Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Demand Dts!!!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    to my knowledge TWISTER is not full bit rate. might help if you learn a bit about the formats before lecturing me on them. turns out it might be your equipment that is the problem as well as your opinion. i am quite aware of 96/24 and neo:6 etc etc when it comes to DTS. I've reviewed hundreds of titles at www.fulvuedrive-in.com if you want to check it out.
    Don't think it is his equipment either. It is pretty well known that the early full bitrate Dts titles by Universal are failing now. Some suspect dis rot, others have a different explaination. I am not having trouble with mine ( I have all of the full bitrate Dts disc), at least not yet.
    I found out on Hometheaterforum, and it seems to be pretty widespread
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    You should know that the Queen dvd's that you mention do not employ regular dts,but a format called 96/24 dts which is basically a dead format,some recievers(like mine )do not even decode it.The reason i bought it was that it had lpcm as this is the superior format.It has a much higher bit rate per side than either dts or dd.

bill
    How dead could it be if its being used on Morph The Cat.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    I know this may sound strang,but 96/24 dts is not the same as dts 24/96 which you find on dvd-audio.When i had the problem with the Queen disc,and by the way i rented a queen dvd with the same format and it did not work properly either,i went to my local shop and discussed it with one of the sales guys.He has been in hi-fi for 30 years and had run into it before ,he explained it was a format that had been in use,mostly in europe he thought,but was not widely used anymore.I did not ask many questions as i really did not care that much,but we tried the disc in some of their other display setups and the only one it did not work in was the cambridge.My new speakers should be in a week or so,so i will ask for some more info.

bill

Forum Regular
    Follow up

i went to dts website,seems i have been led astray by my trusted audio guy.Dts says my reciever should be able to decode it,just downrezed to 48.But that is not what happened with the queen disc,every ten seconds or so it drops a second or so of audio.All other dts discs work fine.i have tried 2 versions of this disc plus a rental of another Queen disc.Not a big problem as its only one disc and i listen in stereo anyway.

bill

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    I know this may sound strang,but 96/24 dts is not the same as dts 24/96 which you find on dvd-audio.When i had the problem with the Queen disc,and by the way i rented a queen dvd with the same format and it did not work properly either,i went to my local shop and discussed it with one of the sales guys.He has been in hi-fi for 30 years and had run into it before ,he explained it was a format that had been in use,mostly in europe he thought,but was not widely used anymore.I did not ask many questions as i really did not care that much,but we tried the disc in some of their other display setups and the only one it did not work in was the cambridge.My new speakers should be in a week or so,so i will ask for some more info.

bill
    96/24 24/96 I didnt know that.
    Look & Listen

Follow up

i went to dts website,seems i have been led astray by my trusted audio guy.Dts says my reciever should be able to decode it,just downrezed to 48.But that is not what happened with the queen disc,every ten seconds or so it drops a second or so of audio.All other dts discs work fine.i have tried 2 versions of this disc plus a rental of another Queen disc.Not a big problem as its only one disc and i listen in stereo anyway.

bill
    Hmmm, sounds like a coding issue with that particular disc. On three of my DVD-A's, I was not able to pull up the DD and/or DTS tracks when using a regular DVD video player.

Your sales guy definitely led you astray, because if you're listening to the DTS 96/24 track from a DVD-A, then it comes from the video-compatible layer, which should be no different than any other DVD video disc once it's detected. No reason whatsoever to include the DTS 96/24 track on the DVD-A layer because the tracks on that layer can render uncompressed 96/24 audio, and even with the DTS 96/24 metadata included, that format is still heavily compressed.

If you want another DTS 96/24 demo just to check on any compatiblity issues with your receiver, the Peter Gabriel Play DVD uses DTS 96/24.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Hmmm, sounds like a coding issue with that particular disc. On three of my DVD-A's, I was not able to pull up the DD and/or DTS tracks when using a regular DVD video player.

Your sales guy definitely led you astray, because if you're listening to the DTS 96/24 track from a DVD-A, then it comes from the video-compatible layer, which should be no different than any other DVD video disc once it's detected. No reason whatsoever to include the DTS 96/24 track on the DVD-A layer because the tracks on that layer can render uncompressed 96/24 audio, and even with the DTS 96/24 metadata included, that format is still heavily compressed.

If you want another DTS 96/24 demo just to check on any compatiblity issues with your receiver, the Peter Gabriel Play DVD uses DTS 96/24.
    Actually Wooch the 24/96 Dts is not so heavily compressed. The very object of Dts 24/96 is to maintain as much of the original information during encoding. Just like Dts 1509kbps format is can run lossless in many cases. Dts 24/96 compression rate is 3:1 during ordinary operation, and can run lossless in some cases. Unlike DD which relies heavily on perceptual encoding, as the Dts bitrate goes higher, it relies less and less on perceptual encoding. As the bitrate goes higher, the more sub bands Dts encoder processes. That is why Dts at 1509kbps sounds so much better and more relaxed than Dts at 754kbps.

If you were to compare full bitrate Dts with Dts 24/96, you will find that 24/96 sounds more open and has a slightly larger soundstage than regular full bitrate Dts. That is a result of better sub band encoding, and the addition of the frequencies between 24khz and 48khz.

You will be hard pressed to tell uncompressed 24/96khz from Dts 24/96 in a double blind, it is just that good.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I'll also point out that TWISTER was issued twice to DVD in the U.S. market. Only the second issue of the film has the DTS....a rarity for Warner. Wooch I seem to know more than you think I do.

I'll also point out that TWISTER was issued twice to DVD in the U.S. market. Only the second issue of the film has the DTS....a rarity for Warner. Wooch I seem to know more than you think I do.
    Uh, where did I say that the version of Twister that has the DTS soundtrack was the only release? Those Lethal Weapon DVDs that I mentioned were also reissues, if you're looking for full disclosure.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Terrence, I am waiting for a re-issue of 12 MONKEYS. The sound on the DTS Universal disc is great, but the picture...arggg. Needs a new mastering. Oh well, not bad for a disc that came out 7 years ago.

Terrence, I am waiting for a re-issue of 12 MONKEYS. The sound on the DTS Universal disc is great, but the picture...arggg. Needs a new mastering. Oh well, not bad for a disc that came out 7 years ago.
    Reissue came out last year. I read that the video was cleaned up, new bonus features were added, but the DTS track was not added since Universal decided to keep the new edition to a single disc (and not a flipper DVD-18 format). List price though is $15, which means it streets for around $12.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Yes, I know they re-issued it...I want that new edition w/ DTS of course. What new bonus features are there that were not on the older one? They looked the same when I looked at the packaging, but maybe there are some new ones....?

Yes, I know they re-issued it...I want that new edition w/ DTS of course. What new bonus features are there that were not on the older one? They looked the same when I looked at the packaging, but maybe there are some new ones....?
    Actually, you're right. The bonus features stayed roughly the same as the previous DD-only version. The big difference was the new video transfer.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

I am glad that they did a new transfer, but that's no excuse to not use the DTS track from the previous DVD. Although even that could have been redone a tad.

Forum Regular
    Wooch
    I rented that Peter Gabriel disc you mentioned this morning and it works fine.Very strange,i tried the Queen disc again,same problem.Something does not add up.

bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information