RGA
    Forum Regular

Dr. Who is coming...

get ready for the Dalek Invasion. For those of you who don;t know the show a brief history of the longest running Science Fiction show in the world. http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sps/intro.html

The new series for those who are fans but don't know about it... http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

Maybe to the rest of the English-speaking world, but not yet to the U.S.

I read that the new Doctor Who series is set to premiere on the BBC in two weeks, which is good news. And I also heard that CBC will pick up the new series in Canada. However, thus far there have been no takers in the U.S. Sci-Fi Channel's the most obvious candidate, because of their high market coverage and they did air the Tom Baker episodes several years ago (after which the episodes got shifted over to the then fledgling BBC America channel). But, these days they've been developing a lot of their own series and only picking up first run shows when they recently aired over syndication (i.e. Babylon 5, Farscape, and Stargate SG-1). The new Doctor Who could also air it on BBC America, but that channel has very limited coverage.

As curious as I am about the new series, a lot of stateside Doctor Who fans are not happy at all with how the BBC has gone about selling the new series. Keep in mind that the original Doctor Who series mostly aired in the U.S. on public television. These stations that carried the series had to attract subscribers to keep Doctor Who on the air, so it was a volunteer effort in many cities to raise pledges and keep the series broadcasts going.

In conjunction with the new series, the BBC has decided to package the rights to the new series and the classic series together, and in the process, they've cancelled the broadcast rights from all of the PBS stations that still air the original Doctor Who episodes. Some of these stations have aired Doctor Who uninterrupted for over 25 years. The local PBS affiliate in my area had two Doctor Who pledge drives every year since 1980. They pulled in former cast members, got volunteers from a local fan club to man the phones, and gave away all sorts of collectibles for their subscribers. And this is for a series that had not produced any new episodes since 1989. Last year, the local affiliate had just finished airing the Jon Pertwee cycle, and in anticipation of starting the Tom Baker cycle, they brought Baker in for a pledge night when they aired the top five Tom Baker episodes according to a fan poll. Right after that, the BBC announced the new series, and the station could not secure the broadcast rights, so they quit showing Doctor Who after a nearly 24 year run on that station.

The BBC knows that public television stations cannot shell out the big bucks that a commercial broadcast or cable network can, so in pursuit of larger rights fees they've basically abandoned the very stations that put Doctor Who on the map in the U.S. to begin with. Right now, it's a bad situation. No one's picked up the new series in the U.S., and the BBC's not allowing long-time affiliates to broadcast the reruns. A lot of the fan groups that have worked with the local PBS stations over the years are pissed, and there's no telling when the new series will come to the U.S. It's not like Doctor Who has a high awareness level and a huge pent up audience in the U.S., so it's pretty puzzling why the BBC is going about things the way they have.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well I suppose they have a right to try and sell the new series for high bidding - and by pulling the rights to the old series leaves less competition for the new series. A major network if they carry the new Dr. Who doesn't want to be paying big bucks only to have PBS airing Tom Baker episodes.

Of course if the major networks don't pick up the new series then the Dr. Who brass has cut off the little presence they had completely. PBS like stations in Canada (well Seattle fed to Canada) showed a lot of British shows like Faulty Towers, the Black Adder(which I just picked up the complete series used for $10.00Cdn on DVD) and I, Claudius (maybe the best mini-seres out there).

They may be confident that the US networks will wait to see how it does in the rest of the world before trying it out -- SG 1, Babylon 5, and Farscape are nothing special and have almost no presnece in Canada except on the Space Network (which is an extra cable channel not everyone will pay for).

You guys get the CBC no? Dr. Who is here April 5th about a week after the British airing. Frankly I'm not expecting a whole lot but I believe they've filmed and entire season or will be so someone is taking a gamble that the series has something to offer because usually they run pilots or something to make sure people will like it.

If they wanted success in the U.S. presumably they would have previewed it to a lot of Americans to see if it would have a shot to fly. And if not then they should have let PBS keep the rights...I suspect they're hoping it will be a front line Sci-fi that will crack the major line-up...judging by most American TV which is mostly utter crap they probably figure that hey if Dr. Who turns out to be utter crap it will at least be crap with an accent.

You're probably right about BBC not wanting competition for the new series. But, unlike other series, Doctor Who has depended on fan clubs, volunteers, and pledge drives to stay on the air. Cutting those PBS stations off also cuts off the link to these groups who've kept Doctor Who on the radar all these years since the original series was cancelled.

We do not get CBC stateside, except in border towns like Seattle and Buffalo. Brit TV has primarily gone to PBS and BBC America.

I think their best shot in the U.S. is Sci-Fi Channel. But, Sci-Fi's original series have done phenomenally well in the ratings, and their Friday night lineup of Stargate and Battlestar Galactica (which they jointly produce with several European networks) has higher viewership than Enterprise, despite going head-to-head with that series and having a split audience. They may be less interested in paying a huge fee to pick up an original series owned by someone else, when they've had such success with their own productions, where they own the rebroadcast rights and get the DVD revenue as well.

Rumor has it that the series may yet go back to PBS, but they don't have the deep pockets that other commercial networks would have. So when Doctor Who makes its way to the U.S. basically depends on how greedy the BBC decides to get.

Also, I read that the Daleks will not return this season, and might not for a while because of a rights dispute with one of the original writers.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The only thing I can think of is that because Dr. Who has been gone for so long and that most Americans have never even heard fo the show let alone seen it -- by taking the old ones off PBS people won't mistake the old for the new. The new series supposedly has front line production values rather than the camp special effects of old.

Sort of like a Dr. Who: The Next Generation err the Next Regeneration

I'm surprised the CBC is not picked up in the U.S. (well I'm not overly surprised) but where are you guys getting more even handed news -- CNN is sis-boom-ba ra-ra ra-America is God's child and the rest of the world is Satanistic kinda deal. Okay not quite but lies of omission are still lies.

Did you know if they made a Dr. Who reunion in ~1993 called Dimensions in Time which had all the Doctors from Pertwee to McCoy? I missed that. This site says it was a working title and it looks like it was made judging by baker's costome and age http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sps/serials/dit.html

Really I only like the 3, 4 and 5th Doctors (never saw the 2nd Doctor) kinda liked the original. Didn;t like Colin Baker much and the Sylvester was pretty good but the shows were so stupid -- a giant licorce Allsort (SP?) creature??? wow that was bad.

I always wanted a Who cameo on TNG...At the end of an episode I was hoping the Tardis would materialize Tom Baker to pop his head out to a stunned TNG Bridge crew --- say a line or two (Sorry wrong place or have you seen any giant can-openers with long toilet plungers sticking out the front) get back in and leave -- or offer Picard a jelly baby.

Frankly I'd be happy if it aired on PBS -- anything - right now it comes on at something like 1am on channel 107(which I don't get).

Eccleston is a good Actor, high production values a bit more depth could work...but then Paul McGann was an accomplished actor as well - so it's going to need exceptional writing and not be campy -- a slightly serious Pertwee like Doctor might help.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I remember seeing "Dr. Who" mentioned in Starlog magazine all the time back in the 80's, but I've never seen a single whole episode.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I'm surprised the CBC is not picked up in the U.S. (well I'm not overly surprised) but where are you guys getting more even handed news -- CNN is sis-boom-ba ra-ra ra-America is God's child and the rest of the world is Satanistic kinda deal. Okay not quite but lies of omission are still lies.
    Why would it surprise you that Americans aren't interested in Canadian broadcasts? A huge portion of the programming on the CBC is the same stuff that we get on our broadcast channels (at least up to the mandated limits of non-Canadian content), so it doesn't really add anything new.

As usual, you should stick to the topic and not get wound into these hyperbolic tangents because your characterization of CNN is just ridiculous. Among the American all-news channels, CNN is by far the most even handed one, especially considering that they block out time to pick up the daily coverage from CNN International, which is more globally focused. If CNN is a pack of lies, then what do you call Fox News?

And comparing CBC to CNN is not an apples to apples comparison because CBC is a general broadcasting network (I know that they also have an all-news affiliate, but that's not what you were referring to). And it's not like CNN is the only source of news in the U.S. I don't think that we need the CBC's nightly news to rescue us from the "lies" that the rest of the U.S. media purportedly feeds us. Last time I checked, the CBC is a government subsidized network. The only U.S. equivalent is PBS, and it seems to me that you've never watched The News Hour before. Check that out before you go spouting off about even handed coverage.

Did you know if they made a Dr. Who reunion in ~1993 called Dimensions in Time which had all the Doctors from Pertwee to McCoy? I missed that. This site says it was a working title and it looks like it was made judging by baker's costome and age http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sps/serials/dit.html
    If it was, I haven't seen it. My local PBS affiliate was very good about unearthing a lot of gems like that, but I can't remember them airing something like that. They've broadcast several of the "found" and color-restored episodes, including some where other episodes from multiparters are still missing. And a local video store that does PAL transfers of Doctor Who episodes unavailable in the U.S. had a 1997 Comic Relief Doctor Who episode starring Rowan Atkinson, Richard Grant, Hugh Grant, and others as the Doctor (the Doctor got killed multiple times in that episode and regenerated repeatedly). Over there, I've seen other Doctor Who related items such as The Stranger series, which starred Colin Baker and Peter Davidson.

Frankly I'd be happy if it aired on PBS -- anything - right now it comes on at something like 1am on channel 107(which I don't get).
    I would be happy as well because I'm not sure that Doctor Who is something that would play too well on broadcast or cable channels, which tend to attract viewers more accustomed to lots of action with their sci-fi. Pretty much if the show can't get ratings, then it gets cancelled, and the Doctor Who showings on Fox and Sci-Fi Channel have not scored very well. On PBS, it comes down to whether the show can raise pledges and spur membership drives, and Doctor Who's audience has repeatedly demonstrated that they will support the stations that support the show.

We'll see how they tweaked with Doctor Who because even in Britain I'm not sure Doctor Who is a sure fire hit. Consider that Battlestar Galactica is a coproduction with one of the British networks. It's been a hit over there and they show it over there weeks before the episodes air on Sci-Fi Channel in the U.S.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well i watched battlestar today and it was pretty flat - first one I've seen and I wish they'd stop these shows with the handycam "look we're trying to be and art-house flick" camera style. The more TV I've seen lately the more I just want to cancel cable all-together.

As for CBC I was talking about their news programs which have aired certain things not shown on CNN. Fox is awful. This isn't to say that the CBC is credible all on its own - but they can serve as checks against the other broadcasts such as the Passionate Eye and the Fifth Estate which had a number of interesting things about good ol' George Bush.

The CNN I have one headline for you "America Strikes Back" in quasi Star Wars Letterring for several months. Blaggards and Tacky blaggards to boot.

As for CBC I was talking about their news programs which have aired certain things not shown on CNN. Fox is awful. This isn't to say that the CBC is credible all on its own - but they can serve as checks against the other broadcasts such as the Passionate Eye and the Fifth Estate which had a number of interesting things about good ol' George Bush.
    Like I said, CNN is not the only source for news in the U.S. On my satellite service (Directv), I get the Link network, which airs Democracy Now-- a nightly news program from a very left-wing perspective. And on PBS, Frontline is an investigative news series that has not exactly been friendly to Bush administration policies, The News Hour is one of the best balanced news programs out there, and two of the PBS affiliates in my area also broadcast the BBC World News.

Checks and balances -- you're presuming that they don't exist stateside. Fact is that we've got a glut of media sources as it is. Adding another voice to the mix is always a good thing, but I doubt that it would make an impact. Besides, Directv and several cable systems (at least around where I live) already carry the Newsworld International network, which airs reports from the CBC and various European outlets.

Forum Regular
    Was Tom Baker the dude with the long brown jacket?. If i remember correctly, the episodes with the dude with brown hair and the long brown coat were the best. Buyt i was just like 13 or 14 when i last saw those. Most of my favorite all time shows are bbc productions, including Red Dwarf, Black Adder, Dr Who, and even Blake's 7(worst special fx ever, but fun to watch.) What was the name of the other arch enemy of Dr Who besides the Daleks. They were another robot species, I want to say psylons, but i think that was BattleStar Galactica.

Quote Originally Posted by MomurdA
    Was Tom Baker the dude with the long brown jacket?. If i remember correctly, the episodes with the dude with brown hair and the long brown coat were the best. Buyt i was just like 13 or 14 when i last saw those. Most of my favorite all time shows are bbc productions, including Red Dwarf, Black Adder, Dr Who, and even Blake's 7(worst special fx ever, but fun to watch.) What was the name of the other arch enemy of Dr Who besides the Daleks. They were another robot species, I want to say psylons, but i think that was BattleStar Galactica.
    Tom Baker was the guy who had the long jacket with the long scarf. His reign as the Doctor was arguably the series at its creative peak (a pre-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Douglas Adams was one of the show's writers during that era) and definitely at its height of popularity. It was during Tom Baker's run that Doctor Who began airing in the U.S. on PBS and a few commercial broadcast stations. The Tom Baker episodes remain the most frequently repeated Doctor Who episodes (on Sci-Fi Channel and BBC America, the Tom Baker adventures were the only Doctor Who episodes that they ever aired), so most American viewers likely see him as THE Doctor, even though seven other actors have played the role.

The other robot foes that popped up all the time on Doctor Who were the Cybermen.

Forum Regular
    Oh yea, the cybermen. Hahaha. I used to watch that show all the time. I didnt know it was ever on scifi or bbc america.
    a pre-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Douglas Adams was one of the show's writers during that era)
    Anybody seen the teaser for this movie coming out this summer? Doesnt show any clips from the movie, which is usually a bad sign. Read the books when i was younger. Funny stuff. Hollywood probably fooked everything up tho, as usual.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Feeling nostalgic I put on "Dr. Who: The Deadly Assasin" yesterday.(Made in the late 1970s

The Master has a gun on the Doctor and during their conversation exclaims "Resistance is Futile Doctor" hmm coincidence?

The same episode has the Doctor go inside a computer called a Matrix where all the brain patters of Galifrey's citizenry is held --- inside the machine the Master controls the reality to his will and the Doctor must battle and win in that reality to come out alive. Hmm

Now in the span of this one story ...we have Star Trek's Borg (saying) and Keanu Reeves' Matrix...some writers and directors must have been Dr. Who fans when they were kids.

The Robots of Death i watched this morning and it was a hoot as well. The F/X suck but the costuming and set design are usually good. It has a theater stage like quality to the production values...Robots reprogrammed to kill remaining inferior humans -- i'm sure that's been copied.

Which isn;t to say Dr. Who diodn;t copy from pulp novels and sci-fi films of yesteryear...but the matrix is always being haled as some great original piece -- it isn't.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Woochifer

Don;t know if you had the chance to see the first episode but I saw it tonight. Though I wasn't overly thrilled with it - it could take stride as the series goes on. Having about 45 minutes as a pilot is not so great so it felt rushed. It's getting some poundings in the press which I suppose part of which I agree. The new Doctor seems like a James Bond take in black leather (to be honest not too Doctorly) and i understand he has said he will quit after this season. There will be a Dalek epiode -- maybe the 5th or 6th show.

The Companion is solid surprisingly and the effects are much superior than they were but still seem to lag behind popular U.S. sci-fi shows...I was also not impressed by the interior of the Tardis but they can write alot of that out as the Tardis seems to have a number of engine rooms.

I think the main problem was the pacing which seems to go very fast with little time for plot or character develepment -- accents are stronger here as well and that alone probably killed it for the US market.

This show will need to greatly improve howver because it's on par with the 1996 McGann film -- the Doctor needs that charisma that Tom Baker had or the dignified elegance that John Pertwee posessed. For a show like this to work it is so critically actor dependant. Billie Piper held her part so Eccleston is going to need the lighter touch.

If the show is going to have to tell it's whole story arc over 45 minutes then the show is dead...all the shows in past were four to six 25 minute segments and heck some of those felt a bit rushed.

I bought the 6 key to time boxed set recently and so maybe I'm being too hard on it because I've just seen the master (Who Pun) in Tom Baker. Then again maybe I'm not...would like to hear your thoughts on it if you get a chance to see it.

Thread Information