended editions because of their higher video bitrates and better soundtracks.

Also, Star Wars has a big-time goof-up in the surround channels -- the music in the L/R surrounds is reversed! This creates a disorienting effect with the music (the sound effects go to the correct channels). The DVD version had a lot of additional tinkering done to the soundtrack that I don't like very much either -- i.e. music levels got mixed way down, new effects got added to the point that they don't sound right in some scenes, dialog intelligibility problems in a few scenes with big variations in the levels in others, etc. Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi don't have these problems and sound quite good.

I few of those I already own. I'm sold on M&C. I will pick that one up for sure. Unfortunately, I already purchased the LOTR theatrical trilogy last week.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

Hmmm, I hadn't heard about this problem before. We watched this not long after the dvd release. My nephew who's a little hard of hearing was over so we had it cranked. I heard the distortion but I thought my amp was clipping.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Heat, Roy Orbison Black & White, All Star wars movies, Metallica Cunning Stunts, Pearl Harbor, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Blackhawk Down, Gladiator, U-571, Armageddon....
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Armageddon, I saw it once but don't remember it. Does it have a nice soundtrack?

I'll be grabbing Das Boot on superbit thanks to the thread on it. What about Lawrence of Arabia?
    I've heard a few mention it. Is it a must have?

Anybody else got some must have DVD's in mind?

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Kill Bill Vol 1&2

JSE
    The Incredibles

JSE

Kill Bill comes on cable so much I've lost interest. Just watched vol.2 a couple of days ago. I already have The Incedibles. That is definately a must have for HT.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Abyss. I thought this movie had terrific sound and is a killer for dvd players with all of the murkiness and blacks. Excellent story to boot.

The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" is a great dts demo disc, although the surrounds can be a bit over-the-top sometimes.

Indiana Jones "The Last Crusade" has very good bass extension and terrific surround effects. When Indy swings out of the window of one room to the room Connery is being held in, the rain pans from the front to the rear and back. Cool stuff.

The Fifth Element
    Jurassic Park I & III
    Star Wars I - VI
    Finding Nemo
    The Lion King (1 & 1-1/2)
    Genesis - Live at Wembley Stadium
    Star Gate (also SG1 the series)
    Toy Story
    I-Robot
    Lord of the Rings I-III
    Twister
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I have most of those mentioned titles. If I remember I rented Star gate, watched the first 5 minutes and returned it. Maybe I should've gave it a chance. I picked up The Fifth Element last week and I'm waiting for a good time(no wife and kids at home)to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I have most of those mentioned titles. If I remember I rented Star gate, watched the first 5 minutes and returned it. Maybe I should've gave it a chance. I picked up The Fifth Element last week and I'm waiting for a good time(no wife and kids at home)to watch it.
    I actually prefer the SG1 series to the original movie. The sound quality is better and the action moves quicker. It's on SciFi every night at 6pm EST.
    The Fifth Element has very good sound. Maybe it's time for wifee to take the kids shopping this weekend?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I usually get 1 day week of ear bleeding levels in. Maybe I'll send her shopping to pick up my little list of DVD's I got going.Ha Ha

Has anyone seen Hero with Jet Li?

Yep. Good flick, although not as good as its obvious influence, Crouching Tiger.

Forum Regular
    The extended versions of Lord of the Rings films also have a DTS-ES track not included on the shorter cuts. For many reasons, it's hard to watch the theatrical cuts after experiencing the extended versions of these classic ht epics.
    Others I thought about were...
    X2: X-Men United - Lively DTS track
    Top Gun - The new DTS-ES mix will give your ht a workout!
    We Were Soldiers - Only DD-EX, but a pretty engrossing soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Defshep
    The extended versions of Lord of the Rings films also have a DTS-ES track not included on the shorter cuts. For many reasons, it's hard to watch the theatrical cuts after experiencing the extended versions of these classic ht epics.
    Others I thought about were...
    X2: X-Men United - Lively DTS track
    Top Gun - The new DTS-ES mix will give your ht a workout!
    We Were Soldiers - Only DD-EX, but a pretty engrossing soundtrack.
    I already have the X2 and Top Gun. I'm pissed about the LOTR. That's what I get for being cheap. I compared the two and should've went for the DTS in the first place. The theatrical versions only came to $40 vs $90 for the extended.

Forum Regular
    L.J., if there's a used dvd outlet near you, it's definitely worth selling your theatrical versions for the extended ones. I save a lot of cash buying used flicks. I'm telling you, I never watched the original releases again once the longer cuts came out. They really are that much better. This coming from a casual fan of the fantasy genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Defshep
    L.J., if there's a used dvd outlet near you, it's definitely worth selling your theatrical versions for the extended ones. I save a lot of cash buying used flicks. I'm telling you, I never watched the original releases again once the longer cuts came out. They really are that much better. This coming from a casual fan of the fantasy genre.
    I've had alot of people tell me that. I should've listened. I may give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Armageddon, I saw it once but don't remember it. Does it have a nice soundtrack?

I'll be grabbing Das Boot on superbit thanks to the thread on it. What about Lawrence of Arabia?
    I've heard a few mention it. Is it a must have?
    Lawrence belongs in everyone's DVD collection, but it's a must-see on the big screen. The better rep theaters occasionally will cue up a 70mm print of Lawrence, and those are the screenings that you absolutely should look for. That movie was originally filmed in 70mm and on the big screen with a 70mm print, the image clarity is jawdroppingly vivid. It's stunning how good that movie looks on the big screen.

The DVD that you should look to is the Superbit version. It's the only version that was supervised by Robert Harris (who did the negative restoration on Lawrence in 1989, and basically saved the film from permanent loss), and this transfer corrects the color balances that were not done quite right with the other versions. The single-disc DVD should be avoided because it squeezes a nearly 4-hour movie onto a single-disc. The original limited edition DVD release has some great documentary features, vintage newsreel footage, and a booklet. The image quality is not quite as good as the Superbit version, but the Superbit DVD also lacks the supplementals that you get with the original limited edition DVD. I own both of them, but primarily because Lawrence is one of my all-time favorite movies and I want both the Superbit DVD's image quality and all of extras that come with the limited edition DVD.

So, I went and picked up I, Robot, Master&Commander, Hero and Jurrasic Park(DTS) at BB this afternoon. I had Italian Job in my hand again and I just couldn't do it. I've seen it soo many times. I'll be ordering Das Boot and Lawrence of Arabia today. Most of the other mentioned titles I already own.

Anybody else got some must have DVD's in mind?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information