Cool Movies with Memorable Soundtrack

There are some movies that one remember the music in it better than movie itself. And the music and songs elevate the emotion felt for movie.

Here are couple of movies that combine sound and vision in perfect harmony........

Sling blade (1996):Soothing music follow Billy Ray Thornton as he get off the bus and explore his hometown.

Easy Rider (1969):Drugs, motorcycle, outdoor scenery and good music. What a combination!

High Noon (1952):Haunting songs by Rex Ritter

Bring out the Dead (1999):Martin Scorsese inject music at the right time elevate this movie to new height.

The Graduate (1967): Music of Simon&Garfunkel portray the emotions felt in each scenes.

Do the Right Thing (1989): The song “Fight The Power” by Public Enemy, set the tone for movie.
    Last edited by Smokey; 11-11-2006 at 07:55 PM.

I like your thread.

This has always been on the top of my mind.

Thin Red Line

Nuff Said!!

JRA

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Edward Scissorhands. Gotta love that Danny Elfman soundtrack. As strange and quirky as Edward himself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Edward Scissorhands. Gotta love that Danny Elfman soundtrack. As strange and quirky as Edward himself.
    I think you chose this movie because Johnny Depp is "Dreamy". Isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I think you chose this movie because Johnny Depp is "Dreamy". Isn't he?

Give the lady benefit of doubt. Was going to include Godfather in my list. But since FA have not seen it, left it off

Seen Edward Scissorhands with its mesmerising soundtrack, but not seen Thin Red Line which seem to be loaded with my favorite actors

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Seen Edward Scissorhands with its mesmerising soundtrack, but not seen Thin Red Line which seem to be loaded with my favorite actors
    Smokey,

That movie is INCREDIBLE. I guess you can say that I'm a pacifist. So in general, I never liked war movies. But that movie is probably is one of my favorite movies of all time. I guess I love that movie because it makes me feel happily sad. Kinda like Hemingway's WW1 storys. Nobody I know loved that movie. But hey, what do I know. My favorite TV sitcom is "Becker"!!!

-JRA

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Yeah, I'll second Edward Scissorhands; and although I find Winona Ryder pretty hot, it's that almost Nutcracker-esque melodiousness that I find endearing about the soundtrack.

My original nominations:

Virgin Suicides -- classic 70's rock just made the film so completely retro (does anyone else remember all those trees dying back then?); add the wistful melancholy of Air (especially "Playground Love"), and you have holistic completeness.

From Dusk Til Dawn -- Tex-mexican radio; strip club music; and Graeme Revell's horrorific score -- what do they have in common? This movie, pretty much.

And pretty much any other Quentin Tarantino movie -- the man is totally on my wavelength when it comes to picking songs for movies.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I would agree with the following:

DO THE RIGHT THING
    THE VIRGIN SUICIDES
    THE GRADUATE

and also add the following:

THE GODFATHER
    AMERICAN BEAUTY
    DOCTOR ZHIVAGO
    STAR WARS
    DIRTY DANCING
    STARSHIP TROOPERS
    2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
    A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
    FOREST GUMP
    LOVE STORY
    ROMEO AND JULIET
    SCARFACE
    CAST AWAY (just kidding)
    GLADIATOR
    ACROSS 110th STREET
    HEAVEN'S GATE
    BLADE RUNNER
    SHAFT
    SUSPIRIA
    HALLOWEEN
    THE THIRD MAN
    CASABLANCA
    THE LION KING
    and many many more that I can't think of right now...

Good topic....

As soundtracks go:

1. "Superfly" - The finest modern movie soundtrack ever, spawned 3 Top Ten Hits, "Superfly", "Feddies Dead", "Pusherman". How Curtis Mayfield didn't get an Oscar and Issac Hayes did for "Shaft" is beyond me.

2. "Trouble Man" - Marvin Gaye's moody deliberate soundtrack for this less than inspiring Blaxplotation film. Good work.

3. "Harold and Maude" - Just saw this classic Cult Movie yesterday on TCM and loved the "Cat Stevens" soundtrack. Marvelous, simply marvelous.

4. "Batman" - All that and Prince too?

5. "Purple Rain" - His purple badnesses finest hour.

6. "Do the Right Thing" - "Fight the Power" is one amazing video/song.
    "MuthaF**K him and John Wayne!!!!" Oh my god... what rebel music.

7. "The Harder They Come" - Who heard a dis ere Reggae Music a fore dis.

8. "Sammy and Rosey Get Laid" - "London Calling"!!!!

9. "Glory Road" - The early 60's done right, last song, a new version of Curtis Mayfields "People Get Ready".

10. "Gladiator" - Enough to make you want to get your sword and go a fightin'.

Da Worfster

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    This ones a little odd, but I really dig the soundtrack for Rushmore. I listen to it very frequently. Some well chosen hits and some cute new music by who ever Mark Mothersbaugh is. The Kinks 'Nothing in this world can stop me worryin' bout that girl' is perfect (and kind of hard to find too).

...actually I kinda like the soundtracks to all of Wes Anderson's flick.

Which reminds me, I need to change my opinion...

THE BEST SOUNDTRACK EVER has got to be the one for The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004). I don't know who wouldn't like solo acoustic covers of Bowie songs sung in Portuguese by Seu Jorge. The DVD comes with a bonus disk of a dozen or so takes of Bowie songs a la Jorge (I extracted the audio content to CD). I believe you can now purchase them on a CD titled The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions. I'd give this a strong recommendation over the official soundtrack. Seriously.
    Last edited by noddin0ff; 11-13-2006 at 07:31 AM.

Go ahead, it's OK...

you KNOW you want to bob your head!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ypI5WmyJ...h=what+is+love

Thanks for the love guys.

What an excellent suggestion of movies with extraordinary soundtrack. Some I have seen, some haven’t, and some plum forgot about such as Scarface and Shaft

May be American Graffiti belong somewhere in the list also

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Add "Last of the Mohicans", and maybe Tangerine Dream's score for "Thief", one of my favorite films.

As one of the new age rockers in the group i gotta say my favorite soundtrack is "the Crow"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Movies with Memorable Soundtrack-crow_15.jpg  
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Thread Information