Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Did anyone watch Person of Interest?

It's an interesting premise. While most cop/detective shows start with a crime and the storyline is about the search for the perp, this show starts with the perp or victim (you don't know their involvement initially) and then pieces together the crime.

I can see how Jonathan Nolan will influence this show, as it's kind of written like Momento was. Not backwards in the same sense, but starting with knowing that something is about to happen and then building up to it.

There were lots of "how did he know that?" and "how did he get there so quickly" types of moments in the show. You have to be willing to suspend belief if you're going to get any enjoyment from the show. But overall I did find it enjoyable. If they can keep the storylines fresh this has some major potential. But it's one of those shows where I'm afraid it might actually be too good for TV.

If I have one complaint it was with Jim Caviezel's acting. He was totally deadpan and unemotional through the entire show; kind of boring to watch. I don't know this actor so I don't know if that's how he acts all the time or if he's just playing a guy who's got nothing to lose and is, therefore, completely devoid of emotion. But I hope his performance picks up in future episodes. He delivered some good lines, but the delivery kind of sucked.

And, I have to admit, the Bad Robot logo at the end still gives me a chill...in a good way.

Oh yeah, something I forgot to mention. One of the characters is referred to as Mister Reese.

Mister Reese.

Mister Reese.

Mysteries.

Suspended
    I watched it.

It wasn't bad but I doubt I will scramble to watch it religiously.

Ben is still just Ben and he only has one act. It seems like a continuation of Lost with Ben just orchestrating things back in the real world.

Like H5O, I'm waiting for them to start utilizing Lost actors to boost ratings.

Interesting thoughts about Ben orchestrating things in the real world. I didn't see it that way at all. Michael Emerson has a certain style about him that is uniquely his. But I don't think that the character was like Ben at all. Completely opposite in fact. But I totally understand what you're saying.

Yeah, I'm not sure that this show will take off. I enjoyed it, but it's kind of dark and choppy. I hate to keep coming back to this, but the way it was filmed is very Memento-esque and I don' think that the general TV viewing public is going to go for something like that.

If I compare it to something like, say, Law and Order or CSI or other shows of that ilk, they can get dark sometimes but the characters are more 3-dimensional. They have emotions and lives that people can relate to. I'm not sure that people will related to Mr. Reese. The writers are going to have to add some depth to his character and something that people can empathize with, I think. Time will tell...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Interesting thoughts about Ben orchestrating things in the real world. Something to think about.

I didn't see it that way at all. Michael Emerson has a certain style about him that is uniquely his. But I don't think that the character was like Ben at all. Completely opposite in fact. But I totally understand what you're saying.
    I think that is the problem with actors who play a role for many years and then try to do something completely different.

Take Al Bundy, Ed O'Neill, no matter what he is in, he is always just Al Bundy.

Same goes with Neil Flynn, the Janitor from Scrubs. Now he is in The Middle but I still just see him as the quirky Janitor.

And yes, Michael Emerson, does have a "certain Style" but that is my issue with him, he only has one act. The mysterious, never give a straight answer, elusive......you know, everything he was on Lost.

Now take an actress like Amy Adams. Compare two movies, Julie and Julia and The Fighter. You barely know it's the same person. That is what I like in an actor, every part they play is different than the one they already played.

I'm sure ME was cast in this show because of his act. I just wish it was different and did not just seem like a continuation.

Kam
    it's sitting on the tivo! I have to play catchup already!
    /create

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    it's sitting on the tivo! I have to play catchup already!
    Me too! I watched the pilot but haven't watched last week's episode yet.

Thread Information