Red face Recent Rentals...

Well, spent some time viewing movies lately and here's the skinny, at least according to moi....

1. "Alfie" - B Minus - Decent remake but a "no win" proposition if you ask me. Jude Law is overexposed and let's face it, he's no Michael Caine. Chick flick, but fellahs beware, if you're a "playah" you don't want to see this film with a girlfriend... you'll see too much of yourself in Alfie and perhaps she will too.

2. " Elektra" - C - Not as bad as the critics claimed. A decent popcorn muncher. and lets face it, Ms. Garner ain't hard on the eyes. Felt a little rushed and truncated to me and I wished they'd taken the time to let us "care" about her before dashing off to combat land.

3. "Mr. 3000" - C Minus - Bernie Mac is a good comic, who could be the next Jamie Foxx if given the right material. He's an imposing presence (dare I say scary) both in real life and on the screen. This film coulda been a home run had they allowed Mac to be more "Bad Santa" and less "Bad News Bears". When his conversion comes, you don't see the reason for it or see it coming. There are some jewels in it though...

4. "Sideways" - B - First of all don't do what I did and let your 11 year old watch this thinking it's a "light" comedy. It ain't for kids trust me. I enjoyed the film but didn't think it was "all dat" if you know what I mean. I do have to admit that I do know guys like the erstwhile groom and guys like his best man. Biggest lesson from this film, sometimes you can't help who your friends are...

Have fun, see movies, enjoy the Spring and be well.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Well, spent some time viewing movies lately and here's the skinny, at least according to moi....

1. "Alfie" - B Minus - Decent remake but a "no win" proposition if you ask me. Jude Law is overexposed and let's face it, he's no Michael Caine. Chick flick, but fellahs beware, if you're a "playah" you don't want to see this film with a girlfriend... you'll see too much of yourself in Alfie and perhaps she will too.

2. " Elektra" - C - Not as bad as the critics claimed. A decent popcorn muncher. and lets face it, Ms. Garner ain't hard on the eyes. Felt a little rushed and truncated to me and I wished they'd taken the time to let us "care" about her before dashing off to combat land.

3. "Mr. 3000" - C Minus - Bernie Mac is a good comic, who could be the next Jamie Foxx if given the right material. He's an imposing presence (dare I say scary) both in real life and on the screen. This film coulda been a home run had they allowed Mac to be more "Bad Santa" and less "Bad News Bears". When his conversion comes, you don't see the reason for it or see it coming. There are some jewels in it though...

4. "Sideways" - B - First of all don't do what I did and let your 11 year old watch this thinking it's a "light" comedy. It ain't for kids trust me. I enjoyed the film but didn't think it was "all dat" if you know what I mean. I do have to admit that I do know guys like the erstwhile groom and guys like his best man. Biggest lesson from this film, sometimes you can't help who your friends are...

Have fun, see movies, enjoy the Spring and be well.

Da Worfster
    Great writeup Worf...saw 3000 and Sideways and I agree with the reviews down to the letter. Didn't feel Sideways deserved all the hype it received...and certainly not the Best Picture nomination it got over Hotel Rowanda or The Passion.

I rented 3 flicks last night that I haven't watched yet...Maria Full of Grace, Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, and Suspect Zero. I'll give you my reviews after I see
    them all.

Nice reviews Worster. The little woman couldn't get me to sit down for Alfie, but she said she enjoyed it. I haven't seen Elektra yet, and caught Mr. 3000 on a cross country flight (not exactly an ideal environment) and when you're stuck on a plane for 5-6 hours, almost anything is better than sitting there and watching the 3 year old in front of you peek through the seats. I enjoyed it, even though it was as predictable as the sunrise. Please note the emphasis on "almost;" the first movie was the Jimmy Fallon disaster "Taxi," a movie so horrid I actually elected to listen to music and read instead. Reverend Jim needs to run over both Fallon and Queen Latifa with a real taxi for creating such a pile of dung. Ohhhkee Doke!

Sideways: brother I loved that freakin' movie ! Most definitely not for kids and I can just imagine your 11 year old's expression when Church shows up at the hotel room naked and frantically explains how the waitress' husband came home right when he had his c*** in her a**. That must have been interesting explaining that away, huh? Giamati reminded me of Jon Favreau's character in "Swingers." I agree it wasn't Best Pic material, but it was damn funny nonetheless.

Forum Regular
    Justy rented mr 3000 and suspect zero. I would give mr 3000 a c+ instead of a minus. Could have been really good, but i think it would have had to be rated r to be great, and since nobody makes r rated movies anymore...

Suspect Zero: Hmmm. Not sure if it was good or not. I guessed the story before the halfway point. Seems like a rehash of all the serial killer movies from the last ten to fifteen years. trinity should have had a larger role, and the movie could have used about 15 more minutes of character development. Much better than that one with JLo, however.

Forum Regular

Watched all three...

...here are my reviews:

1) Swimming Pool - Stuffy old Brit chick with writer's block goes to her publishers summer house in France to find something to write about...and she does(nuff said). Movie came highly recommend to me and overall I was a little disappointed. A movie of this genre type was done much better in David Lynch's "Mullholland Drive". This flick was a bit too slow for me. Acting was very good and the French villiage scenes authentic, but even though I made it through the movie...I was a bit bored in places. Rating 7/10.

2)Maria Full of Grace - Teenage Mexican girl becomes drug mule to make a better life for herself and unborn child. Amazing performance by lead actress. Supporting cast very strong as well. Story flows well with some genuinely tense scenes...particulary on the
    plane ride/airport. Some of the ordeals drug mules are subject too are protrayed in graphic detail that may gross some out...but it's probably the way it is. Ending was a bit predictable...but it felt genuine. Overall good flick. Rating 8.5/10

3)Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind - Jim Carrey is very hit and miss with me. Love some of his flicks...hate many others. I was prepared to give up on this one quickly if I wasn't "feeling it". Barely made it through the first psychedelic 1/2 hour, by then I had
    accepted what the premise was and was able to hang in there. I was glad I did. Movie
    is very different...which I give lots a props to in today's cookie cutter Hollywood, and
    while quircky...it makes an interesting point about whether it's the brain that makes
    you fall in love...or is it something else (destiny, determination, heart, etc). Carrey wasn't as overbearing as he can be, Winslett very convincing as an American free-spirit (heard
    no British accent slips), but I thought Dunst acting left a little to be desired. Rating 8/10.

In my previous email I said that I had rented Suspect Zero...but I was mistaken. I'll look
    for it today when I take these back.
    Last edited by 20to20K; 04-18-2005 at 04:59 AM. Reason: typo

Thread Information