Thumbs down Did anyone notice that this summer movies sucked?

I don't mean a little I mean sucked like a a giant gaping black hole of inky stinky. Pheh, what drivel. "The Dukes of Hazard", "The Longest Yard" pheh more remake drivel. Hollywoods not only eating it's young but it's own regurgitated excrement. To quote the late great Benny Hill, "rubbage, what a load of cobblers!!!".

Da Worfster

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I don't mean a little I mean sucked like a a giant gaping black hole of inky stinky. Pheh, what drivel. "The Dukes of Hazard", "The Longest Yard" pheh more remake drivel. Hollywoods not only eating it's young but it's own regurgitated excrement. To quote the late great Benny Hill, "rubbage, what a load of cobblers!!!".

Da Worfster
    And they wondered why the box office this year sucked so much!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Kam
    will take another bad summer for any change, i think. and by the looks of it, remakes/sequels/ and comic book movies galore are what's in store. they are really drudging out every small comic book hero around to make a movie of. and if Poseidon does well, you can bet to see every other old disaster flick remade as well.
    /create

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Never noticed...probably because I didn't go see them.

It's been a pretty bad year for movies. Crash is my diamond in the rough so far.

Biggest disappointment - War of the Worlds. Oh, and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy...boring!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Never noticed...probably because I didn't go see them.

It's been a pretty bad year for movies. Crash is my diamond in the rough so far.

Biggest disappointment - War of the Worlds. Oh, and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy...boring!
    The Guide? Oh my G.d! I was so hyped to see this. Then I almost fell asleep during the movie. Probably would have if it wasn't for some "lady" cackling at everything at the top of her lungs sitting right behind me. She even laughed at the credits! Completely disappointed.

Episode III? It was OK, sorta, maybe, have trouble remembering much about it after just a couple months. Must have left a great impression.

War of the worlds? Ditto

Then they got worse.
    Last edited by GMichael; 09-13-2005 at 12:31 PM.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

JSE
    I think I saw about 2 movies this summer at the theaters. Wedding Crashers and Chocolate Factory. I'll say Wedding Crashers was the best of the two. I actually really liked it. I plan to see 40 Year Old Virgin this weekend. I am sure I saw a couple more but my mind has gone blank so they must not have been that good.

I hate all things Tom Bruised Knees so War of the Worlds was out for me. Maybe a rental, maybe. Fantastic 4 got torn up by just about everyone so it's been put off until DVD, Star Wars? Just not interested anymore. Then there were all the Epics like Troy and Alexander and others. Been there, done that. Can you imagine if Tom Cruise had played Alexander? That would have been his easiest roll ever. Batman, I am actually sorry I missed this one. Can't wait for the DVD. Missed crash as well. Will rent it soon. I hear it was probably one of the best films of the year. Hell, I just watched Sahara this last weekend. It was OK. I am a big Steve Zahn fan. I have Kung Fu Hustle on deck for tonight.

Since HT is just so good now and you can rent a DVD for $1, it just does not make sense to see every movie at the theater. I would rather sit in the "quite" of my own home with my wife and/or friends and watch a movie now.

JSE

Yes, I did notice that. The phrase I use is "these are not real movies!" when you think of Bewitched or Dukes of Hazzard or The Honeymooners or Bad News Bears, etc. However, I did like The Island, Batman Begins, and Four Brothers and I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was okay.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I only saw 3 movies this summer...they were all Star Wars.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

I only went to see Batman, WOTW and Star Wars III. I thought Batman was great. Star Wars was pretty good too. WOTW had a little too much Tom Cruise in your face the whole entire movie, but I still thought it was O.K.

Thanks for the heads up on Hitchhiker. I was actually gonna run out and buy it today. I think I'll just rent it now.

Forum Regular

Bad year for Blockbusters...

I look forward to the summer blockbusters but this had to be one of the most
    disappointing seasons ever.

The best 3 movies I saw this summer were Crash, Cinderella Man, and Hustle
    and Flow...and that's just WRONG.

The biggest turkeys were Fantastic 4, Hitchikers, and the unbelievably poorly
    acted Star Wars 3. I thought WOTW was watchable...but had a ridiculous
    ending. I thought Batman was pretty good.

There were several other movies I was considering going to see (Stealth, The Island,
    Mr. & Mrs. Smith et al)...but based on the other disappointments I didn't bother. That's probably another reason the box office sales were down...the earlier hyped up movies were so lame that many, like myself, didn't bother taking a chance on the second tier blockbusters.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Batman was a very strong comic book film but not as good as Spidey 2 last year. Still the best by a mile Batman movie

The 40 year old Virgin is an American Pie blend with There's Something About Mary. Overall The 40 year old Virgin has more heart and is IMO a better film than either. Very strong comedy -- but raunchy so if that;s not your taste avoid it.

The Constant Gardener was also excellent - a best picture calibur film with top rate performances -- but don't expect hollywood action payoffs -- this is more realistic to how things would go.

I thought Cinderella Man and Wedding Crashers were both great. Star Wars III was good, but that was bolstered by how it stood in relief of from the previous 2 train wrecks. I missed Batman and WOTW. Overall, I'd have to agree that it was a pretty dismal showing by the studios.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Yeah I forgot about Cinderella Man that is IMO the best film by Ron Howard so far.

I never saw Star Wars. The first two were dysmal bore fests that were total crap and I didn;t want Lucas to hose me out of money.

Thread Information